Zip program for Linux [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Zip program for Linux

IndyGunFreak
12-14-2004, 15:23
I'm going to be installing Linux Mandrake on my PC here in a week or so, and in going over alot of my files that will be compatible with Linux..(MP3s, etc..), 90% of them are zipped to try and save space and try to keep my CD's at least fairly organized...

I'm sure there's one out there. I use a registered copy of Winzip in Windows, but it doesn't look like they offer a Linux version...

Comments on different products, versions, etc..?

Thanks
IGF

Washington,D.C.
12-14-2004, 15:51
"Ark","Unzip" and Gunzip" might work.Those work for compressed Linux files.I haven't tried Windows zip files in Linux.Which Mandrakelinux version exactly are you going to be using?

David_G17
12-14-2004, 16:42
gunzip (included in the install) should work.

"zip" is sort of an algorithm and not really as hard to replicate as you might think.

HerrGlock
12-14-2004, 18:57
zip and unzip comes with every version of *NIX I've used and I've never had a problem with any zip thing anyone's sent.

File roller is a graphical unzipper/zipper, etc.

There are any number out there. For almost any program, try freshmeat.net and sourceforge.net.

DanH

unixglocker
12-14-2004, 22:51
Zipping your MP3's by the way, is not an effective use of CPU ; )

fastvfr
12-14-2004, 23:56
Debian's Ark opens up .zip files same as it does a tarball, only quicker.

It doesn't like .rar files, though!! ;Q :cool:

IndyGunFreak
12-15-2004, 01:00
Originally posted by unixglocker
Zipping your MP3's by the way, is not an effective use of CPU ; )

I zip everything. Its just easier to keep things organized. I zip my internet fav places, pics, etc.., everything.

Its worked for me for about 10yrs, no need to stop now.. :)

IGF

grantglock
12-15-2004, 08:26
an mp3 is already a compressed file, compressing it again does nothing.

bytelevel
12-19-2004, 21:05
I zip everything. Its just easier to keep things organized. I zip my internet fav places, pics, etc.., everything.

tar is your friend here. If you're going to be using something unix-like, I'd recommend reading up on it. "tar balls" are simply collections of files - uncompressed archives. They make a lot of sense when compressing the collection makes no sense.

If you want, you can compress the tar ball once it's created. This is why you'll frequently see files for downloading stored as .tar.gz

Hope that helps.