I've Never Been [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : I've Never Been

XD40FAN
12-14-2004, 17:19
I fish almost every weekend and have lots of guns, but they only go to the range. Outside of jackrabbits with pellet guns, I've never really been hunting. I'd LOVE to go!!

Question is, how do I get started? I've read some books and lots of magazine articles, and they are very helpful - but not really what I'm looking for.

My grandfather was an avid hunter, but my dad wasn't interested. The sport has not been passed down. I have no family members or close friends that are hunters.

Basically, I need someone to teach me.

So my question is: Would it be best to hire a guide?

I've asked around the local gun shops, sporting good stores, etc. with no luck in finding an individual who would be interested.

There are however, LOTS of local guides (Northern Nevada).

Any suggestions?

XD40FAN
12-14-2004, 17:49
Did I also mention my passion for food having alot to do with this? ;f

noway
12-14-2004, 17:59
A guide might be the answer. But 1st what do you want to hunt?

just syaing I love to go hunting is a general statement. Your best bet is to find a local hunter or hunt club that offers the type of hunting you are looking at getting your paws dirty in. Listen and watch and enjoy. That would be the best experience that you can get and you should pick up alot local area information. Learn the technique, game laws, where to go,etc......

I don't know nevada, but you have alot of wide open area and plenty of game running in that state. ;f

XD40FAN
12-14-2004, 18:14
Originally posted by noway
A guide might be the answer. But 1st what do you want to hunt?

just syaing I love to go hunting is a general statement. Your best bet is to find a local hunter or hunt club that offers the type of hunting you are looking at getting your paws dirty in. Listen and watch and enjoy. That would be the best experience that you can get and you should pick up alot local area information. Learn the technique, game laws, where to go,etc......

I don't know nevada, but you have alot of wide open area and plenty of game running in that state. ;f

Deer to start - mostly because I'm getting sick of paying lots of venison. But we can get mountain lion tags (2 a year, no draw) here no problem and that looks like fun!

Also, boars in Northern California.

We also have large populations of elk. Turkeys are coming back as well.

noway
12-15-2004, 01:00
suggestion talk to a guide/outfitter, watch everything they do and ask alot of ????s. That will provide you with a host of knowledge prior to you jumping in with non or little experience.

nevada is a nice state ( from what I read ) and I bet you will get hours and days of enjoy with hunting and Deer is quite good , any which way you cook it. I would probably say Bison & Elk is superior to vension , but deer meat is not bad.

;)

lomfs24
12-15-2004, 22:12
My dad got me started on hunting. But that's about it. He showed me how to dress a deer and that's about it. He took me elk hunting once or twice and at that time it just seemed like a lot of walking to me. Everything I have learned I have pretty much learned my self. Rent some hunting videos. Watch what they do but don't take it as gospel. There is a lot of hype to them. Try some of the ideas and see if they work.

For instance. A well known author of elk hunting books says that when you bugle an elk and he responds, try to figure where he is, cut the distance in half and wait or bugle again. That doesn't work here. Apparently because of the terrain they will come in fast and you will get about 1/3 the distance and bust them out of the timber.

Listen to what guys are saying around sporting goods stores. Again, take everything you hear with a grain of salt. There are a lot of tall tales there.

As you start to be around these type of people you will begin to make friends and eventually hunting buddies. As the old saying goes "If you want a million dollars would you hang out with a millionaire or someone who lives in a trailer house?"

Most importantly get out there and make mistakes. Learn from your mistakes and move on. Man has an inherent ability to adapt. You will be a full fledges hunter before you know it.

XD40FAN
12-16-2004, 13:32
Thanks everyone.

Off the the store to look for some videos, particularly the ones on dressing. I haven't a clue where to start with that!

ithaca_deerslayer
12-20-2004, 15:50
Here's a website with some of the info.

http://www.whitetaildeer.com

The left menu has a link to field dressing.

They say "deap circular cut around rectum". Um, let's call it bunghole, and I'll say not a deap cut but rather a careful cut. Do not cut into the meat. Do not cut the bunghole itself. Instead, you want to loosen it's connective tissues so you can slide it out of the pelvic region. Yes, do pull it out a bit and tie it off with a string, then when you gut (when you cut the skin so you can get the guts out) you pull the bunghole inside toward the guts and it will then drop out with the guts. The consideration for all of this is to keep poop out of your dressed deer.

When cutting open the gut region, you will delicately cut the skin from just above the pelvic bone to just below the higest spot before the ribcage. Bascially you are opening up the skin so the guts can fall out, and so you can reach up and pull out the lungs and other organs. You do not need to cut the pelvic bone, and you do not need to cut into the ribcage. When making this cut, cutting the skin so the guts come out, be very careful, very delicate, to not cut the guts themselves. There are different techniques, but basically use one hand to pinch the skin away from the guts, while the other hand carefully cuts the skin. The when the guts are starting to spill out, turn the deer over to the guts just start to fall out on their own. Grab the tail and the head to turn the deer over and slightly lift it off the ground to all to the guts to fall out.

They also mention "making sure all the tissue is cut away from the backbone". I find that all the gut stuff just pulls away, and doesn't need to be cut. Just make sure you don't cut the tenderloins, which are laying against the back, on the inside.

They also mention cutting the windpipe. Again, I find that does not need to be cut, but will pull free with a good tug. The lungs, themselves will need a good tug to pull free, too.