Bit Torrent [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Bit Torrent

AAshooter
12-14-2004, 19:38
I understand this is the hot new app for downloading all sorts of stuff using peer-to-peer networking. I hear it is fast and really causing some IT folks real headaches. I have heard people claim it accounts for about 30% of internet traffic ;P

What do people know about it?

NetNinja
12-14-2004, 20:57
Yeah go ahead and use it and download a movie or music.

Then the FBI will come knocking on your door.

Beware! They are looking now.

hwyhobo
12-14-2004, 21:32
Originally posted by AAshooter
I understand this is the hot new app for downloading all sorts of stuff using peer-to-peer networking. I hear it is fast and really causing some IT folks real headaches. I have heard people claim it accounts for about 30% of internet traffic ;P What do people know about it? If you want to waste your home network bandwidth, go right ahead, but beware of using things like that at work. Believe me, IT departments worth their salt do know what is going on on the network and who is running what. It is trivial to do so. Most IT departments will also limit bandwidth available to such apps.

podwich
12-14-2004, 22:02
Bit Torrent basically downloads portions of a file from many different people (same idea with uploading-you upload a small part to a person). If alot of people are hosting the same file, your download speeds can be rather fast.

It isn't really all that anonymous, so be aware of what you are downloading/uploading.

unixglocker
12-14-2004, 22:57
It's cool and there is not really a way for it to be stopped.
This is not like peer to peer stuff you have seen before like Kawhatever it's called.

fastvfr
12-14-2004, 23:42
This is not like peer to peer stuff you have seen before like Kawhatever it's called.

That much is indeed true. There are central BT servers that store IP's and link info so when you go looking for a file, everyone who has that file, or a portion thereof, is listed and if they are online, you get a piece of their bandwidth.

And the Feds are going to subpoena those server records very soon, no doubt about it.

Kaaza Lite or WinMX, while risky, are a better risk than BT for many reasons. For one thing, you have to allow the swappers access to one or more files; with Bit Torrent, there is usually access to your entire drive.

If someone is looking for XP Pro, and you're running it with an nLite .iso of it slipstreamed to SP2 sitting on the drive, there will be a bunch of people sucking it down every minute you are online.

And there is a complete record of who you are and where you are, and even what you have traded and snagged yourself. Beware.

With a P2P app, the Feds can see what you have made available for trade. If you have 20 files in your shared folder, then that is all the heat you can draw. It's the screwballs with 50GB of copyrighted music sitting there on a T1 that are getting sued right now.

And when those fools are all busted, then it'll be the teenager with 100 songs getting pinched....then ten songs will attract attention...you get the picture.

Personally, I buy CD's. But to each their own!!

AAshooter
12-15-2004, 00:01
Originally posted by podwich
Bit Torrent basically downloads portions of a file from many different people (same idea with uploading-you upload a small part to a person). If alot of people are hosting the same file, your download speeds can be rather fast.

It isn't really all that anonymous, so be aware of what you are downloading/uploading.

But I thought Kazaa (and maybe others) took advantage of multiple peers to upload from if they both had the file. Is that not true? Is that what makes Bit Torrent so fast/popular.

Also, if you are looking for the "less popular" stuff. It sounds like BT is less significant. Right?

unixglocker
12-15-2004, 00:11
as soon as you start downloading, you can be uploading, before it's even finished. it's all ad-hoc and chunks of the file can go from and to many people at he same time. So you bandwidth is used completely to the max.

No worries about the RIAA and MPAA whatever going after you on a freenet node.
http://freenet.sourceforge.net/

Freenet is slow, there are not movies and games and all that there, but it is an interesting anonymous system.

AAshooter
12-15-2004, 23:01
Originally posted by fastvfr
That much is indeed true. There are central BT servers that store IP's and link info so when you go looking for a file, everyone who has that file, or a portion thereof, is listed and if they are online, you get a piece of their bandwidth.

And the Feds are going to subpoena those server records very soon, no doubt about it.

Kaaza Lite or WinMX, while risky, are a better risk than BT for many reasons. For one thing, you have to allow the swappers access to one or more files; with Bit Torrent, there is usually access to your entire drive.

If someone is looking for XP Pro, and you're running it with an nLite .iso of it slipstreamed to SP2 sitting on the drive, there will be a bunch of people sucking it down every minute you are online.

And there is a complete record of who you are and where you are, and even what you have traded and snagged yourself. Beware.

With a P2P app, the Feds can see what you have made available for trade. If you have 20 files in your shared folder, then that is all the heat you can draw. It's the screwballs with 50GB of copyrighted music sitting there on a T1 that are getting sued right now.

And when those fools are all busted, then it'll be the teenager with 100 songs getting pinched....then ten songs will attract attention...you get the picture.

Personally, I buy CD's. But to each their own!!

Interesting comments. Why do you see other peer-to-peer networks less risky than BT for those that use it to break the law? I don't understand why it would be inherently more risky.

fastvfr
12-15-2004, 23:26
Because BT is not decentralized like P2P is.

In order to use Bit Torrent, you must register with them. And from that point on, your file-sharing information on their servers is updated regularly, which allows them to better keep track of the files you have gotten, the ones you have shared, and the ones you are in the process of sharing/downloading.

With a P2P service, your Shared file folder only opens when you go online and have the app open; the info is there 24/7 on Bit Torrent - even when you aren't online or DLing anything.

And a subpoena of those server records will give the authorities more than enough information on you to instantly bring charges.

I said it before, and I'll say it again: I buy my copyrighted material from the record store. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!!