Shared Printer or Print Server [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Shared Printer or Print Server

N2DFire
12-15-2004, 14:50
Hand in hand with my other thread ( Securing XP Pro from the end user (http://www.glocktalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=320586) ) - part of this network upgrade project I'm working on will have 2 PC's in the same room on the same workgroup & physical LAN.

What I need to be able to do is have both PC's able to print to that printer AND I also need to allow any "guest" systems on the wireless LAN to print to this printer as well.

Catch - it needs to be as easy as possible for the wireless users as some are not so tech savvy.

Currently I have the printer on the existing system shared and I can map it & print to it from my Laptop (on a separate domain from work) with no problems, however explaining how to do this over and over again is not something that really appeals to me.

I am looking at using a USB print server like the HPS1U by Hawking Technologies (newegg has em for $30 after MIR).

I have never fooled with print server devices like this before and was curious if this was really the answer to my problem. Anyone with experience in doing this feel free to pass on your experiences and advice.

fastvfr
12-15-2004, 16:10
If you set up a central file/print server, as I suggested in the other post you made, then anyone who has access to the server would automatically send any jobs to the queue for printing on the server's printer.

Easy as that.

DragonRider
12-15-2004, 21:20
The option I do is tell the people to add a printer and have them select local printer, then they choose tcp/ip and type in the address of the printer on my system. That way I dont need to setup a new user to my system. Or they can plug into the Paralle or USB cable on the back of it.

It all depends if I give them access to my network.