I have Internet Explorer How Would I .... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : I have Internet Explorer How Would I ....

mrdoright04/05
12-15-2004, 14:39
Benefit from Firefox?

fastvfr
12-15-2004, 15:00
First, delete all shortcuts to IE from the desktop, Export the Bookmarks and Addy Book to the Desktop, and cease using it.

Then install Mozilla or Firefox, and use it exclusively for browsing the Web.

If you decide to go with Firefox, it is a stand-alone browser and has no mail client. Download Thunderbird to handle POP/SMTP transactions.

The Favorites and Address Books will transfer over just fine.

As long as you don't open IE, the bugs it attracts will not affect you...and you cannot get hijacked anymore!!;f

mrdoright04/05
12-15-2004, 15:24
Ok Thanks.

Gecko10
12-15-2004, 16:05
Allegedly it is more secure. I really don't know if that is because of its programing or most hackers attack IE because most people use it.

Regardless, I've been using FF for about a week now. Like it and no problems, so far. It appears to be a little faster than IE on my machine.

Melete
12-15-2004, 16:36
Tabbed Browsing -- it grows on you

Cool extentions -- whatever your particular quirks are, there are tools that make browsing just a little easier (my faves: Linky, FarkIt, GMailCompose)

Better Popup Blocking

Less Chance of scrweing up your computer if a security hole is found

Faster, quicker to load, takes up less RAM (most of the time)

I'm sure there are many others, but those are the big things I get out of Firefox

Melete
12-15-2004, 16:37
By the way, don't try to totally get rid of IE -- you'll need it to view maybe 5% of the sites you go to, for one reason or another.

You can't really "get rid" of it anyway, and it'll just annoy you to have to go hunting for it. Set Firefox to be your default browser, and you should be good.

mrdoright04/05
12-15-2004, 18:02
Ok Thanks. I just make the change. Just a couple more questions. I cant seem to get the Thunderbird email to work properly. Keeps saying something about POP 3. I usually use yahoo email. Is is safe to continue with my yahoo emails? What about Yahoo Lauch music videos?

mrdoright04/05
12-15-2004, 19:16
WOW! My pc is running great since I changed over. No pop ups and and no crashes so far. But id did delete two viruses PSW.Bispy.D and PSW.BisbyA

Washington,D.C.
12-15-2004, 19:46
With Yahoo POP mail is a paid service.Thunderbird won't work with free Yahoo.Thunderbird requires POP mail or the newer IMAP.Yahoo Singapore has free POP mail but you must sign up for another e-mail adress on Yahoo Singapore.It is in English.http://www.yahoo.com.sg