Is This Possible on a Laptop?? Need Advice.. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Is This Possible on a Laptop?? Need Advice..

Nalapombu
12-15-2004, 17:38
Hey all,

My sister and I are thinking of getting our dad a laptop for XMAS. If he gets one he would use it primarily to browse the Internet and maybe pay some of his bills online.
Here is what I need to know. At our HOME I have a Cable modem connection on my desktop. If he gets a laptop I would set it up so he could access my cable modem via a wireless connection. No problem so far.
He goes to an office he has set up everyday and I figure he would want to do some puter work over there. He would most likely get another Cable modem at that location and connect to it via a network cable and physically plug it in to the modem.
Would he be able to set up the laptop so that he could access the internet both at home and at his office even though it is 2 different connections? Would it be easy enough for him to do? Keep in mind that he is a real novice at computer tech issues, all he knows is to do basic stuff. I wouldn't want something that I would have to go over to his office every other day and set it up for him and then do the same thing when he came home that evening. That would get old real fast.
So is it possible to do what I describe with little or no hassle involved? I would appreciate your input.

Thanks

Nala

Delta
12-15-2004, 17:56
Get him a wireless router set-up for his Office, then you set up the laptop one time.

Wherever he goes he can be connected.

B

djcerna
12-15-2004, 17:57
I currently have a Netgear wireless router and Netgear wireless card and have the exact same setup that you are describing. All I have to do is just switch "profiles". Profiles on my laptop are programed channels, SSID, and 128 bit encryption for security that I have already assigned. No big deal. Works great!

Egyas
12-15-2004, 20:01
Yes. Especially if he uses a wired-connection at work. If you use XP or 2000, then you will create a separate network connection for each (1 for wired, 1 for wireless). They maintain their own settings, so the laptop will work in both places.

My laptop uses wired at work, and wireless at home. Works on both the Linux side, and the Windows XP VMWare session.

lomfs24
12-15-2004, 20:19
As you can probably see, not only is it possible, it is realativly easy. Just set up the wireless card to see the network at home and then set up the wired network interface (probably onboard) to be used at work.

In fact, Windoze will recognize several wireless networks. They are in the prefered network list. Usually and easiest is to have the router hand out IP addresses via DHCP. Then he would also be able to access the internet at some resturants, motels, coffee shops, etc... It is pretty easy really.

frefoo
12-15-2004, 20:54
Originally posted by Nalapombu
Hey all,

....If he gets a laptop I would set it up so he could access my cable modem via a wireless connection....

He goes to an office he has set up everyday and I figure he would want to do some puter work over there. He would most likely get another Cable modem at that location and connect to it via a network cable and physically plug it in to the modem.
Would he be able to set up the laptop so that he could access the internet both at home and at his office even though it is 2 different connections?

Nala

I do this everyday, at Home I have a wireless card configured to connect to my home network.

At work I dont use my wireless card and plug a cable into my laptop and access the office network that way.

Basiclly the wireless and the "cabled" network are seperate connections. Windows will look for either when it boots up and if one network (home/office) is present it will configure the card (assuming DHCP). If one is "missing" then it just wont use it, however the present connection will configure.

Taking things a extra step... My wireless card software (most are this way) is set up with profiles, "home, work, client1, client2, client3 , etc). As a result I dont need to have different connections, I am able to get access to a network (home, office, client1.....) via my wireless card if I know the right keys for the given place I am at. At work I perfer a wired connection however I can use wireless if I want.

Dave

N2DFire
12-16-2004, 10:02
Originally posted by lomfs24
As you can probably see, not only is it possible, it is realativly easy. Just set up the wireless card to see the network at home and then set up the wired network interface (probably onboard) to be used at work.

In fact, Windoze will recognize several wireless networks. They are in the prefered network list. Usually and easiest is to have the router hand out IP addresses via DHCP. Then he would also be able to access the internet at some resturants, motels, coffee shops, etc... It is pretty easy really.

Bingo.

My laptop (for work) uses a docking station while at work (this equals a physical wired connection)

When I take it home it uses my wireless network there.

When I take it to my Volunteer Rescue Squad Station it uses the wireless network there.

The 2 wireless networks have different setting & encryption keys but connecting to them is transparent to me because of how XP manages wireless connections.

For what you are asking - I wouldn't even bother to try and create profiles - that's just one more thing for your not-so-tech-savvy dad to try and remember.