Neoprene knee braces (non-hinged) actually work? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Neoprene knee braces (non-hinged) actually work?

bluemeanie
12-16-2004, 14:06
The root of my new-found knee pains are diet-related, I'm pretty sure.

While I work on that, I'd like to continue going to karate class and minimize the workarounds I have to do for it.

I see two basic types of knee braces in my local sports shop, hinged, which would really limit my mobility for most kicks, and these trick little neoprene sleeves with built in wrestling pads.

I think the pads will help when we're wrestling and grappling, I'd just like to know if this type of brace is actually good for support.

Animal Mother
12-18-2004, 07:49
It really depends on the kind of pain you're experiencing. I've worn a neoprene sleeve as part of my functional knee brace in the past, primarily to prevent dislocation of my kneecap after an injury. The neoprene sleeves do provide some pressure and support which may help alleviate some pain, but I suspect the effect is as much psychological as it is physical.

MtnBiker
12-18-2004, 22:41
I blew out my ACL 2 years ago doing Randori in Judo class. They rebuilt my ACL and it's about 95%. I'm really pleased with it.

I don't wear a knee brace, except to play racquet ball. All the stops and starts and direction changes made my knee hurt. I just wear a neoprene brace, with a hole over the knee cap.

It works great.

bluemeanie
12-19-2004, 13:12
Luckily, by working around it ant taking a break for the past few days, the pain has eased for the most part. I made an appointment with a sports medicine/ortho doc that I've seen before, just for some insight into how I can keep it from happening again.

Only me left knee seems to be a nagging problem, as it definitely talks to me about being positioned incorrectly, and clicks and pops a little when I try to reposition it.

AM, It's hard to describe the kind of pain, but it seemed to be a soreness that wouldn't ease, accompanied (mostly in the left knee) by a sensation that things were pulling in directions that they shouldn't be. All in all, that was more an "unstable" feeling than a painful one.

MtnBiker, I can see the psychological value of the brace. Maybe the warming effect it has is helpful, too. The pads will be nice for grappling practice, but if I can avoid wearing the braces, a normal, less-restrictive knee pad will serve.