Buy Photoshop?? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Buy Photoshop??

Romadoc
12-17-2004, 08:46
I would like something to sharpen up or correct my digital photos. Have no experience with Photoshop and no idea of which version to get. Perhaps there might be some other product to serve a rank amateur. I have no pretensions of being either the great photographer or designer. Just want to have some fun and improve shots of grand-kids and vacations. Perhaps this thread would be better in "Non-Glocking". Suggestions please.

NetNinja
12-17-2004, 08:51
If I remember correctly there is a program on the Linux side of things called GIMP.

Pretty much a Photoshop replacement. But since I am not a picture editing guru I cannot comment on whether or not it does.

I know one thing for sure, you better read the manual. you can dowload it from thier website.

They have made a Windows port of it but you have to install some toher programs to get it to run.

http://www.gimp.org/

Have fun.

Wulfenite
12-17-2004, 09:12
I have heard that Photo Shop Elements has most of the features of the full version of PS that most non-professionals actually need/use....... at a more reasonable price.

Washington,D.C.
12-17-2004, 09:41
I bought a discontinued scanner.It wasn't a cheap one but the clearance price was $30.It included a light version of Adobe Photoshop.Also make sure the version you get works with your OS.The latest version doesn't work with many older versions of Windows.The previous version works with all Windows including XP.

hwyhobo
12-17-2004, 10:58
I use both GIMP on Windows (and Linux) and Photoshop. For the tasks described by the original poster, GIMP is certainly more than adequate (it is very competent, in fact). For anything that requires work with colorspaces, GIMP and Photoshop are in different leagues.

Oh, GIMP is free.

bobby_w
12-17-2004, 13:45
Adobe Photoshop Elements 3 is an excellent and mature entry level photo/imaging tool. It will do more when your ready.

Can be had for a fair price, Amazon being one one of them.

Photo Shop Elements 3 on Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0002UDM2Q/ref%3Dnosim/handchosen-20/104-5914509-0634312)

TBO
12-17-2004, 14:24
Originally posted by bobby_w
Adobe Photoshop Elements 3 is an excellent and mature entry level photo/imaging tool. It will do more when your ready.

Can be had for a fair price, Amazon being one one of them.

Photo Shop Elements 3 on Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0002UDM2Q/ref%3Dnosim/handchosen-20/104-5914509-0634312) ^c

gamegod86
12-17-2004, 17:01
GIMP is definitely worth looking into.

http://gimp-win.sourceforge.net/

This links to GIMP for Windows. (although that may seem an oxymoron to some...)

It seems to do most of the basic things that Photoshop does.

Free is good.

Furant
12-17-2004, 17:30
GIMP will definitely do what you need. However, it is not the most user-friedly program in the world if you're not already an expert in digital image manipulation.

I would highly recommend either Photoshop Elements or JASC's PaintShop Pro. Both can be had for under $100 and are worth their money - I would actually lean more towards Paintshop Pro as it is more powerful.

Finally, if all you want to do is crop, resize, gamma correct, red-eye reduction, and basic filters, IrfanView is free, user-friendly and the best image viewer around.

Joey

prism
12-17-2004, 18:50
check ebay for "photoimpact" software.

I have version 6, and like it. versions 7 and 8 would be more recent and have more features, I suppose.

morpheusfx
12-18-2004, 07:39
older versions of photoshop can be had on auction sites for nearly nothing.
Most of the great stuff photoshop has to offer, minus of course the new additions, super cheap price.

fatlander
12-19-2004, 14:34
Just so you have an alternative POV Jasc Paint Shop Pro IMHO is more intuitive, cheaper and suitable for image processing

Tvov
12-19-2004, 14:47
Did your computer come with any programs to work with photos? We use Photoimpression 4, it came with our Gateway. Works fine, and we can do all sorts of things with photos. Dig through the programs on your computer, you may have a photo program already. Also, if you are using a digital camera, did it come with a photo editing program? Many do. For basic photo stuff, there are a ton of free programs floating around.

If you want to get fancy, buying a program is certainly worth it.

Locke
12-21-2004, 18:13
Personally, I use Paint Shop Pro by Jasc.