Data transfer suggestions needed. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Data transfer suggestions needed.

lwt210
12-17-2004, 16:40
My home laptop has a CD burner running Windows XP. This system has no floppy drive.

My office/car computer has a 1.44 floppy drive and is running Windows 2000. This system has no CD drive.

What I need to do is get data from two CDs (a typing program and a Criminal law program in Adobe format) installed on my office system. The typing program I can live without but I really need the law e-book put on my work laptop.

What is the best way to accomplish this? Can I go USB port to USB port with a cable?

Or do I need to buy/borrow an external floppy drive, hook it up to the home laptop, and transfer all of that data to floppies and then load them on the work laptop?

Or will a USB jump drive work? Do those require you to download
software to the system or are they plug and play?

My office system has administrator security on it. Plugging an optical mouse works where a digital camera does not. They don't care if I add stuff like I am wanting to the system. It is just that getting ahold of one of the IT techs around here is like passing a new law. Very time consuming.

Any help/suggestions appreciated.

tjbert47
12-17-2004, 17:02
If you use the USB cable you will have to set up a LAN. With the USB jump drive there is nothing to do except plug it in and store data on it. move to the other computer on copy data there.

Tom in TN

modgun
12-17-2004, 17:11
Just be sure that the usb drive is plug and play with win 2000. They are pnp with xp, but 98 requires drivers for some and 2000, I dont know. I have used some on an ME machine and one was pnp and the other wasnt.

You could also use a cf card and reader, or any other card big enough.

gamegod86
12-17-2004, 18:06
Both connected (or connectable) to the 'Net?

If it's not too large, maybe you can email it to yourself...

Probably a good idea to zip it (or RAR it) first.

fastvfr
12-17-2004, 18:30
I use an external USB 120GB Hard drive for things like this.

The drive is divided into a 80GB NTFS partition and a 35GB (or so) FAT32 partition, which allows data from Win9x on to be stored.

This is arguably the best $100 I have ever spent on computer gear.