Deer rifle question? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Deer rifle question?

bachchoy
12-17-2004, 21:36
I use a winchester 30-30 for such a hunt but:

I have a uncle from another country that wants to go hunting for whitetails here in Kentucky. As far as I know he has never gone hunting in his life.

What would be a good rifle for him to hunt with for the first time? Something simple to use and decent recoil. I need rifle recommendations and caliber.

Thanks!
:)

DocHolliday
12-17-2004, 23:20
What is your budget? An British Enfield would do nicely and you can get them for around 80.00, plus major companies make good ammo for them. You don't get much simpler than a good bolt action. Otherwise another .30-30, or a .30-06 with Remington's managed recoil round should do nicely.

Here are some good Enfield photos.
http://www.pointmanspage.com/gallery/Enfields

Doc

FullClip
12-18-2004, 10:25
Just because your uncle has never been hunting, may not mean that he's never been shooting. Two very different subjects.
I'll second that a bolt action as the simplest unit, but if he has never shot a rifle before, you should spend a whole lot of time at the range and the whole fire-arms safety stuff. I'd get a little nervous about being around somebody who has never fired a rifle prowling the woods lookin' for deer.

Either subject takes a while to learn the basics, and the course continues for life. Be careful and lot's of luck. You may want to pick up something nic fo him to use if after he leaves it will stay with you. Good way to justify a nice new unit and be generous at the same time!!;f

vafish
12-18-2004, 23:32
Why not another 30-30 like yours?

My 11 year old son uses one. They aren't that tough to master.

Sixgun_Symphony
12-18-2004, 23:53
A .30-30 Winchester M94 rifle will be fine.

Just get him to the rifle range before you go hunting.

bachchoy
12-18-2004, 23:54
I thought a 30-30 would be best also! Just wanted a second opinion.
I have a marlin he can use.

Thanks for the replies!:)

Sixgun_Symphony
12-19-2004, 00:02
How much, if any, experience does he have with rifles?

If none, then you should spend a week at the local rifle range to get him ready.

If he has been trained in marksmanship, then a day at the rifle range ought to be enough for him to get familiar with the Marlin rifle.

bachchoy
12-19-2004, 00:07
^c I'll ask him next time I see him, about his experences with rifles and hunting.

MrMurphy
12-19-2004, 09:56
For short range, a .30-30 with a reciever aperature sight, or a bolt action .308/.30-06/.270 with a low powered scope.

HuntingGuy
12-19-2004, 15:01
Alot of time at the range and alot of education about firearm operation and safety.. but if he has never shot a rifle before, you should spend a whole lot of time at the range and the whole fire-arms safety stuff. I'd get a little nervous about being around somebody who has never fired a rifle prowling the woods lookin' for deer. Very good posting.

klmmicro
12-22-2004, 14:29
Another vote for the .30-30 lever gun. As easy to use as a bolt and not too much for a first time hunter to handle. The suggestion of an Enfield is good if he wants a bolt rifle, a Mosin-Nagant is another inexpensive choice for the economy minded.

The .30-30 seems like an easier round to manage than either teh .303 or the 7.62X54R so acclimation and practice are easier to manage.

badhunter1234
12-22-2004, 20:13
I'm pretty sure Kentucky will not issue him a hunting license without proof of a hunter education course. Something to consider.

Good luck!

HuntingGuy
12-22-2004, 20:23
I think the majority of states are not issuing licenses without the hunters/firearm safety certificate. The course is 10 bucks, goes for a few weeks.. Really is priceless for someone not familiar with guns. But he can't expect to come here and hop into the woods.