Your dues for the privilege [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Your dues for the privilege

EUPHER49
12-17-2004, 23:26
OK, I'm on a soapbox...but how many of you guys realize that the FCC allows
us the privilege to use the frequencies that we can, and are licensed for, is because we can provide a valuable service during emergencies and disasters in both local and distant situations? How many of you are members of ARES
and/or RACES? These are public service organizations and are excellent oppurtunities to exercise your ham privileges and do something for your community and the country. If you are members congrats! If you're not and would like to be let's hear it. I'm sure hams here at Glock Talk can help you find the resources to pay your dues.

RACES is a separate "service" under the rules and is one of the reasons that
the gummint allows us to 'play' with our radios.

GSD17
12-19-2004, 13:56
I am in my county ARES/RACES

BrianDamage
12-20-2004, 20:55
not yet, but I will be

podwich
12-20-2004, 21:32
I've had a Tech license for just over 10 years but I've hardly used it. I just renewed it but if I ever really get into the hobby maybe I'll look that stuff up.

johndoe25
12-28-2004, 09:26
When I lived in middle Tennesse, I was with the local ARES & RACES, plus I was a weather spotter for the area. Also I was in ARMY MARS(AAV4OL). But now I am in a very rural area in WV, which I don't do much. Some of the local don't engage in talking to me due to that I have a 4 zone call, where WV is in a 8 zone.

Roger
KD4KST