Setting's for video card, need help! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Setting's for video card, need help!

Gadgetman
12-18-2004, 08:26
I am looking for some help and or advise on how to set up my Global Driver Settings for my TI 4200 video card. I'd like to set it up for good overall performance when playing Americas Army online.

Here's some of the options:

Antialiasing- Application controlled,Off,2x,2xQ,4x,4xs.

Antisotropic filtering- Application controlled,Off,2x,4x,8x.

Image setting- High performance,Performance,Quality.

Vertical sync- Application controlled,Off,On.

Force mipmaps- None,Bilinear,Trilinear.

Conformant texture clamp- Off,On.

Extension limit- Off,On.

Any help would be appreciated.

chevrofreak
12-18-2004, 12:07
Usually leave anything that has an option of "application controlled" set to application controlled.

fastvfr
12-18-2004, 12:12
Originally posted by Freedom1955
I am looking for some help and or advise on how to set up my Global Driver Settings for my TI 4200 video card. I'd like to set it up for good overall performance when playing Americas Army online.

Here's some of the options:

Antialiasing- Application controlled,Off,2x,2xQ,4x,4xs.

Antisotropic filtering- Application controlled,Off,2x,4x,8x.

Image setting- High performance,Performance,Quality.

Vertical sync- Application controlled,Off,On.

Force mipmaps- None,Bilinear,Trilinear.

Conformant texture clamp- Off,On.

Extension limit- Off,On.

Any help would be appreciated.

This is right up my alley! Here you go:

Antialiasing - Off or App Controlled...your 4200 isn't bad, but it is an older DirectX 8.1 card. This, and AF, will easily overwhelm it.

Antisotropic filtering - Off or App Controlled. See AA^.

Image setting - Performance, a blend of Quality and Hi Perf.

Vertical sync - Off or On...depending...not app cpntrolled. If you get tearing, turn it On. Otherwise, keep it Off as it limits your framerate to the refresh rate the monitor is set to. If you enable it, be sure your refresh rate is 70+.

Force mipmaps - Trilinear.

Conformant texture clamp - On.

Extension limit - Off.

I usually turn Digital Vibrance up to Medium in Color Correction so things jump out more, but that's optional.

What driver version are you using? If they give you an option for 'Amount Of System RAM to use for Textures', set that value to half of the system's RAM, then turn it down if necessary.

Good luck!

Gadgetman
12-18-2004, 13:32
Originally posted by fastvfr
This is right up my alley! Here you go:

Antialiasing - Off or App Controlled...your 4200 isn't bad, but it is an older DirectX 8.1 card. This, and AF, will easily overwhelm it.

Antisotropic filtering - Off or App Controlled. See AA^.

Image setting - Performance, a blend of Quality and Hi Perf.

Vertical sync - Off or On...depending...not app cpntrolled. If you get tearing, turn it On. Otherwise, keep it Off as it limits your framerate to the refresh rate the monitor is set to. If you enable it, be sure your refresh rate is 70+.

Force mipmaps - Trilinear.

Conformant texture clamp - On.

Extension limit - Off.

I usually turn Digital Vibrance up to Medium in Color Correction so things jump out more, but that's optional.

What driver version are you using? If they give you an option for 'Amount Of System RAM to use for Textures', set that value to half of the system's RAM, then turn it down if necessary.

Good luck!

The driver version is the latest I think 4.14.10.6176.
I've resent my settings to what you recommended but I won't be playing AA until tomorrow.

I was also wondering what is most important when playing an online game like AA. The connection speed, Processor speed or the video card?

Also I am running a P4 1300, 512 Rdram (rambus), TI 4200 and I was thinking of getting the latest and greatest video card. Do you think it would be worth it to do that with this setup? Or should I wait and in a year or so have a friend build me the ultimate gaming machine?

Any thoughts?

Oh I forgot to tell you I have my monitor (Viewsonic E220) set to 1024 X 768 and 100 mhz refresh rate.