Acer Laptops [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Acer Laptops

echo99
12-19-2004, 09:13
Can anyone tell me if this is a good deal, and worth the $. I think it looks good. Anyone ever hear of negatve problems with this Travelmate style of laptop

http://www.pcconnection.com/ProductDetail?sku=4803450

TravelMate 250XI 2.6GHz processor, 15in. LCD Active Matrix display

Acer

The muscle of an Intel Pentium 4 processor at an affordable price makes this notebook great for travel and the office.

The Acer TravelMate 250 series mobile PC blends cutting-edge performance with agile connectivity to give you a fine-tuned set of computing tools, all in one package. Sleek and solid, the TravelMate 250 outfits you for work wherever you go - setting your productivity and business in forward motion. This model is configured with a 2.6GHz Pentium 4 processor, a 512KB on-chip L2 cache, a 30GB ATA/100 hard drive and 256MB PC2100 DDR SDRAM (expandable to 1GB). In addition to the 533MHz system bus, it features a CD-ROM drive and two Type II CardBus slots. For your communications needs, use the built-in 802.11b wireless, 56K V.92 modem or 10/100 Ethernet. The Intel 852GME chipset with Intel Extreme Graphics 2 uses up to 64MB system memory to support resolutions of 1024 x 768 on the 15" LCD screen. You'll love the integrated stereo speakers. A programmable touchpad, 84-key keyboard, AC adapter and Li-Ion battery are included. Windows XP Professional is pre-installed.

Washington,D.C.
12-19-2004, 12:07
I don't know anything about them personally but a friend wanted an AMD 64 notebook and the first ones were by E-Machine.It was nothing but trouble from the start.He had many problems with the E-Machine.He insisted on staying with an AMD 64 and got an Acer notebook with an AMD 64 and says it works great.

Alchemy
12-19-2004, 12:56
I've known several people that have had multiple problems
with Acer products, as well as E Machines. I'd suggest
that you visit Dell, or look into an IBM thinkpad. Money
does not grow on trees, but by the time you get your Acer
fixed, you will have just as much money invested in it, as
if you would have bought a quality laptop!

bobby_w
12-19-2004, 12:57
Acers are Ok. Not very rugged. That model looks to be carried only by PCConnection. I have dealt with them since 1984. Good outfit.

It is a P4 so battery life will not be the greatest. But for $730 bucks it can't be all bad.

If you can wait until Monday, call them at 800-800-0014 ext 76164 and you should get Lisa B. That is the Corporate line.

Give her my name, Bobby Wright and she might knock another 25-40 bucks off the price.

She has been my corporate Rep for the last 5 years and it is getting toward the end of the month $$$.

I am also a BIG ThinkPad fan. Been buying nothing else for the last 10 years. Must have bought 7 0r 8 thousand of them.