The call finaly came! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : The call finaly came!


Central Texan
12-19-2004, 12:16
My Section SGT called me last week while I was on the road (just got back home) and said to pack up, we're deploying! We are headed to NE Iraq but that's all the info I know so far about where we'll be.
I report to Ft Hood tomorrow (20 Dec. 04) and I believe we are expecting to deploy March or April. From what I'm being told we should be getting the new ACU's instead of DCU's. Either way it doesnt realy matter to me, I'm just glad to finaly be going!

MrsKitty
12-19-2004, 12:19
Good luck!

You and the others are in my prayers :)

Cagey
12-20-2004, 15:12
Best of luck and come back home safe. You'll be in our thoughts every day.

GlockinHood
12-21-2004, 07:51
Good luck brother. Godspeed.

Ian

jawjaboy
12-22-2004, 17:54
Watch your six. Stay safe. GODSPEED TEXAN.

Don 'ol52
12-22-2004, 17:57
Thanks for your service friend and please come back alive and in one piece.

WIG19
12-23-2004, 11:09
What they said.
BTW, people should take note of the last sentence in your initial post. That's what keeps me optimistic about America and Americans.
Thanks for what you're doing. Keep in touch.
;?

Central Texan
12-23-2004, 19:44
Originally posted by WIG19
What they said.
BTW, people should take note of the last sentence in your initial post. That's what keeps me optimistic about America and Americans.
Thanks for what you're doing. Keep in touch.
;?

Believe me, there's a LOT more who feel the same as me, they just dont get as much exposure. Guess soldiers who want to do their job doesnt appeal as much as a whiney no-backbone reservist/guardsman who only joined for free school.

I recieved some more info this past week. We are planning on being boots on the ground in late Feb. I also learned where we will be stationed but I'm not sure if I'm suppose to say yet or not, but it's in the north central area of Iraq.
I also learned that we will be living in actual rooms, not tents like I was thinking. There will be high speed internet access in each 2 man room, so if I'm able to get a hold of a lap top I'll be able to report in more often. I like the idea of being able to use instant messanger to keep in touch with friends and family each night instead of waiting in line for the phones.


Oh yea, I also found out that I've been assigned a SAW!!! HOOAH!!

erikd65
12-26-2004, 15:32
good luck

adaptable
12-27-2004, 11:45
Originally posted by Central Texan
a whiney no-backbone reservist/guardsman who only joined for free school.

Hey now, don't hate on all reservists because of the "one weekend a month, my ass" guys. Some of us joined to get some and we're ready to go.

Good luck out there. Oorah!

A_Swede_17_1911
12-28-2004, 13:46
Wow, wish we had HS internet in our room, hell i wish we had a room, this is my 2nd time here in less than 2 years, were in a parking garage that leaks, its awsome, it flooded with sewage earlier before we arrived. Its all good it definatly beats sleeping in a ditch.

If its your first time over here, bring plenty of socks, and use some anti perperant on your feet, it will keep em from getting so damn wet. Also buy some cheap wrap around clear saftey glasses, and buy a couple pairs, so if you break em it you have another pair.

Your going to find out alot of the local natinals, have a altered sense of reality.

DONT GET COMPLACENT, always look like a predator and not prey, dont lower your eyes to any arab. When the local use alot of hand guestures and exesive amount of movement with there hands, its a form of yelling at you, dont let em do it.

Dont let the kids get to you especially the 8-15 year old range, weve had them throw grenades at us, and also they are used for observation. Oh if you get to your FOB and theres a bunch stupid rules just fallow em.

Oh expect things to change 2 times every five minutes for awhile.

Oh and dont expect to get what they have been telling you, it could happend or it could not happen.

feetpiece
12-28-2004, 19:24
Originally posted by Central Texan
Believe me, there's a LOT more who feel the same as me, they just dont get as much exposure. Guess soldiers who want to do their job doesnt appeal as much as a whiney no-backbone reservist/guardsman who only joined for free school.

I recieved some more info this past week. We are planning on being boots on the ground in late Feb. I also learned where we will be stationed but I'm not sure if I'm suppose to say yet or not, but it's in the north central area of Iraq.
I also learned that we will be living in actual rooms, not tents like I was thinking. There will be high speed internet access in each 2 man room, so if I'm able to get a hold of a lap top I'll be able to report in more often. I like the idea of being able to use instant messanger to keep in touch with friends and family each night instead of waiting in line for the phones.


Oh yea, I also found out that I've been assigned a SAW!!! HOOAH!!

Section Chief

You aren't a gun bunny are you?

If you don't have a 3 MegaPixel or better camera already get one. Even if you only have access to the NET via an MWR tent you can get some good pics back. Keep your head down and don't let anybody w/o old glory on their sleeve outta your sight.;)

I guarantee by the time you get back you will never curse a cloudy/rainy day for the rest of your life:cool:

Bonk
12-28-2004, 22:26
Good luck, and come back in one piece.

:)

erikd65
12-29-2004, 00:28
Originally posted by feetpiece
You aren't a gun bunny are you?

If you don't have a 3 MegaPixel or better camera already get one. Even if you only have access to the NET via an MWR tent you can get some good pics back. Keep your head down and don't let anybody w/o old glory on their sleeve outta your sight.;)

I guarantee by the time you get back you will never curse a cloudy/rainy day for the rest of your life:cool:

Keep OPSEC in mind when posting pictures....

kfoley
12-29-2004, 19:55
Godspeed soldier ;? Stay safe.

A_Swede_17_1911
12-30-2004, 10:44
On the whole camera thing, bring one just dont take pictures of stuff you shouldnt be doing or shouldnt be taking pictures of. Its pretty much to protect your self. Oh bring your self a usb memory stick too, they come in handy especially if your not allowed to hook digital camreas the the MWR computers (ours your not allowed to)you can usally use a memory stick.

Central Texan
12-30-2004, 17:42
Originally posted by adaptable
Hey now, don't hate on all reservists because of the "one weekend a month, my ass" guys.

No no no no no, I dont hate reservists, I AM a reservist. I just cant stand the ones that give the rest of us a bad rap.


"You aren't a gun bunny are you?"
Sorry, I havent been in the military too long and havent heard that term yet. So not being sure what it refers to I cant realy answer that question.


Thank yall for all the tips and advice. Keep it rollin in if yall got any more!

Thanks again for all the well wishes and possitive feed back.

ebigfish
12-30-2004, 22:18
God bless you and keep you safe, Central Texan, and thank you for your service.

dad11345
12-31-2004, 07:57
God Bless you and yours and come back safe. Use your training to give your foe every opportunity to give their lives for their cause.

Be careful about how much info you give about were your being deployed to in Irag and when your boots will be on the ground there.
New in country may make your unit a target in itself.

feetpiece
12-31-2004, 18:50
Originally posted by Central Texan
"You aren't a gun bunny are you?"
Sorry, I havent been in the military too long and havent heard that term yet. So not being sure what it refers to I cant realy answer that question.


You used the term "section chief" which is generally associated with gunbunnies(artillerymen). There are no SGT's, SSG's and SFC's we have chiefs, gunny, and smoke - we also don't say hooa!, we say "check".;)

http://tinypic.com/14xunp

codivecop
12-31-2004, 21:31
Good Luck from a former "Dirt Dart";f

I was put on ready more times than I can remember to go over the the "Big Sandbox" but never did. Clinton didn't want us to use our "mean guns" ;I on "innocent" people. So he just sent a bomb or two now and then to let 'em know we still cared.

For you or anyone you come across that needs anything let me know. I can get you set up to get most anything you will need over there. If you want web site info or anything let me know. :cool: I know some stuff can't be sent direct to APO addresses, but I can send "care packages."

Be safe and come home. Thank you for filling the gap when others just complain about not getting what is "theirs". ;j


;?~2 ;?~2 ;?~2 ;?~2 ;? ~2 ;? ~2
Airborne

Central Texan
12-31-2004, 23:44
Originally posted by feetpiece
You used the term "section chief" which is generally associated with gunbunnies(artillerymen). There are no SGT's, SSG's and SFC's we have chiefs, gunny, and smoke - we also don't say hooa!, we say "check".;)


Negative feetpiece, I used the term "Section SGT". Atleast I think I did, I meant to if I didnt. Thanks for clueing me in on the artillery deal though, I hadnt heard that yet. No, I'm not a gunbunny. I'm a lil ol wheeled vehicle mechanic.


codivecop, Thank you so much for your offer. As of now our Supply SGT is doing an outstanding job and has been getting our "wish lists" filled almost to the T! Stuff I dint even think he could order for us is showing up on our front door! It sounds like you've done this before, if you have a list of some items that might be needed and are generaly overlooked the soldiers in my company and I would realy appreciate a heads up. Thank you again for your offer, you just might get taken up on it once we get settled down out there.

codivecop
01-01-2005, 07:03
Originally posted by Central Texan
It sounds like you've done this before, if you have a list of some items that might be needed and are generaly overlooked the soldiers in my company and I would realy appreciate a heads up.

I will work on a list, but the little things are the one's people miss the most. Yes I did it before, on one deployment we were sent to another military base, Gitmo, and due to the overwhelming #'s of troops we nearly closed the McDonald's there and emptied the PX/BX.

I have heard on this deployment, guys are asking for Starbucks. Well I don't have that, but I do have access to a fine coffee line. I can help with the "little things" like that.

Being a Vet and a LEO, I understand the importance of moral!!!!!!;f

If I could just get my boss to figure it out.....:soap:

Be safe, eyes up - heads down :cool:

PS- the goggle suggestion VERY GOOD ONE!!!!!

RussP
01-01-2005, 14:50
Central Texan, you'll be in our prayers.

RussP

CarlosDJackal
01-02-2005, 21:35
CT, you keep your head down and watch your six. I wish I could go as well but alas, it just isn't meant to be.

Stay Safe!!

srfl
01-04-2005, 12:52
Hey be safe out there!

army_eod
01-26-2005, 22:25
Originally posted by Central Texan
My Section SGT called me last week while I was on the road (just got back home) and said to pack up, we're deploying! We are headed to NE Iraq but that's all the info I know so far about where we'll be.
I report to Ft Hood tomorrow (20 Dec. 04) and I believe we are expecting to deploy March or April. From what I'm being told we should be getting the new ACU's instead of DCU's. Either way it doesnt realy matter to me, I'm just glad to finaly be going!

When in doubt, shoot first.

21lostboy
01-29-2005, 12:57
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Central Texan


"I recieved some more info this past week. We are planning on being boots on the ground in late Feb. I also learned where we will be stationed but I'm not sure if I'm suppose to say yet or not, but it's in the north central area of Iraq."


ENOUGH!! TMI (and it will probably change anyhow) You just broke OPSEC already. Don't relate the WHO, WHAT, WHERE, WHEN, WHY or HOW.

NOT to me, not to your family, your best friend, girlfriend/wife, etc.
Especially on a website that stays up and can be visited by ANYONE at anytime. You will hear this many more times. Believe it, preach it but above all, practice it. If not for you, then for everyone else in uniform. Even if the information doesn't pertain to you specifically it does to someone else.

Now- do your job and do it well, bring yourself and those around you back home safe, and finally THANK YOU.

SGT Brady
US Army

Central Texan
02-19-2005, 16:36
You are absolutly right, and I deeply apologize. I have no idea where my common sence was what I posted. Will an admin or moderator please remove all pertaining info. I'm embarased of my ignorance.

I am on leave for a short period and this is my last time to spend at home before our deployment. This whole time I've been training and preparing to go do our mission and it never realy hit me what was about to happen untill yesterday. I was holding my 8 week old nephew and realized that the next time I see him he's already going to be walking. I love that kid like he was my own, I cant imagine how hard it would be if he was my own. Gives me a whole new respect for soldier/fathers and soldier/mothers.
Anyways, I just wanted to say thanks to yall one last time before I head out. I have witnessed an overwhelming amount of support from internet friends and real life frinds/family in the last few weeks and it makes me prouder than ever to be serving this country. I wish yall the best.

Untill next time. Central Texan out.

kfoley
02-20-2005, 02:39
Good luck, stay safe! ;?

RussP
02-22-2005, 15:59
Originally posted by 21lostboy
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Central Texan


"I recieved some more info this past week. We are planning on being boots on the ground in late Feb. I also learned where we will be stationed but I'm not sure if I'm suppose to say yet or not, but it's in the north central area of Iraq."


ENOUGH!! TMI (and it will probably change anyhow) You just broke OPSEC already. Don't relate the WHO, WHAT, WHERE, WHEN, WHY or HOW.

NOT to me, not to your family, your best friend, girlfriend/wife, etc.
Especially on a website that stays up and can be visited by ANYONE at anytime. You will hear this many more times. Believe it, preach it but above all, practice it. If not for you, then for everyone else in uniform. Even if the information doesn't pertain to you specifically it does to someone else.

Now- do your job and do it well, bring yourself and those around you back home safe, and finally THANK YOU.

SGT Brady
US Army Ahhhh, then someone better tell the 36th ID, 56th BCT they can't put this on their website.
Click on this link...
http://www.agd.state.tx.us/36id/56BCT/

http://www.agd.state.tx.us/36id/56BCT/images/toplogo.jpg

Sgt. Held
02-28-2005, 02:52
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Central Texan
[B]Believe me, there's a LOT more who feel the same as me, they just dont get as much exposure. Guess soldiers who want to do their job doesnt appeal as much as a whiney no-backbone reservist/guardsman who only joined for free school.

CentTex, I a Marine reservist in-country right now with a heads up for you. SVBIED's can ruin your whole day, jump in an up-armor if you have to travel. 120mm class rockets and mortars will wake you from the soundest sleep, harden your billeting and work areas. I am almost done with my second tour here, and I can tell you that by the time you are done, you will appreciate The Great State of Texas and The U.S. of A. more than ever. Semper Fi!

Gunner47
03-02-2005, 18:07
Thanks you and all the members of your unit for your service, and my prayers are that all of you come back alive and in one piece.

ScoPro
03-07-2005, 17:55
Hi, Central Texan! I know who you are. I'm your next door neighbor - the one with the white Jeep Cherokee. Just talked to your Dad a while ago and told him that I chanced upon you here - quite a small world, ain't it.

It was about 82f & sunny here on Brimstone today. Talk to you later when you get settled in. Thank you for your service, and please stay safe!

;?