NID/Demarc/DSL/Splitter ? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : NID/Demarc/DSL/Splitter ?

Gecko10
12-19-2004, 11:37
Do we have a resident expert? If so I would sure like to PM you with a couple of simple questions.

We are finally getting Broadband in my area and I want to do it right with a dedicated DSL line (Home Run). Most of this I understand except for a couple of things about my relatively new NID/Demarc.

Thanks!!!!!

bobby_w
12-19-2004, 12:50
When I had DSL, when it first came to our town 4 years ago, I just ran my own CAT-5 cable to the Work Box and had the TelCo (SWB) terminate it in the box and at the outlet that he provided. This way it was a dedicted Home Run.

I had to run the cable thru my attic and then drill the walls top plate and fish it down the wall. The phone company would have charged me to run it on my homes outside wall, which is not very pretty. They refuse to work in attics now a days.

I dumped DSL for cable due to distance issues from the CO and speed problems.

Gecko10
12-19-2004, 16:45
Well, here are the questions then. My house design and impending remodel have driven me to this as a temporary measure.

I have a single phone line, but my NID has two phone blocks, each with four terminals. Both phone blocks are bridged between there respective four terminals. There are no phone lines connected to the upper block, just the lower.

Question: Why do I have two phone blocks and can both phone blocks be used, the upper as well as the lower, where my phone line is now attached?

I am in the process of installing a Home Run including a Seicor Splitter/Filter and I understand how that's done.

Question: Can I make a second, separate voice run for my FAX, which is in another room, from the unused terminals on the lower phone block of my NID, or will this cause some sort of problem since its bridged to the terminals that are going to be connected to my Splitter? I understand, or at least think, that this second run to my FAX would be unfiltered and a micro-filter would have to be put at the FAX.

The top block on my NID is empty. The bottom block has the single phone line running to the house.

Here is my plan:

Run a single pair directly from the top terminals of the lower block of the NID to the Network terminals of the splitter.

Pull the existing phone line (2 pair) from the NID and attach it to the Voice terminals of the splitter.

Run a cat5e cable (blue pair) from the Data terminal of the splitter to the modem connection in room 1. This will provide me with some flexibility later on after the remodel.

Run a 2 pair cable for the FAX to room 2 from the bottom terminals (which are bridged to the top terminals) on the lower block of the NID.

I would think this should work, but I'm not certain???

Gecko10
12-19-2004, 16:45
Deleted