More hunter stupidity [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : More hunter stupidity

mpol777
12-19-2004, 15:30
Never underestimate the stupidity of the general public.

Hunter mistook pet llama as deer, charged in killing

Associated Press
Dec. 17, 2004 08:15 AM

MADISON, Wis. - A hunter faces two charges after shooting a llama that he mistook for a deer.

John M. Burger was charged with trespassing and a misdemeanor count of mistreatment of animals after he killed a llama named Snicker Doodle Silk that was grazing on land owned by Susan and Kevin Kovacs.

According to a criminal complaint, Burger was on land adjacent to the Kovacses' property when he shot the animal Nov. 9.

Burger told a Dane County sheriff's deputy he was in a tree stand when he spotted an animal grazing about 60 yards north.

Burger said he thought the animal was a deer, probably a doe, and he waited for it to raise its head. It did not and he shot at it. He then walked toward the animal and saw herds of llamas running around, realizing his mistake.

Burger reported the accidental shooting to the Kovacs family and apologized.

The trespassing charge carries a fine of up to $1,000 and the other count carries a fine of up to $10,000 and a nine-month jail term.

TJC
12-19-2004, 18:50
It won't happen but it would be nice to see him get the max on both charges and lose his hunting lic. for about 5 years. :(

Tvov
12-19-2004, 18:59
It doesn't excuse it, but at least he did own up to it.

sarge
12-19-2004, 20:07
Originally posted by mpol777
a misdemeanor count of mistreatment of animals after he killed a llama

The trespassing charge carries a fine of up to $1,000 and the other count carries a fine of up to $10,000 and a nine-month jail term.

This sort of concerns me. If they get you for "mistreatment of animals" for killing something you mistook as a game animal, can they charge you the same for killing a game animal??

G. Gunman
12-19-2004, 20:37
;P The misdemeanor charge of, 'cruelty to animals' is PETA crap! That charge should be dropped; it's entirely unrealistic. Personally, I doubt the misdemeanor part will be prosecuted – Especially in Wisconsin. Other than this, what a stupid mistake! Whatever happened to, ‘mark your target’? What this guy really has to worry about is the civil suit that's sure to follow in order to recover the value of that llama. Those critters ain’t cheap!

;g

Hunterjbb
12-19-2004, 20:52
to not identify what your shooting at, but at least the guy owned up and reported it.. Most bozo's would have slithered away..

At least the guy showed some sense of responsibility for being wrong, not all that common anymore..

noway
12-19-2004, 23:13
mpol777, you sure know how to find the weird hunters storys
;f

I'm really lost on this one, how can a guy mistaken a one of these ;

http://www.inkaways.com/wallpapers/llamas.jpg

with one of these; ;5

http://members.aol.com/AardTiger/kitecd/images/deertwo.jpg

( granted not a doe but spike buck and regular buck )

Delta-9
12-19-2004, 23:31
Originally posted by noway

I'm really lost on this one, how can a guy mistaken a one of these ;

( granted not a doe but spike buck and regular buck )

Considering people have shot other human beings (WEARING BLAZE ORANGE)that they mistook for a deer, I can at least understand how someone could mistakenly shoot one of those. They are at least the same general color and shape. (Again, comparing to a human wearing orange.)

noway
12-19-2004, 23:46
{Considering people have shot other human beings (WEARING BLAZE ORANGE)that they mistook for a deer,}

I betcha that 9 out of 10 of those where people just shooting on movement or noise and never even see the blaze orange.

now on the 2 pictures posted, just look at it ;P

One animal has shaggy coat and the other is smooth and shorter. the ears should also been a dead give-away. Hard to mistaken a deer for llama. It seems like the guy had a doe/buck tag and wasn't quite sure as to what it was;Q at 60yrds ;Q Also Llama and deer don't graze nothing alike. LLama are more like cow when they graze.

I could see mistaken a doe for buck ( very unlikely ) but a llama for a deer. That 's about the dumbest/weirdest thing I've ever heard in my 37years. With all of the rash of incidents in WIS, think god I don't hunt in that state.

imho, That guys should not be in the woods.Now if it was foggy or raining, I could see the error being more plausible. But the old saying of " if youre not sure, then don't shoot", applies here.

Delta-9
12-20-2004, 00:38
Originally posted by noway

imho, That guys should not be in the woods.Now if it was foggy or raining, I could see the error being more plausible. But the old saying of " if youre not sure, then don't shoot", applies here.

I wasn't trying to justify his actions, just bringing up the point that others have shot humans because they saw/heard movement. I agree 100% with you, if you can't identify your target, don't squeeze the trigger.

DJ Niner
12-20-2004, 00:51
I can't believe he didn't know the limits of where he was allowed to hunt. Knowing this and following the rules would have prevented the whole incident.

I agree with the above opinions, but what if it wasn't the "textbook" presentations pictured above?

How about head down (as he said), but on a small hill, facing towards the shooter? Would it be as obvious if all you could see was neck-and-front-shoulders-in-taller-grass? Add buck fever, and "if it KINDA looks like a duck, and is in the duck pond, and I'm not an experienced duck hunter...".

http://www.growf.org/photos/aud-zoo-llama.jpg

http://www.markhorrell.com/travel/britain/2003/images/llama2.jpg

Well, I could see how this could happen.

Not to ME, of course (who once shot at a semi-wild dog while Coyote hunting as a young/inexperienced/newbie hunter; it then ran towards me and barked at me before leaving). :)

Learned MY lesson, I did.

noway
12-20-2004, 05:36
Still, regardless of distance and head down, he had the right and means to IDENTIFIY the target. That so-called doe was somebody price animal/pet/etc... With the head down ( which is not the best position to shot deer , specially from a head on position ), he should have weighted to see actually what kinda of deer it was. Walking away with tresspassering and a possible big fine and civil payment for killing the animal could have been avoided. This doesn't look good in the rash of incidents for deer season, when most of the non-hunting public think we are gun-ho crazy rednecks.

Also, one has to wonder why he was shooting from his land/property ( land adjacent to the Kovacses' property} and what I assume was over afence onto Kovacses proprety ;g

Sounds like this hunter had it all backward and screwed up! One of the 1st things they teaching you in any hunter class is know your target and identify anything behide it. This guy did not accomplish the 1st.

WalterGA
12-20-2004, 12:25
Maybe he was using a BSA scope!

Rhinodo99
12-20-2004, 13:18
Originally posted by WalterGA
Maybe he was using a BSA scope!

That would explain it. BSA scopes are garbage, or at least the two I had were.

mpol777
12-20-2004, 13:26
IMHO 9 months and a few thousand dollars is a bit light for what the guy did. I'll give him credit to owning up to his transgression, but I have a different view of his offenses than most.

First tresspassing only a $1000 fine?!?! If it were my property that 'ole boy would be standing on the edge of the road with nothing but his britches and boots on. As far as the killing of another's pet. Maybe I'm just too attached to my critters. Someone shows up on my doorstep telling me that they shot one of my dogs, on my property no less, thinking it was a coyote... I'd say a 10 second head start is about as much leniency as I could muster.

If the government expects the unwashed masses to trust it to enforce punishement and send "a signal" to the raging idiots of this country to avoid such incidents, they need to quit with the coddling. It'll get handled one way or another.