Defensive Knife: Which type or brand do you carry? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Defensive Knife: Which type or brand do you carry?

flyboy 1
12-20-2004, 04:19
Hello Fellow BOGS!

Recently, I have taken an interest in integrating "alternative weaponry" in my defensive line-up. In the U.S. a lot of "serious" disciples of personal self-defense utilize a folding knife as part of their defensive triad (pistol, tactical light, folding knife). For those of you who utilize a knife, which brand or type do you recommend and carry? Thanks and Merry Christmas to all of you. Cheers. ;Y

9MX
12-20-2004, 04:29
this is the partner of my E2D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v426/9MX/p99ii.jpg

julianz
12-20-2004, 05:12
back home i have a balisong from batangas..sorry no picture

jasonub
12-20-2004, 06:39
i carry benchmade afck, (advanced fighting combat knife) and my asp lightweight retractable baton

Alexii
12-20-2004, 06:46
My constant companion for three years in the running is the Spyderco Chinook. Before that, the Spyderco Police for about three years prior.

They say that folks who love guns are a stone's throw away from loving knives. I love knives, particularly the ones that fold and have pocket clips. Not only do they double as a backup weapon but a cutting tool as well.

Spyderco Chinook

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v322/Alexii/Chinook.jpg

doctabako
12-20-2004, 07:20
One of many as they're so cheap:) I like this one as it has a bottle cap opener.;f

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v464/doctabako/IMG_2474s.jpg

engineer151515
12-20-2004, 07:35
I carry one of these. Very light. Totally non-magnetic. Glass filled polymer. Spring assisted opening - but the spring is a beryllium-copper alloy.
Spooky.

http://nas1.gbhinc.com/pixhost/2002-08-04/Boblip44_1028861865_Bcollins.JPG

Alexii
12-20-2004, 07:40
Originally posted by engineer151515
I carry one of these. Very light. Totally non-magnetic. Glass filled polymer. Spring assisted opening - but the spring is a beryllium-copper alloy. Passes right through metal detectors (tried out with permission at a local courthouse - know the local LE's).

Spooky.

Darn right spooky! You gotta tell us where to get one of these. Fast.

Any online source? What's the brand name?

engineer151515
12-20-2004, 07:52
Bob's website - link to knives
http://www.lippman-enterprises.com/knives2.html

Bob had been running a special on gunbroker
Blackie Collins Polymer Non-metal Folder Item # 26797537 (check to see if he has relisted) He was selling for $8 ea, $7.50 for 5 or more. I've handed out about a dozen of these for Christmas gifts. People really like them and Bob is very fast on shipments.

Thanks again Bob Lippman.

Alexii
12-20-2004, 07:55
Thanks, engineer151515! ^c

mikey177
12-20-2004, 08:25
I've been carrying a Sypderco Endura ever since I realized there was such a thing as the continuum of force.

Why the Endura? It has a more sturdy locking mechanism (IMHO) than a liner lock. Its readily available in more than one store in our country, which means its easy to get a replacement if it should get lost or go past its service life-- I practice opening and deploying said knife several times a day so I know I'll eventually wear something out. When that happens, I know a knife with the exact same dimensions and characteristics is just a visit away from the nearest Hahn or Urban store :)

Hermo Gut
12-20-2004, 08:37
I always carry my all black (including the blade) Benchmade ATS-34, slim & handy.:)

9MX
12-20-2004, 08:53
Originally posted by Alexii
Thanks, engineer151515! ^c

group buy?:)

Eye Cutter
12-20-2004, 09:02
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v483/eyecutter/100_1490.jpg

mc_oliver
12-20-2004, 20:27
I carry a Tarpon Bay Trust Trade special. ;f

group buy?
Call!

Chapman
12-20-2004, 20:38
mine's a crkt m16-02z, plain edge tanto.

mikey177,

does hahn still carry the spyderco line? last time i checked in festival mall and southmall branches, they don't have spyderco anymore.

Yamdog
12-20-2004, 23:52
Mine is either a Spyderco Delica or an Emerson CQC 7.

flyboy 1
12-21-2004, 02:01

mikey177
12-21-2004, 07:20
Originally posted by Chapman
does hahn still carry the spyderco line? last time i checked in festival mall and southmall branches, they don't have spyderco anymore.

When I checked their booth during the gun show last November, I believe I still saw some Spyderco folders on display. I have no idea if they stopped carrying the line though, since I live in Pangasinan and rarely visit Quezon City anymore (waaah!).

darwin25
12-21-2004, 17:58
S&W HRT

9MX
12-21-2004, 18:29
Originally posted by Eye Cutter
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v483/eyecutter/100_1490.jpg

suddenly your GT name tag sounds very scary^4 ;f

SMBeerDealer
12-21-2004, 22:43
Originally posted by 9MX
group buy?:)

Sama ko dyan! ;f

jerrytrini
12-21-2004, 23:08
Never leave home without one. Another item I strongly recommend as part of your daily wardrobe is a mini-flashlight. My .02 cents.

I have yet to see my "Contributor" icon. What's up Administrator?

gunfool
12-21-2004, 23:30
Originally posted by SMBeerDealer
Sama ko dyan! ;f Ako din......

batangueno
12-21-2004, 23:34
This is what i carry. :)

Al Mar Sere 2000
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v33/batangueno/ams2k.jpg

flyboy 1
12-22-2004, 01:44
Originally posted by Alexii
They say that folks who love guns are a stone's throw away from loving knives. I love knives, particularly the ones that fold and have pocket clips. Not only do they double as a backup weapon but a cutting tool as well.
Amen, Pareng Alexi. Now I know why I seem to have an unexplainable attraction to these things. Hope I don't go overboard and render myself bankrupt before the year ends. ;1

antediluvianist
12-22-2004, 02:55
Bought a couple of centrifugal-lock knives from a local gunshop - some German brand. You flick it and the knife blade comes out and locks. You point it vertically up and press a button and the blade drops back in. Sounds fragile but the lock works well.

Yamdog
12-22-2004, 13:54
Hey Batang, what do you think of the SERE 2000? Some say its kinda heavy and I've heard some don't like how the clip is placed. Where do you carry it and how is it for you?

batangueno
12-22-2004, 20:07
Originally posted by Yamdog
Hey Batang, what do you think of the SERE 2000? Some say its kinda heavy and I've heard some don't like how the clip is placed. Where do you carry it and how is it for you? I carry it clipped to my front pocket. It is kinda heavy but for that size of a pocket knife i would understand why. Make sure not to carry it when wearing slacks. :) Regarding the clip placement, actually that is one of the features i like about the knife. It is attached at the bottom of the knife which makes it sit deeper into the pocket. Although it might be slower to get it out, i prefer it that way for better concealment. Two things i've heard and i also don't like about this knife is the color of the clip, bright chrome, which sort of defeats the concealment purpose but i think they already have a black version. Also, the thumbstud on the blade is a little bit sharp. Overall it's a great knife, i sold all my Microtech and Benchmade folders and kept this one.

asian_glockster
12-23-2004, 00:20
what is the maximum blade length that we could carry in order that it would not be considered as a deadly weapon here in the Philippines?

batangueno
12-23-2004, 01:30
Originally posted by asian_glockster
what is the maximum blade length that we could carry in order that it would not be considered as a deadly weapon here in the Philippines? Someone posted before a law or presidential decree of some sort that indicates that we are not allowed to carry a knife if it's not a tool of our trade. Blade length is immaterial and might just be under the discretion of the police.

Ano bang magandang trabaho na kailangan ng knife? ;f

ppts799
12-23-2004, 01:50
asian _g : i know where you are coming from. ALL the stores i've asked which SELL knives said 3" or 3.25" When i ask them where it is written, they couldn't give an answer. But they insist that is the "guide" the police follow. I've asked hahn, mumbaki, urban, ang other small tiangge stores. but like what batangueno posted . . .

asian_glockster
12-23-2004, 02:33
thanks Mr Batangueno and Mr PPTS779. well, as long as I carry my glock, the knife is not a problem because when the authorities challenge you, all you have to do is show your Permit, they will no longer notice your knife. but there are times I don't carry my pistol and that is the time that they would notice the knife.

mikey177
12-23-2004, 07:41
A useful drill to do is to practice drawing your knife from concealment (slowly first, then at full speed) and execute some thrusts or slashes at an imaginary target. Again, as with dry firing a pistol, make sure first that there is no one or nothing you don't want to destroy in the immediate vicinity.

When you get accustomed to this, you can add variety to the mix by imagining possible scenarios wherein you have to draw the knife under pressure or under less than ideal circumstances (say, like if you were caught really off guard and you were blocking blows from one or more opponents). Its a real eye opener... a mechanism (e.g. thumb hole, thumb stud, etc) that seems to be easy to operate when we are in a relaxed state may become a liability when we have to deploy the knife in a tense environment.

Its too bad most shops in RP don't carry training models of the real knives they carry.

9MX
12-23-2004, 09:51
Originally posted by mikey177

Its too bad most shops in RP don't carry training models of the real knives they carry.

do they have it the states?

batangueno
12-23-2004, 23:55
Originally posted by 9MX
do they have it the states?
Popular models of Spyderco and Benchmade have trainer versions. The point and the edge are dulled.
http://www.newgraham.com/images/spydercoimages/spythumb/en2.jpg
http://www.newgraham.com/images/benchmadeimages/Wtrainers.jpg

ppts799
12-24-2004, 01:28
Originally posted by batangueno
Popular models of Spyderco and Benchmade have trainer versions. The point and the edge are dulled.

saw some at urban.

rhino465
12-24-2004, 13:32
I carry a CRKT Model 21 (the big version with the plain edge) in my right pocket.

http://www.knifeoutlet.com/shop/products/crk2104.jpg

In my left pocket, I carry an older version of the extra large Cold Steel Voyage.

http://store1.yimg.com/I/csstoreonline_1823_433869

vinsdr
12-26-2004, 19:36
i carry a spyderco endura in my right front pocket. i like it because of its size, it is easy to conceal ( profile is thinner than most), light, and fairly quick to deploy thanks to the thumb hole. plus, its easy to resharpen too. i also like the idea of not having to use any special screwdriver to tighten the pocket clip. just two .25 centavo coins can get the job done.i carried mine for years and i dont leave the house without it.i have tried others and, for me, nothing compares to it in its ease of handling.

pipit
01-15-2005, 00:25
Native III with a plastic tie wave.

joker1
01-15-2005, 00:34
I always carry a Smith&Wesson cutting horse with a serrated edge.

night fighter
01-16-2005, 07:53
I carry a surefire alpha on my right pocket! I also carry a G17 on my right hip, a G26 on my left ankle. ;)

jerrytrini
01-16-2005, 20:09
You have to see what kind of knife Zorkd ordered through me....

jerrytrini
01-16-2005, 20:14
I carry a Smith and Wesson serrated strapped to my left boot and a 2 3/4 inch Frost Cutlery in my sap pocket. If I don't forget, I have carbon fibre knife hung around my neck. This knife is all carbon fibre no metal parts.

mikey177
01-16-2005, 23:12
Originally posted by jerrytrini
...If I don't forget, I have carbon fibre knife hung around my neck. This knife is all carbon fibre no metal parts.

Since your neck knife is carbon fiber, does that mean that it is impervious to rust? May I ask how well or how long it retains its sharpness or edge? Does it need sharpening, and if so, how can it be sharpened? Can it stand up to abuse like knives made of steel, such as thrusting and occasional prying?

astevens54
01-16-2005, 23:20
Nothing special just got it...Boker Magnum. I also have a Greber and Kershaw I carry from time to time.
http://www.knivesplus.com/media/BK-BO117.jpg

9MX
01-16-2005, 23:50
Since your neck knife is carbon fiber, does that mean that it is impervious to rust? -iirc, its a non-metal so rust is not a problem.

May I ask how well or how long it retains its sharpness or edge?Does it need sharpening, and if so, how can it be sharpened? - i don't think it has a blade, its pointed like a knife

Can it stand up to abuse like knives made of steel, such as thrusting and occasional prying? - thrusting yes, i don't think it can do prying like a steel knife.

final option carries this type of knife, i'm just not sure if its polymer or carbon fiber

mikey177
01-17-2005, 00:34
Okay, thanks 9MX. I have to check out Final Option when I get to QC. Its too bad their branch in Virra Mall is closed because of the current renovation work there.

I was curious about the carbon fiber knife because I used to carry a Benchmade Tether neck knife. However, since it impossible not to sweat in a tropical country like ours, I was concerned that it would just rust away over time. A carbon fiber knife seems like a good answer to this problem.

julianz
01-17-2005, 08:52
Someone posted before a law or presidential decree of some sort that indicates that we are not allowed to carry a knife if it's not a tool of our trade. Blade length is immaterial and might just be under the discretion of the police.

Ano bang magandang trabaho na kailangan ng knife? ;f

abbatoir tough guys ( matadero );f
o kaya holdupper ;z

astevens54
01-17-2005, 14:05
What?;z

9MX
01-17-2005, 17:13
Originally posted by astevens54
What?;z

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Someone posted before a law or presidential decree of some sort that indicates that we are not allowed to carry a knife if it's not a tool of our trade. Blade length is immaterial and might just be under the discretion of the police.

Ano bang magandang trabaho na kailangan ng knife? (What is a good job that requires a knife?)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

abbatoir tough guys ( matadero ) = butcher
o kaya (or) holdupper ;e

PMMA97
01-17-2005, 19:27
Originally posted by jerrytrini
all carbon fibre no metal parts.

I have not seen one. What is the brand? :)

mikey177
01-18-2005, 18:41
Here is a sample from selfdefensegear.com of a knife made from nylon polymer, the CIA Spike (http://www.selfdefensegear.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=selfdefensegear&Product_Code=CIA2&Category_Code=11)

jerrytrini
01-18-2005, 20:31
Some holsters are made of carbon fiber. I have seen scope mounts also made of carbon fibre. The knife I have is almost weightless. I have not used it to cut, slash etc. I don't know how it will hold up in this climate.

jerrytrini
01-18-2005, 20:34
A chef, a boat handler, a fisherman, a hunting guide, a butcher, a candle maker, a newspaper deliver boy, to name a few.