Which DSL Service? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Which DSL Service?

Cali-Glock
12-20-2004, 12:53
I am sure it is a mistake, but I have a website which says my address and phone number are FINALLY QUALIFIED for DSL service!!!

I am almost afraid to pursue this further as I am almost sure they will say .."Opps - sorry we made a mistake". But here are the choices they are giving me:

SBC Yahoo
Covad
Speakeasy

All three are ASDL

Any suggesions on choosing a provider. (Heck I'll be happy with anything - but if I have a choice I'll take it!)

Stephen
12-20-2004, 13:38
We have both Covad and AT&T DSL at my house. Actually I have Earthlink which piggy-backs on Covad. I have had 99.99999% uptime with Earthlink for the past 3 years and have been very happy.

You may do a bit of investigating and find that Covad may own the backbone and sell to the other providers... maybe it's best to go to the originator?

My wife's AT&T (her work DSL) has been fine too but was down a few times.

You can also check DSL Reports.com and see what they have to say there. They are/were the de facto on DSL data.

Good luck!

engineer151515
12-20-2004, 13:52
Originally posted by Stephen
We have both Covad and AT&T DSL at my house. Actually I have Earthlink which piggy-backs on Covad. I have had 99.99999% uptime with Earthlink for the past 3 years and have been very happy.

You may do a bit of investigating and find that Covad may own the backbone and sell to the other providers... maybe it's best to go to the originator?

My wife's AT&T (her work DSL) has been fine too but was down a few times.

You can also check DSL Reports.com and see what they have to say there. They are/were the de facto on DSL data.

Good luck!

Earthlink too.
Very happy.

BinLurking
12-20-2004, 14:20
It's a matter of preference. They all use the same phone line that belongs to your local phone company. Choose whichever gives you the best deal/package. The best deal that I found when I was on DSL was through the local phone company partnered with MSN. Now I am using cable, waaaaayyyy faster.

Washington,D.C.
12-20-2004, 17:46
I chose DSL through the local phone company because I didn't have to have a contract.If I move or change ISP's I don't have to pay any extra and I can do it whenever I like..I have a friend in Florida that has the internet through the cable TV company.His connection speed is a bit faster but DSL is plenty fast enough and with most websites you won't see the difference.All current DSL is ADSL.I think early DSL in certain places such as Texas and California had real DSL and I think the people who got that are still using it.All new suscribers get ADSL even in those places.Unless it's for business I can't really see entering contracts for utilities such as TV,cell phone and internet.My grandmother lives too far from the city to watch broadcast TV and where she lives cable TV is a public service for which she pays #2 a month.I think she has had cable TV for 30 years.

Tvov
12-20-2004, 21:11
We have SBC Yahoo. It seems to work fine, no problems.

Washington,D.C.
12-25-2004, 02:51
I have DSL from the local phone company because there is no contract and it's $30/month plus taxes.A friend has DSL from the same company that owns Direct TV.He claims most ISP's such as my phone company limit file downloads to about 90kb/sec.He says Direct TV DSL limits file downloads to around 150kb/sec.This is important if you are downloading large files.This is not the broadband connection speed but another limitation.Has nothing to do with webpages or surfing the net.I have no idea how it effects internet games and such.It might make a difference there.My friend plays those games.I don't know anything about them.