Why Does Photoshop Cost So Much? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Why Does Photoshop Cost So Much?


WERA49
12-20-2004, 18:20
I'd like to buy Photoshop, but the prices are crazy. An older version would be fine (6.0 or 7.0), but they are also expensive.

Where is the best place to buy Photoshop?

NetNinja
12-20-2004, 18:34
Try ebay or www.pricewatch.com

Washington,D.C.
12-20-2004, 19:43
I got one version of Adobe Photoshop with a very expensive scanner that was discontinued at Office Depot or Staples.I think I paid $30 for it.Photoshop 7 will work with Win 98 and XP.Photoshop 8 will not work with Win 98.

MikeG22
12-20-2004, 20:48
Another option (free) is the GIMP. It's worth checking out to see if it will meet your needs, it does an amazing amount.

http://www.gimp.org/

Pyroxene
12-20-2004, 21:52
JASC Paint Shop Pro is pretty good.

If you are touching up photos from your digital camera, I would also suggest looking into Auto Eye from AutoFX (http://www.autofx.com/detail_pages/aedetail.html)$129.

It's amazing the color it restores to photos.

Pyro.

Washington,D.C.
12-20-2004, 21:54
Join the Yahoo Freecycle groups in your area and post a request.Maybe somebody will give you an older copy.I get a bunch of software for free there.

Jaltered
12-20-2004, 22:17
It's expensive because it is a professional program. Photoshop is an entire world in itself...the depth of possibilities in the program is just crazy.

Look into Photoshop Elements. It's a scaled down version that will do most of what a non-pro or pro-sumer user will need, and it costs FAR less.

Cryptoboy
12-21-2004, 07:40
What Jaltered said! Photoshop is a pretty powerful piece of software, and is used on a professional level. Paint Shop Pro is an excellent program as well, not quite as in depth, but it'll pretty much do anything a person needs.

Another option you could try is see if you know anyone that is still going to school. They give pretty good discounts to college students.

greenlead
12-21-2004, 10:22
Originally posted by MikeG22
Another option (free) is the GIMP. It's worth checking out to see if it will meet your needs, it does an amazing amount.

http://www.gimp.org/
I was going to suggest this as well. I am just starting play with this program, and it is amazing what you can do.

David_G17
12-21-2004, 11:57
http://disjunct.ajicccln.info/?PylUl4jaATqIBPPclotheshorse

$90.00

WERA49
12-22-2004, 04:51
David_G17, have you dealt with www.disjunct?

Buying an OEM version is fine with me. I'm sure that I could find a manual somewhere.

David_G17
12-22-2004, 12:28
Originally posted by WERA49
David_G17, have you dealt with www.disjunct?

Buying an OEM version is fine with me. I'm sure that I could find a manual somewhere.

no i haven't. i just got that as a spam e-mail, and checked it out.

WERA49
12-22-2004, 13:21
i just got that as a spam e-mail, and checked it out.
That's scary. I'll wait until I hear positive comments about them. Until then, www.newegg.com is my favorite place for such items. I didn't see a OEM version of Photoshop. I'll look again.

I've dealt with New Egg a couple of times and have friends that deal with them quite often. Everyone is happy with them.

David_G17
12-22-2004, 18:10
Originally posted by WERA49
That's scary. I'll wait until I hear positive comments about them. Until then, www.newegg.com is my favorite place for such items. I didn't see a OEM version of Photoshop. I'll look again.

I've dealt with New Egg a couple of times and have friends that deal with them quite often. Everyone is happy with them.

oh absolutely. i only buy from newegg, but i've never seen PS there (though i seldom checkout their software).

Ragin Cajun
01-03-2005, 11:44
Originally posted by Jaltered
It's expensive because it is a professional program. Photoshop is an entire world in itself...the depth of possibilities in the program is just crazy.

Look into Photoshop Elements. It's a scaled down version that will do most of what a non-pro or pro-sumer user will need, and it costs FAR less.


Elements is one fantastic program. Its auto fix is something to see.

$89 list.