Suzuki DR350S opinions? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Suzuki DR350S opinions?

Germanasian
12-20-2004, 23:58
Is this a good bike? It would be mostly for trail riding and exploring, nothing radical.

Thanks.

Rinspeed
01-04-2005, 11:52
We bought a new DR650 a couple years ago. It was nice but if I was going to get another one it would be a Honda XL/XR.

Rinspeed

DaisyCutter
01-04-2005, 23:38
Looks like you're in AZ, try these:

www.arizonatrailtalk.com
www.southwestdirtrider.com
www.ridingarizona.com

I once said nothin radical too...;Q

I ride with many of the red-butts on these sites, primarily the top two sites as the bottom one has a lot of pagan quad riders. I use the same screen name as I do here.

The DR350 is a decent bike, it's not gonna excel in any area. I would buy one if the price is right, but I wouldn't specifically target that model. Some DR350s were street legal, I don't know if you want this. At any rate, the DR350 is fine for trail chuggin.

I personally know a few guys who ride DRZ400s, that model seems to be prone to breaking it's sidecovers when dropped in the rocks. Overall it's a better bike than the 350 was.

For off-road only (non-street use) I recommend a used 250cc MX bike (CR250/YZ250, etc). They are highly capable machines and maintenance is cheap. Anything mid-90's or newer should be reliable. With the current 4-stroke craze, the market for these sweet bikes is saturated. Good deals abound.

If you really must have a 4-stroke, I recommend the XR400, good power and decent weight and manueverability. The XRs are worlds more reliable than the new batch of super-thumpers. With one of these you could putt or scream, they'll do both really well.

The modern 4-stroke hype is exactly that, hype. The overwhelming majority cactus-in-the-knuckles boulder-bouncing badasses ride 2-strokes... Usually a 250, but sometimes a 500 or KTM300/380. I prefer the CR500, but I'm compensating. ;)

DaisyCutter
01-05-2005, 00:07
Forgot to mention: One model I'd strongly recommend is the Kawasaki KDX200. I know a couple guys that can absolutely fly in these little bikes. They are nimble and forgiving. I'd pick a KDX200 hands down over a DR350.

An old artice I scrounged: http://www.motorcycle.com/mo/mcdirt/trailrider/1kdx200.html