AMD 64 or Pentium 4 for digital imaging work? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : AMD 64 or Pentium 4 for digital imaging work?

SanduneCC
12-21-2004, 00:42
I'm itching to build my next super duper computator for digital photography (photoshop) work. Which is more better, an AMD Athlon 64 3500 (socket 939) or a Pentium 4 3C (socket 478)? Another alternative is Dual Xeon 2.8 which should cost me a bit more. What's your recommendation?

Tentative layout is:

AMD 64 3500 with MSI Neo2 Platinum
2x1G of Corsair Value or Geil Ultra Value DDR PC3200

or

P4 3C with Asus P4C800-E Deluxe or Abit IC7-G MaxII
2x1G of Corsair Value or Geil Ultra Value DDR PC3200

or

Dual Xeon 2.8 533 with Asus PC-DL
2x1G of DDR PC2700

Hailstorm
12-21-2004, 08:13
Well, I can only say from my own PC that i built. I have a ASUS P4P800 . Then a 2.6C HT . The nice thing about that combo is. I can overclock to 3.4 if I wish. I play Half Life2 and it hates over clocking. SO I am setting at just over 3.0 at the moment. As for RAM, just make sure you have quality stuff. I am using Kingston Hyper X PC4000. I know its not the best for OC'ing. But t has a lifetime warrenty and it runs well for me. As for a differnece between AMD and Intel. Well. Intel actually puts money into training and getting the word out about there PCU's. AMD, you have to look for info. I mean if you go a retailer to choose a PC. I have never seen AMD info around. Its aways Intel. That beening said. Both will do the job for you. I prefer Intel. Why? Well. The AMD 64 bit system is good and all. But. Software wise it isn't going to be used right. I mean even Windows XP is a Beta for the 64 Bit. When they get the bugs out, then I would concider it. Personal opinion.:)

TheJokker
12-21-2004, 08:23
i would go with the amd64. both systems will give you dual channel memory and the wide memory bandwidth you need for your photoshop applications.

intel is changing their cpu pinset and mainboard design so you will have more problems upgrading down the road...

Goober35
12-21-2004, 13:53
If you want to do some bad ass editing get a Mac. That is about all they are good for is editing but they do a bad ass job. Dont wast you money on a bad ass computer and put **** ass ram in it eather.

Hailstorm
12-22-2004, 07:41
A Mac? Sure its a nice PC. However, try to get a program that works with it. Then try to upgrade it.;z