Is there a maximum quantity of operating systems which can be installed on a computer [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Is there a maximum quantity of operating systems which can be installed on a computer

David_G17
12-21-2004, 14:25
is there a limit? assuming the user is using LILO/GRUB or something similar, is there a maximum amount of entries? If so, what is it?

I'm probably going to buy a large hard drive and I'd like to play with lots of Linux distros.

thanks.

klmmicro
12-21-2004, 15:17
It is limited only by disk space. I have had Win 98 and XP, Linux (and about 5 experimental kernels) and an old version of BSD. All of this running on a desktop that had a huge HDD and LILO as the boot controller. Conceivably, there could have been more. Yes, you can add whatever to Lilo or Grub, but you have to think things through logically. Older copies of Windows had to reside on C, so you had to load them before beofre you loaded the others. Also, you need to be aware of any OS you will be loading that require overwriting the boot sector with their own loader. This will make a mess of Lilo so have a boot floppy available to get into Linux (or BSD as the case may be).

David_G17
12-21-2004, 16:11
Originally posted by klmmicro
Also, you need to be aware of any OS you will be loading that require overwriting the boot sector with their own loader. This will make a mess of Lilo so have a boot floppy available to get into Linux (or BSD as the case may be).

ain't that the truth. i spent about 12 hours a few weeks ago b/c i didn't make a boot floppy and tried to fix a windows install on a perfectly fine fedora core machine.

long story short: i lost everything (b/c i lost the partition table). oh well, lesson learned.

Glock Bob
12-22-2004, 00:43
There was this kid (about 15 y/o) on The Screen Savers (old TechTV program) that built a system with every version of DOS and Windows up to that point. It was like 30 of them. The thing had about 9 harddrives. It was incredible.

prism
12-22-2004, 05:09
GAG, THE GRAPHICAL BOOT MANAGER

http://gag.sourceforge.net/

neat little program. I ran it off a floppy disk.

I didn't get around to seeing if it could dualboot the *same* OS. :) that might be especially good for sharing a computer with someone.