Windows service pack 2 for XP [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Windows service pack 2 for XP

WolfmanGK
12-21-2004, 20:44
I installed this disservice pack on my newer HP desktop, and with the exception of slowing browser load times down, I like it. The popup blocker is a plus, but the thing I like most about it, is the startup process.

It is basically the exact same thing as "Hibernating" for a laptop, but the PC is COMPLETLEY TURNED OFF. So when you hit the power button, the desktop is displayed in seconds. I find this the most compelling reason to download it. I want to know, though, is this new form of startup for every computer that runs XP?

Or, is it some sort of newer technology in the HP that "Allows" it? The reason I ask is because I have an older PIII 800MHz laptop that I would like to have this feature on, sicne this laptop takes almost 4 minutes to start up. Any thoughts?

Bacchus
12-21-2004, 20:58
I'm not sure what you mean--my laptop takes about 3 times as long to boot up after installing SP 2. It bothers me so much that I've tried to uninstall the fix.

Can you elaborate on the hibernating aspect of it?

Tupperware
12-21-2004, 21:57
My XP machine with sp2 boots from cold to a functional desktop in about 30 seconds.

G. Gunman
12-21-2004, 22:22
:) Personally, I hate SP2. It takes my very fast notebook with its huge 1 gig RAM, at least, 3 times longer to load all the security crap and background programs into the system tray. The thing I hate about SP2 the most is the annoying way it disconnects me from any wireless connection that it is unable to clearly identify. My Linksys router and SP2 absolutely hate each other. I'm usually just one small step from uninstalling the whole damned package! ;g

NetNinja
12-21-2004, 22:52
I have no problems with SP2 on my desktop machine.

I run about three anti spyware and trojan tools along an active virus checker.

I only have 512mb of ram and running a AMD 2600 which is rated at 2.1 Ghz. Not exactly top of the line

I also run a Cisco VPN or real VNC or Putty to SSH into my linux servers.

I have absolutely no problems.

Washington,D.C.
12-21-2004, 23:04
I've noticed before SP2 I liked the way XP Pro worked compared to XP Home.Now after installing SP2 the PC with XP Home works just as smoothly as the PC with XP Pro.I don't know if the default settings changed or if it really works better.Everything on my XP Home PC works much better.I guess if I didn't have a PC with XP Pro I wouldn't know the difference.But so far no problems with SP2.