I have no clue. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : I have no clue.

ToBePD
12-21-2004, 22:02
I have never went hunting before and I would like to start next season. I am torn between a shotgun and a rifle (was leaning towards a rifle but now I think I want a shotgun), I can't make up my mind and I can't afford eather right now so that atleast helps. Sorta. I am just wondering, on shotguns, how do the calibers go? I meen what is the most powerfull and least powerfull? I was thinking of getting (if I got a shotgun) a Remington 870. Does that only come in 12 gauge? Is 12 gauge enough to drop a whitetail deer with proper shot placement? If I saw correctly Remington 870's are only a little under or over $400, is that correct?

StockGlock23
12-21-2004, 22:14
Firsdt off you what do you plan to hunt? Alos you sound like you are pretty new to the game soe I suggest before you set foot in a friearms department you set foot in a library. Or at the least surf the net a good deal. Just remember that not everything you read is true or totally factual.
An 870 is about the best all around choice without knowing what you plan to hunt. They are available in a 12 guage.
Try to find a local hunting club or shooting club/range. They people there will have ample info to get you started, but be sure you buy and hunt well practiced and well informed.

ToBePD
12-21-2004, 22:23
Originally posted by StockGlock23
Firsdt off you what do you plan to hunt? Alos you sound like you are pretty new to the game soe I suggest before you set foot in a friearms department you set foot in a library. Or at the least surf the net a good deal. Just remember that not everything you read is true or totally factual.
An 870 is about the best all around choice without knowing what you plan to hunt. They are available in a 12 guage.
Try to find a local hunting club or shooting club/range. They people there will have ample info to get you started, but be sure you buy and hunt well practiced and well informed.

I will be hunting whitetail deer. I am new to long guns, yes. I belong to a gun club and next time I go and someone is there with a shotgun or rifle I will ask them questions. I don't plan on buying it now so I will have time to research and hopefully test fire some. If I had a shotgun right now I would go shoot it probably every other time I shoot my pistol.

RMTactical
12-21-2004, 22:26
You can get an 870 Express for about $200 easy. The wingmasters are the $400 ones.

ToBePD
12-21-2004, 22:29
Originally posted by GoreLicks
You can get an 870 Express for about $200 easy. The wingmasters are the $400 ones.

I still don't know what you are talking about. Express? Wingmaster? If you can't tell me the difference can you lead me to a webpage?

All I want is a shotgun (or rifle, but were talking about shotguns know) that I can take hunting and will put a deer down, I can go trap shooting, and doesn't cost over $500. Thats it. It doesn't even have to look COOL, I would rather be able to hit a deer then look cool well missing. Thanks.

Hauptmann6
12-21-2004, 22:32
If you are going to be hunting in southern michigan you HAVE to get a shotgun. No rifle hunting south of M46 IIRC.

And PLEASE get someone to show you the ropes...

ToBePD
12-21-2004, 22:41
Originally posted by Hauptmann6
If you are going to be hunting in southern michigan you HAVE to get a shotgun. No rifle hunting south of M46 IIRC.

And PLEASE get someone to show you the ropes...

I will be taking a hunters safety class within a few months (if my gun club offers it now I will take it within a week or so), that definitely will help:) . Most of my family lives up beyond apple (M46) so I could go rifle up there, or stay where I live and do shotgun. I am close enough to do both.

DonGlock26
12-21-2004, 22:59
Get an Remington 870 12ga. It will take a deer or a bad guy. You can buy an 18 1/2" barrel for home defense. It is the most commonly issued Police shotgun. You might as well get used to it.;)

ToBePD
12-21-2004, 23:05
Originally posted by DonGlock26
Get an Remington 870 12ga. It will take a deer or a bad guy. You can buy an 18 1/2" barrel for home defense. It is the most commonly issued Police shotgun. You might as well get used to it.;)

Thanks. You read my profile. I thought it would be a good choice, but I wanted to make shur seeing I have never purchased a shotgun before.

Edit: Wingmaster is nearly $300 more. Is it worth it? Obviously so, but is it necessary? Yes, but do I need it?

MrMurphy
12-22-2004, 06:50
The Wingmaster is the top of the line 870, for bird hunting (hence the name).

Think of it as the Eddie Bauer model of the same 870.

An 870 Police Magnum, 18" barrel, will serve very well as a combat shotgun, and also do just fine on deer if you get the rifle or ghost ring sights, using slugs. However, without a longer barrel, no bird hunting.

First: Find out if you have to use a shotgun, or a rifle.
Second: find someone to go hunting with, if you don't know how to hunt, you'll be disappointed. And then if you DO get a deer, do you know how to clean it and skin it? GO WITH AN EXPERIENCED HUNTER.
Third: Is your state a mostly tree-stand state, or can you stalk (ground hunt). Big difference, especially if you have no treestand and it is a treestand area.

Fourth: Hunt on private or public land? What do you do if it's all private land hunting and you don't know anybody with the land?

Big Bird
12-22-2004, 07:29
Buy a Benelli Nova SP. Its a short 18 1/2" barrel shotgun with front and rear sights and will make an awesome deer ready slug gun. It will set you back about $270-300 depending on how much you shop around. Then buy a standard barrel with interchangeable chokes for about $150. Now, by simply removing the rear sight with two small screws and switching barrels you will have an excellent hunting and clay target gun. Total outfit shouldn't run more than $450!

noway
12-22-2004, 07:35
{Is it worth it? Obviously so, but is it necessary? Yes, but do I need it?}

A wingmaster or police model is not going to automatically kill any deer any better than a plain jane express model.

(one word of advice )

I would suggest that you WAIT, till you taken the hunter's course and then hook up with an experience hunter in your area for advice and suggestions. Hunting a whitetail with a shotgun vrs a rifle is not an apple to apple comparison. Totally different and requires a different approach, different respect towards ammo and of course range/distance limitation. Do your research 1st and then buy what seems adequate for your setup.

ithaca_deerslayer
12-22-2004, 10:05
Shotgun = big slug moving slow.
Rifle = small bullet moving fast.

The "power" between a .30-06 rifle and a 12 guage, for example, is about the same. They just use a different method to accomplish the goal. The advantage of a rifle is that it will shoot flatter for a longer distance, and retain the power over a longer distance.

To grossly simplify things, with a shotgun you will take shots out to 100 yards, and with a rifle you will take shots out to 200 yards. That's the basic difference. Shooters who know how to compensate for bullet drop can, if they want, take longer shots. But the ability of shooters will initially probably limit shots with both the shotgun and rifle to about 75 yards.

RJ Schuknecht
12-22-2004, 14:04
First take the Hunter`s Safety Class. Then decide where you going to hunt. Don`t go out and buy a gun that you can`t use in the zone you are going to hunt in.

ToBePD
12-22-2004, 18:28
I could hunt in eather zone, seeing how close I am to the "border". I have family that live in the rifle zone, and I live in the shotgun zone.

I have asked my uncles and they all said they would take me out hunting next season. They all are very experienced hunters.

I have taken a look at the Remington Express 870 and at a Meijers that I work at it is $269.99. Then if I buy it on the 30th of december I can get %15 off and if i use my team member card another %10 off. That makes the remington 870 a total of $218.93, then however many meijer gift cards I get from family meens even less that I have to spend. So I will be looking at getting it for less the $200. That sounds like a darn good deal. I can't pass it up. I will still have to buy a 18" barrel but still it is a can't pass opportunity.

Sixgun_Symphony
12-22-2004, 19:24
Originally posted by ToBePD
I am torn between a shotgun and a rifle...

Consider the Savage M24 combination gun. You get a rifle & shotgun in one weapon.

*click here* (http://www.savagearms.com/24f12.htm)

I recommend the .30-30 & 12 gauge combination for deer.

ToBePD
12-22-2004, 19:38
Originally posted by Sixgun_Symphony
Consider the Savage M24 combination gun. You get a rifle & shotgun in one weapon.

That would be good and all, but, I don't have that much money and I wont for awhile. With the money I save on the Remington 870 I will be able to get a rifle all its own. Thanks though. I just don't think I can pass up that shotgun for less then $200, Brand New.

Hauptmann6
12-22-2004, 22:36
Originally posted by Sixgun_Symphony

No can do in michigan. Shotgun only. No rifle afeild.

BTW what Meijer do you work at?

Sixgun_Symphony
12-23-2004, 00:22

What is my major? Library Technician program @ highline C.C. Check out the website.

http://flightline.highline.edu/library000/

glockess56
12-23-2004, 00:57
I'm like the others. Take a hunter safety course first before you buy anything. Each state's dept. of Natural Resources usually have these all over the state. They will go over different types of rifles, shotguns, muzzleloaders, etc. and what is legal in that state. For example, in Ohio, we can't use high powered rifles for deer hunting, just shotguns/slug guns. After you take the hunter safety course, you will get a better idea what type of gun you might be interested in. I have a Mossburg 500, which has an interchangeable barrel from shotgun to deer barrel. I also have a Remington 1100. Both are 12 gauge. These shotguns I have also come in 20 gauge. I have a single shot 20 gauge I first used when I started hunting three years ago. Try a 12 or 20 at the range and see how each feels. It's a matter of preference. Try to see when you buy your gun how it fits. It could go by your structure. Some people are smaller and have smaller arms, etc. Some women or youth like shorter barrels or how it fits into the shoulder. Talk to people you trust who have these type of guns and look for sales at the gun store, that's what I did. And above all, be safe and have fun. Going out in the woods, even if you don't harvest an animal if worth the trip. Each hunt is different and has a story behind it. Also, there are so many different creatures out there to enjoy. Good luck on your hunting experiences.

ToBePD
12-23-2004, 09:17
No can do in michigan. Shotgun only. No rifle afeild.

Grand Haven Meijer. Been there for about 3 1/2 years. Working with people really makes you realize how bad and rude alot of them are though.:)

Edit: Above M-46 is rifle zone below M-46 is shotgun zone. I live close enough to both and have family in both that hunts.

ToBePD
12-23-2004, 14:06
I went over to the meijer that I will be buying my Remington 870 Express 12 gauge from and it felt nice, long yes, but nice. It almost felt as if it were a toy, and looked like a toy. Obviously not so. I will buy the shorter 18" barrel for sure. Where can I get that? How much does it cost?

Thanks...

MrMurphy
12-23-2004, 14:13
870 express 18.5" usually runs bout $275-300 new.

ToBePD
12-23-2004, 21:21
Originally posted by MrMurphy
870 express 18.5" usually runs bout $275-300 new.

Thats for the whole gun right? I am wondering how much just the barrel cost. The Express 870 I looked at had the longer barrel on it. I just will want the shorter barrel, how much?

MrGlock21
12-27-2004, 21:05
Have fun reading a book about the basics of hunting. And hook up with experienced guys. Get your 'hunting plans' organized. At that point it seems to me that you have no idea what's the heck is going on ;)

ToBePD
12-27-2004, 22:32
I shot my first shotgun yesterday, the Remington 870 Wingmaster trap shoot shotgun, or something about trap shoot. It was a heck of alot of fun, a big difference from a little 9mm, and it helps that I can actually buy my own ammo for this type of gun:cool:. The only difference that I can see between the wingmaster and express is glossing of the wood and engravings on it also. If i'm wrong please tell me I want to know why one costs $300 more. I will be buying my express in 3 days, can't wait.