I need your help [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : I need your help

BigDog
12-23-2004, 07:47
Ladies, do you have any suggestions for a book on women's issues around concealed carry? My wife wants to get a permit. I'm LEO and can handle most issues but not all. I am going to make sure she reads, "In The Gravest Extreme." Any suggestions?

Melissa Ann
12-23-2004, 11:10
I havent' read them but they were recommended by people I respect:

"Principles of Personal Defense" by Jeff Cooper
"Armed and Female" (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0312951507/qid=1102347435/sr=8-1/ref=pd_ka_1/103-9102352-1208630?v=glance&s=books&n=507846) by Paxton Quigley
"Effective Defense: the Woman, the Plan, the Gun" (www.firearmsacademy.com/book.htm) by Gila Hayes
"Gun Women" (www.aware.org/booksnsites.shtml) by Mary Zeiss Stange and Carol Oyster

Hope that helps.
Melissa :)

dhoomonyou
12-23-2004, 11:12
my lady liked the books by Gavin Debecker (SP?)
I have no idea if he's pro or anti gun.

BigDog
12-23-2004, 14:52
Ooooh, nice job with the links, Melissa Ann. Thanks!

MrMurphy
12-24-2004, 09:00
Gavin De Becket ( I think that is his name) is pro defense, but antigun (weird eh)... he's a knife guy.

DEFCON1
12-26-2004, 04:37
Gavin DeBecker:

1st book: "The Gift of Fear", awesome book on using intuition to predict violent behavior. A MUST read, period. The booked is geared towards women, though is great for all.
2nd book: "Protecting the Gift", good book about Motherly intuition and our intuitive drive to protect our children. Good book for mothers, new and experienced alike.
3rd book: "Fear Less" A book about post 9/11 fear. A good book that puts alot of unwarranted fears in perspective.

DeBecker is a behavioral science genious. Alot of stock is placed on his theories and studies. www.gdbinc.com (http://www.gdbinc.com)

Glockgirl26
12-29-2004, 07:56
DeBecker's books are pretty good, though he had a couple of points I didn't agree with, one being that he is anti-gun. The other thing he raised at the end of The Gift of Fear was that he doesn't advocate walking around with a high level of awareness, he says you should basically trust your intuition to clue you in to a danger situation. But it is still worth a read.

DEFCON1
02-19-2005, 00:44
Originally posted by Glockgirl26
DeBecker's books are pretty good, though he had a couple of points I didn't agree with, one being that he is anti-gun. The other thing he raised at the end of The Gift of Fear was that he doesn't advocate walking around with a high level of awareness, he says you should basically trust your intuition to clue you in to a danger situation. But it is still worth a read.

Hadnt followed up on this post for a while but had a comment on De Becker being anti-gun. I do believe that is inaccurate. I will quote a line from a July 2000 Guns magazine interview with De Becker. "I dont in any way advocate government gun control. I certainly do advocate personal gun control. And that is being responsible for a lethal product in your home, not letting it get into the hands of strangers."

Do you own guns now?

"Sure. I probably own a hundred firearms today."

The guns magazine interviewer really gave him some tough challenges on his stance on guns. He replied that he was a strong advocate of gun responsibility and not a fan of the small efforts gun manufacturers make in order to make gun ownership a safer process.

Anyhow, thought I might add that info as food for thought.

STAY SAFE!