What's wrong with the pic? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : What's wrong with the pic?

ClydeG19
12-23-2004, 10:21
Maybe I just haven't been around long enough to see this procedure, but this strikes me as just wrong.

fazed
12-23-2004, 11:41
It's called a standing takedown... You have someone who is ambulatory on scene & then later wants to be transported. Do you walk them to the stretcher & sit them on the board or, keep them still in a standing position, maintain inline immobilization & take them down to the ground to finish w/ the straps & headblocks? I have used this technique in just this very instance before. It works.

Matt

jlw_84
12-23-2004, 14:06
Yep, standing takedown. Obviously not the preferred manner, but when faced with a pt. standing when you arrive and you make the call to do C-spine, thats how you "get-r-dun".

KY Moose
12-23-2004, 22:04
I see AFB on the back of one firefighters turnout coat. Any one know what air force base those firefighters from?

I'm guessing F.E. Warren AFB in Wyoming.

N2DFire
12-24-2004, 12:18
One more for the standing take down. Not only is it not "wrong" (We teach both the 2 person & 3 person technique in Basic Trauma Life Support) - it actually works pretty well if you've practiced it and know how to do it properly.

From the picture it looks like they are preparing for the 3 person version which (IMHO) gives slightly better C-Spine control than the 2 person.

For the record (and the liability watchdogs in the audience) - I would HIGHLY suggest that you not just start trying this on your own until you have someone who knows all the little tricks & traps of the procedure show you how first.

There - now that I've said that - off the record get out in your crew hall & find a dumb er willing victim to play Pt. and try it for yourself. If you run into problems PM or e-mail me and I'll try to talk you through your problem.

DepChief
12-24-2004, 13:39
In the EMS system that OBXPRNSTAR and I work in we do this procedure often, and yes it is prefered when backboarding patients that are already in a standing position. OBXPRNSTAR and I went x-mas shopping last week and a car right in front of us crossed the highway and flipped end over end landing inverted in a ditch filled with water. She had to be rapidly extricated because she was under water and since we already had her standing, bingo! Made for an interesting shopping trip.

obxemt
12-28-2004, 11:15
Originally posted by DepChief
In the EMS system that OBXPRNSTAR and I work in we do this procedure often, and yes it is prefered when backboarding patients that are already in a standing position.

Have you forgotten my contributions to your stytem three careers ago? I've done them 697,000 times but never knew it was called a "standing takedown". Most effective for "oh my neck, oh my back, oh my lawyer" patients with 2-inch tape across the eyebrows.

FireCaptain
12-31-2004, 22:25
Works great on people who are standing when you arrive on scene. You have to practice it first BEFORE using it. I have used it by placing my hands inthe patients armpits and lowering them and also using a horse collar laced through the handholds of the longboard. I like the horsecollar the best.