Need Video card help!!! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Need Video card help!!!

mhambi
12-23-2004, 10:23
OK, I'm here at work and have the following problem:

1 Emachines box, which I loath.
Onboard Prosavage DDR video

The user was going to upgrade the video card to an evga geforce 5200.

he disabled the prosavage in the device manager. Then uninstalled the driver. turned computer off.

seated the new agp card.

started up went into bios changed video settings to 128m to match card, saved and restarted. Gets flashing lines and squares, nothing else.

So then he decides to take out the video card and go back to the onboard to try to figure it out. Now he gets nothing. The computer goes through the post beep normally, but the monitor is getting nothing. It does appear that the computer is booting into windows normally, just nothing on the screen.

I've tried getting to the bios w/ no luck

I've tried hitting f8 and arrowing up the right number of times to get to 'last known good' or 'vga mode' with no luck (all blind)

emachines wants me to send it in, but I would rather solve the problem without waiting 8-10 business days... HELP!!!

David_G17
12-23-2004, 12:05
find out the motherboard maker and model.

download the latest bios firware. flash it.

BOB THEDOG
12-23-2004, 12:24
At the very least clr the bios.

Will the MB accept an 8x video card or is it only able to power a 4x?

AZ-Boog
12-23-2004, 12:48
reset the CMOS.

short the jumper or remove the cmos battery.

Unplug the power cord first after turning system off.

fastvfr
12-25-2004, 20:30
Are you sure that is all the (L)user did to it?

I mean, that 'upgrade' is about as pointless as they come...upgrading from an onboard solution to a 5200 is like going from a .22LR Standard to a .22LR HiVel round. VERY little difference.

You might have to use a PCI graphics card to access the BIOS.

Oh, how I HATE OEM "PC's"...more trouble than they are worth.

mhambi
12-27-2004, 09:34
Originally posted by fastvfr
Are you sure that is all the (L)user did to it?

I mean, that 'upgrade' is about as pointless as they come...upgrading from an onboard solution to a 5200 is like going from a .22LR Standard to a .22LR HiVel round. VERY little difference.

You might have to use a PCI graphics card to access the BIOS.

Oh, how I HATE OEM "PC's"...more trouble than they are worth.

The S3 onboard graphics is complete crap (32MB) The 5200, while not a great card itself is waaay better so far for what we use it for.

Turned out the original card had bad memory. New card works great.