Just got a Palm Tungsten E. What can it do? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Just got a Palm Tungsten E. What can it do?

Grabbrass
12-24-2004, 20:56
In my family we always open one gift on Christmas Eve, and I pulled out this nifty gadget. Never would've gone out and bought one of these for myself. Palm Tungsten E.
So, what can this puppy do?

Multimedia/video playback ... is it quicktime only, or can it play mpg's? What about .avi/divx? What about .wmv?

Games ... emulation?? What's possible?

MP3? Is it equal to any dedicated MP3 player?

Any good sites for freeware? PM please.

I'm pretty up on runnin' this here PC thingie, but I've never even looked at PDA's. Am I gonna love it, or get tired of it?

BtW I do work in an office and so I probably do have some practical uses for it. But I'm more interested in pushin' the toy envelope.

Washington,D.C.
12-25-2004, 01:07
http://www.thetechlounge.com/review.php?directory=palm_tungsten_e

Washington,D.C.
12-25-2004, 01:08
http://www.palmone.com/us/products/

Washington,D.C.
12-25-2004, 01:10
http://www.palmfocus.com/tungstene.htm

mwheeler
12-25-2004, 07:18
http://www.avantgo.com

Ffolkes
12-25-2004, 13:20
Very handy device, saved me from having to carry around all those paperback books, I just read everything on my Palm. It has the brightest and easiest to read screen I have ever seen in a handheld.
__
ffolkes.

Grabbrass
12-25-2004, 15:44
I don't know. I've been following up on the links you guys provided (the palmfocus one leads to a useful links page) and I'm not sure this is really for me. I'm sure it's quite handy for those who need one.

It's still unopened although I don't have the receipt and I'm not asking my mom for it. It may end up listed in the classifieds here soon. Need to think.

Anyway, thanks.

DonL
12-27-2004, 02:52
Hey mwheeler....When is that thing going to be FAA certified?

NetNinja
12-27-2004, 13:09
Well it makes a great coster.

it's one more thing to loose.

It's another gadget that needs batteries

After 4 months you'll realize you don't really need it.

Grabbrass
12-27-2004, 17:21
It doesn't need batteries. Built-in lithium rechargeable. I've been doing some research to help me decide whether to keep it or not, although I do have it posted in the classifieds right now. If it sells, great. I hope someone can use it to greater effect than I'm likely to. However it is amazing what can be done with one of these little computers. You can get a 1gb flash harddrive for it for $75, it plays video, mp3, displays photos, plays games ... there's Sega Classics (Sonic!) and Atari, plus apparently there's a Gameboy emulator. There's all kinds of utilities and applications available, free and commercial. And oh yeah .. it's a organizer/address book/planner.

If I keep it, I'll enjoy it. But I'll use it as a toy 99% of the time.

Mr Jody Hudson
12-27-2004, 20:21
I use mine all the time, dozens and dozens of times each day. However mine is only a tool, not a toy. It is a great little computer and of great value to me as my primary tool - after my synchronized laptop here of course!

G-19
12-27-2004, 20:31
I have had one for about a year. I love it and feel lost when I leave it at home. The "doc to go" is a great program as well as mobileDB. I suggest getting a hard case for it. They cost approx. 35.00 but well worth it.

Try here for freeware: Freeware (http://www.freewarepalm.com)

Glk23
12-28-2004, 20:38
Just bought my wife one for Christmas and she loves it. She had a little Sharp orginizer that held phone #'s, addresses, emails, PIN numbers (secure) and birthdays. The T E does 1000 times more. Just depends on how you want to use it to fit your lifestyle. It is great for games also. We have a 5 month old daughter and we both work, so it will come in handy for notes, reminders and many other day to day operations. Also comes in handy on long trips (something to do) if your not driving. You can also download music and ebooks on the SD card and listen to tunes and read books on the thing. There are many downloads, cards and software that make those things very usefull. I would get a hard case for it also, Best Buy for 25.00 or Overstock.com. It's like anything else play with it for awhile and you will find a use for it. No pun intended. cnet.com has some good reviews also.

Glk23
12-28-2004, 21:20
Just bought my wife one for Christmas and she loves it. She had a little Sharp orginizer that held phone #'s, addresses, emails, PIN numbers (secure) and birthdays. The T E does 1000 times more. Just depends on how you want to use it to fit your lifestyle. It is great for games also. We have a 5 month old daughter and we both work, so it will come in handy for notes, reminders and many other day to day operations. Also comes in handy on long trips (something to do) if your not driving. You can also download music and ebooks on the SD card and listen to tunes and read books on the thing. There are many downloads, cards and software that make those things very usefull. I would get a hard case for it also, Best Buy for 25.00 or Overstock.com. It's like anything else play with it for awhile and you will find a use for it. No pun intended. cnet.com has some good reviews also.