DSL=======>SSSSLLLOOOOOOWWWWzzzzzzzzzz z z z z [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : DSL=======>SSSSLLLOOOOOOWWWWzzzzzzzzzz z z z z

MLM
12-25-2004, 17:53
Man, I don't know what gives!
Seems lately my dsl has slowwed down BIG TIME, especially upload.!!! I'm thinking dialup was faster!!!

HELP!

Anybody has any hints on where to look system wise. I checked with dslreports.com and did their test and it showed my dsl running bout equal with dialup.
As far as I know nothing has changed on/in my system.
Disabled Firewall and AntiVirus; no change.
What about AntiSpyware? As ar as I know I'm free of spyware/adware.

HELP!

fastvfr
12-25-2004, 20:16
How much is running in the background? If there are lots of icons near the clock, those unneeded resource hogs will play a big part in the slowdown.

It could be with the ISP. Did they assign an IP address? If so, they may have switched the DNS around a bit and neglected to tell anyone, thinking it would work okay.

However, did you change, remove or add anything on your PC around the time it slowed to a crawl? How long has this been going on?

You could uninstall and reinstall the modem drivers and the DSL Attendant apps; that may help.

I'd check with the ISP first, though.

MLM
12-25-2004, 20:58
To give you an idea of what I'm talking about I just did a speed test at dslreports.com.

The service I'm signed up for calls for 256 down/128 up.

Results:
download 200kbps
upload 19kbps

hwyhobo
12-25-2004, 21:09
I had problems like that for a while. Phone company determined that there was an intermittent interference problem with the line (last mile) and re-routed me through a different box. The service's been great ever since.

MLM
12-25-2004, 22:34
The wife has commented that the slow down seem to of started soon after the recent (3 months ago) storms blew thru the area.
In one storm many trees were blown down with power and phone lines being snapped in many places including the line running from our house to the pole. The phone company repaired the snapped line with some kind of block the two ends feed into.
I'm thinking the phone wire is compromised all over the area resulting in downgraded performance.
Wife is planning on giving our phone company/isp a buzz.

MLM
12-26-2004, 09:02
Okay, I believe it's fixed, at least I'm back to where we were when we first got dsl.
What I ended up doing was shutting down the computer and completely disconnect the modem; power, phone and ethernet for a minute or so.
I'm geussing the modem resetted itself.

200kbps down
98kbps up

Dandapani
12-26-2004, 09:39
Get Cable. 2.7Mbs d/l

nickg
12-27-2004, 15:00
i FINALLY got DSL last week. everything worked fine until yesterday. was on the phone for about an hour with tech support going through all the diagnostic stuff trying to figure out what was up.

nothing worked so last resort was figuring it could be with the modem itself. they are sending me a new one and should have it tomorrow.

jamiecw
01-08-2005, 01:38
Originally posted by dmobrien2001
Get Cable. 2.7Mbs d/l
3 megs?
I got 8 meg downstream 256 up ($33/month).
;z ;z ;z

nickg
01-10-2005, 10:50
i got my problem worked out. i don't think it was the modem after all. just a connection problem. and now that i've walked through it a couple off times i don't have any problems getting it to connect again should another problem come up.

speeds are excellent. thank god no more dial up.

dsl actually makes checking out stuff on the web fun again. i got tired of waiting forever for stuff to load, not being able to connect on dial up, getting booted off, etc.

www.dslreports.com has been a good source of dsl info, speed tests, tweaks, etc.