Bipods? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Bipods?

Esox357
12-26-2004, 11:07
I am looking to equip my rem 700 ADL with a Bipod? Will the bipod cause any accuracy problems? I am worried about vibrations from shooting off the ground? Other options I have thought about are shooting sticks. I will be using this for deer hunting. Lastly, What bipod would you recommend? Thanks Esox357

buckfever34
12-26-2004, 19:36
From my experience having a bipod has ONLY increased a rifle's performance.

If you will be hunting from the ground Get a 13-26 inch model. This will allow you to shoot from your stomach or sitting up.

I have a swivel model Harris that adjusts from 13-26 inches and I will not hunt deer from the ground without it. I am a big guy, (about 6'6") and I can lean against a tree and still utilize the bipod. Also, the swivel model makes shooting from uneven terrain much easier.

I have tried other brands and have not found anything nearly as reliable, durable, and just plain nice as the Harris.

I've never tried shooting sticks....

Hope this helps,
Clint Waskom (Buckfever34)

Esox357
12-27-2004, 08:03
Thanks Buckfever34, I will definetly check into it. I normally sit in a spot and think a bipod would be a great idea for the type of hunting I am doing. Esox357

Wildpony
12-27-2004, 10:49
My experience is that if you are using a rifle with much "recoil" like the 7mm Magnum, it is best not to use bipod to shoot the rifle from hard surfaced like concrete or hard dirt. The hard surface will make the rifle bounce and cause inconsistant accuracy. If you are using the rifle to shoot across a field using the soft dirt to rest the bipod on then shooting will be fine. For bench shooting a sand bag is much more consistant and conducive to accuracy than a bipod. (in my experience)

Porsonally I have stopped using bipods alltogather. I cannot stand the way that the bipod alters the carrying and pointing characteristics of my rifle. Now I alwayse carry a backpack with me in the field full of possible necesities. If a long shot arises then I simply remove the backpack and use it as a rest. This is the most versitile and consistant method of shooting from the prone position during hunting situations that I have found. If you are sceptical as to the stability of the backpack rest try setting up milk jugs full of water at 500 yds and shooting at them. I get hits more often and am more stable from bipods. I don't hunt at that range but it sure helps hone the skills.

Naturally there is some difference in opinion on this topic and that is fine, this is just what I have found from my experience.

A good example of this is the fact that Army snipers you will usually see using biposd. Marine snipers on the other hand usually are seen using "squeeze bags" (socks filled with sand) for stability. Both are trained to use them proficiently and do a fine job with the tools of their trade. But personally I believe the Marines have a more versitile system for accurate shooting.

Esox357
12-27-2004, 13:09
Thank you as well for your insight, Wildpony. Esox357

Hunterjbb
12-27-2004, 15:24
I like my bipod out on the front end.. gives it some wieght when not using it, personally i think it helps me stabilze the weapon shooting freehand..

Wildpony I don't understand why you think a bipod off a hard surface will cause inaccuracy, it's not like he's going to be shooting a semi auto, all the bipod will do is cause you to maybe have a slower recovery time for the secod shot on hard surfaces, as you have to find the target again from the recoil and possible bounce.. otherwise it should be just as useful on hard surfaces for the most important first shot.

I would recomend the Harris also, i've used both the short leg and longer legged models, i have not used the swivel although that seems like it would be pretty useful.

Only problem i have with a bipod, is sometimes your caught between being able to use it and not due to shot angle, or body position etc.. I don't know much about shooting sticks as i've never used them. Plus it's one more thing you have to carry.. although you can say that for the bipod also.

good luck. heck try both if you can, ask your friends if they have either that you can try.

Jeff.

PS: I carry a backpack also on trips to the field and have used it also like Wildpony suggests.. a good suggestion there also.

MarkCO
12-27-2004, 16:09
Except for maybe antelope, I don't like them much for big game hunting. I carry a steady stix in my pack just in case and they are much lighter and more versatile. Bi-pods tend to weight down the rifle and change the handling qualities in a negative manner. If I have needed a rest, I have usually been able to sit, kneel or use a tree branch for the minimal steadying that I have needed. My longest kill shot was 425 yards on a cow elk. I was prone and used my pack as a rest off the top of a knoll.

I've taken dozens of head of big game and only one time did I wish for a bi-pod. I was lying in a ravine hunting plains deer. I needed a little elevation on the rifle and could not really get it. I took off my boot and rested the rifle on the upper (9" boot). Worked perfect.

nickE10mm
12-28-2004, 10:08
I always have one either ATTACHED to my .243 or in a backpack while hunting. It will most definitely help with longer shots. Ditto on the 13-26" model, its great for sitting or prone shots.

Cheers

nickE10mm
12-28-2004, 10:12
Here's the pic, sorry...

Esox357
12-28-2004, 12:06
Thanks for the suggestions guys. Esox357

mpol777
12-28-2004, 12:17
I prefer using a sling myself. It fits my type of shooting and is more versatile. If I have to set up stands at longer ranges I swap my carry strap for a sling and setup before I start calling.

The big advantage I see in the sling is that I can move easier. The bipod is perfect if the coyote comes in right where you're pointing, but Murhpy's Law goes against that. ;f Somehow they "know" and come in from the left or right. Then you flop your rifle over, cussing under your breath trying to get the damn thing level on a rocky hillside. In the meantime the coyote snickers at you and runs off into the mesquite.

I had the Harris bipod. It was a good piece of gear, just didn't fit my hunting. They're aren't all that expensive so it'd be worth a shot. If you end up cussing under your breath you can always swap it for a sling later. :)

Garweh
12-28-2004, 12:25
I have a pair of shooting sticks from Stony Point. They adjust from approximately 20 inches to approximately 60 inches. I am able to consistently hit a 6 inch steel plate at 425 yards, 9/10 times both sitting and standing with them as a rest for my 300WSM. When at the range, I use the shooting sticks, instead of a sanbag for long range practice as I will have the sticks and not sandbag in the field.

buckfever34
12-29-2004, 07:49
Tons of great advice guys...I like hearing everybody's opinions. I think I am going to invest in a pair of shooting sticks and give them a try.

mpol777---you are exactly right. A bipod is not really all that useful when coyote hunting. I always try to set up to call by a tree or something I could get a quick rest from if needed.

Coyotes coming to a call are much more unpredictable than deer stepping out from a woods to slowly feed across/on a field.

Keep the opinions a comin!!!!!

Buckfever34

Wildpony
12-30-2004, 07:46
Some one asked me, in reply to my earlier post, "why hard surfaces would cause inacuracy from a bipod?"

Here are my observations.

Recoil you see starts before the bullet ever exits the barrel, Also recoil is not only straight backwards but also very harmonic in nature. With high energy rounds like the 7mm magnums and up, the harmonic vibrations caused by the ignition process of the cartrige ar such that they are enough to cause significant vibration of the firearm before the projectile leaves the barel. When shooting from a sandbag the softer surface helps to absorb these vibrations and help the shooter maintain consistant point of impact. The same applies when a bipod is anchored in a soft surface such as sand or plowed dirt. However when the firearm is sitting on a hard bipod rested on a hard surface, less absorbtion can take place and the rifle may vibrate against the surface before the bullet is cleared.

Given the difference in accuracy may not be all that significant but with my hand loads and my rifle can shoot 7/8 inch groups from a sand bag and 1&1/4 inch groups from a bipod, both being rested on my steal shooting bench.

I hope that this helps answer any questions concerning my perspective on the use of bipods. They are just my observations and are what works for me.

The best thing I can advise is to just try a bunch of different things to see what works best for you aswell.

Keep it safe, God bless, and enjoy.