Alright, need the data recovery gurus [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Alright, need the data recovery gurus

Sinister Angel
12-26-2004, 13:42
Alright folks, here is the problem. I had a 160 gig drive go down. Now, it doesn't seem like a physical problem, but windows started saying it doesn't have a file system. Anyways, I thought I'd open it up in hex workshop to see if the data is still read able. Luckilly, it is, but the attatched image is the warning it gave me up front. Now, the data I'm most concerned about are a few ISOs I added to it (the data I copied from a 120 gig that is in storage, it still works, but I'm not sure if it was on it's way out, so thats why I got the 160). So I'm wondering if there is a way to look at the allocation table and tell what sectors certain files occupy. This way I can kind of go through and copy the data from the sectors with the hex editor. Any ideas?

NetNinja
12-26-2004, 14:17
??

Why don't you just make that Hard Drive a slave and attach it to another running computer and copy the files over or burn then to cd.

fastvfr
12-26-2004, 14:25
If the .iso's in question were store-bought, they could easily have used that 'oversized' scheme to prevent easy copying, which confuses the heck out of Windoze.

So, yeah, slap that drive in as Slave or install it in an external USB/Firewire enclosure and copy the data over, or simply burn it to CD...though you may need an app like Alcohol 120% for that chore, or the resultant disks may not work properly.

Sinister Angel
12-26-2004, 14:48
Originally posted by NetNinja
??

Why don't you just make that Hard Drive a slave and attach it to another running computer and copy the files over or burn then to cd.

That's what I tried the first time. I tried bringing the drive into my linux box (AMD K6-2 500 machine, whohoo!). It didn't seem to want to detect the drive on that machine though..

As for the ISOs, they worked just fine, it's just that the whole drive decided not to show it's data at random. It's not a big big deal if I can't recover the 20 or so gigs I added since the other drive, but it would be nice. Now that I have a DVD burner, alot of stuff is going on those and into the firesafe with the glock.

SamBuca
12-26-2004, 14:51
Did you try scandisk (fat32) or chkdsk (ntfs)? My laptop hardrive made XP blue screen on boot (NTFS_UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_DRIVE). Opening the admin console in XP using the XP disc and running chkdsk fixed it.

Sinister Angel
12-26-2004, 14:58
Originally posted by SamBuca
Did you try scandisk (fat32) or chkdsk (ntfs)? My laptop hardrive made XP blue screen on boot (NTFS_UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_DRIVE). Opening the admin console in XP using the XP disc and running chkdsk fixed it.

It's considered a RAW drive (No File system), so chkdsk wouldn't touch it.

gamegod86
12-26-2004, 22:04
I wonder if Knoppix or some other LiveCD OS would be able to read it.

If it does, you might be able to move the files within your network. (or onto the 'net even)

Been playing with Knoppix a bit lately...seems very cool.

SamBuca
12-26-2004, 23:07
Originally posted by Sinister Angel
It's considered a RAW drive (No File system), so chkdsk wouldn't touch it.
What type of file system was it before it went bad?

Washington,D.C.
12-26-2004, 23:50
Windows doesn't reconize my Linux hard drive.The best I found to see and copy something like that is Simply Mepis or Pro Mepis.They can run live from CD like Knoppix.The very best live Linux CD I've found is PCLinuxOS but it doesn't come with as many tools.Makes a better desktop OS.I think Mepis will do what you want.The mainh difference in Simply Mepis and Pro Mepis is Pro Mepis has a bit more server software ans Simply Mepis is geared more for the desktop.They both can see your hard drives and copy/tranfer files from them.The latest Knoppix,3.7 has most of these features too.There is also Kanotix and Knoppix-STD.I think Mepis might be best for what you want to do.PCLinuxOS is one of the best Linux these days though.

fastvfr
12-27-2004, 18:03
Originally posted by SamBuca
What type of file system was it before it went bad?

Inquiring minds want to know!!

gunfrk
12-27-2004, 19:45
I once regularly ran Ghost to keep a backup of all my files until Norton AV saw FAT table confusion in which it said my table said it was x.xx gig when it was actually larger. ( the drives were unequal in size) It asked if I would like them to fix it. Well why not. Wrong. On reboot, not the blue screen of death but a black one saying No OS found. Yep the mother of all crashes. It couldn't be read or even seen by any OS I had. I found a program called GetDataBack both for FAT and NTFS. I paid $69 for the license and recovered every file. Whew! That was 5 years work almost gone. It works very easy. Run GetDataBack on your master and use the busted drive as slave. Just make sure you have enough space for your files to be moved onto your master.

bytelevel
12-31-2004, 09:24
Yeah - I don't know that copying the data with a hex editor is a viable option.

However, I'll second the recommendation for knoppix. I've had several friends who were able to salvage the data off their disks with it, though I've never used it.

Also - and keep in mind I have no idea of your level of familiarity with linux - but did you mount the drive when you connected it to your linux box? If so, did you get an error?

Sinister Angel
12-31-2004, 10:35
Ooops, ****, didn't notice the replies. It was NTFS. On boot, the system itself was having problems even recognizing the Hard drive for some reason. It's no big deal. It was just 20 gigs of **** I can replace. In fact, I've already started. Thanks for the help though guys!

SamBuca
01-01-2005, 13:05
If it was NTFS, then all you had to do was put your XP disc in, let it boot from the CD, go into the recovery console, then type 'chkdsk /f c:'