Gun eating bird [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Gun eating bird

Frostback
12-26-2004, 17:31
A while ago I was in the living room of my "dungeon" suite giving a quick cleaning to my Rem 700VS before packing it away for a couple of months. My African Grey Parrot kept coming off the cage to "help" me, and I kept putting him back on it. I told him "Once more and you're locked up!". He behaved for a while.

I had almost finished and only needed to put a couple of oiled patches down the bore, but had run out and needed to get a couple more from the store room. When I got back 30 seconds later, the little monster was having a great time with the tip of his beak in the bore, grinding away on the muzzle.

I yelled at him as I was worried he might get sick from any reside left from the cleaning (he didn't) and put him on his cage (yet again). After I ran the first oiled patch through, I noticed that there was a small tuft of lint on the crown that wasn't there after my final dry patch. I picked it off and thought nothing of it. After the second patch there was some more lint.

I checked the crown with a light, and to my horror, the bottom land had one corner flattened, and the other had a small raised burr! There was also a tiny scratch in the center of the land.

I packed the bird away (a little bit late!) dry patched the bore, grabbed some ammo and went to the range. My 3/4MOA rifle was now a 2-3/4MOA anchor. I was so mad I was ready to have the most expesive hot wings in history! Reason prevailed, and I took the gun in and had it re-crowned. The smith said it didn't look like I did the damage with the cleaning rod. Hard to believe that Chester's beak could do that to a steel barrel, but there it was.

Moral of the story? Don't let your youngsters handle your guns unsupervised.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v608/9x19/Chester2.jpg

Frosty

MrsKitty
12-26-2004, 22:16
If he can do that to steel, imagine what he can do to fingers! ;P ;P ;P ;P

dpesec
12-26-2004, 22:36
I understand completely. I have large parrots too. I will consider your wisdom.
I've lost drywall, window frames, not to mention many shirts.
Oh well, you've got to love parrots.
;f

Frostback
12-27-2004, 11:55
Other than that rifle, the only things he seems intent on destroying are zippers and buttons. I don't think I own a single shirt that he hasn't either broken or removed at least one button on! Oh yeah, he also pulled the stem out of one of my watches. He is so quick, the damage is done before I can react!

Frosty