I can't even get a deer even if I sat on him [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : I can't even get a deer even if I sat on him

noway
12-27-2004, 01:51
i whent out this early cold , breezy day for deer hunting. i track thru a pasture and sat up in an area known for alot of deer crossing. Now , let me explain, i had a day pack with seat, red light and the condition was cold and windy. the ground was wet and soggy from the overnight rains.

i track over 1mile into this area before reaching the spot. i erected my stool and it wasn't too quiet in doing so ( it's kinda a noisey operation could be much quieter ) and cutoff the bright red headlamp that i used to guide myself the 1mile to this area. Took a drink out of my hot canteen and satdown and waited for the next 50mins.

Now for the fun part, right at civil sunlight, I was growing tired of sitting in one position and trying to fight the cold and the wind. I move my aching & cramped leg and happen step on a stick/twig and it crack.

Then in a split of a second, a brown object behind & down wind of me, jumped up scarying the Be-jeeeze-ses out of me, startle and ran away , very similiar to what you expect a startle cottontail todo. It was a deer and let me say it had plenty of points and was 100% legal for taking. This deer was less than 10 no make that 7yrds behind me in a clump of bush grass bedded down. was it their when I arrive? don't know or did it arrive shortly after I got to the spot ? don't know.

But I can tell you that if I had some breakfast that morning, I would have left a dark stain in my drawers. :(

I bet that buck is online posting in his huntertalk forum forum, saying " Hey did yo know a hunter scared the hell out of me this morning and almost came within sitting on me? )
;f

well good night, my alarm clock just went off again for the same time hat I had it set for sunday AM.

BlackBelt
12-27-2004, 09:13
"BUSTED"
I can't tell you how many times that has happened to me.
Dang deer...
You gotta remember that you are in their 'house'. Lot's of times they know when you are there, just like you know when someone is in your house.
Just keep at it. Eventually the odds will fall in your favor. BTW, only 12% of hunters get their deer in any one year.
A couple of months ago, I opened a package of Teddy Grahams snacks while on stand, and when I crinkled the package to open it, two deer shot out from UNDERNEATH my stand, blowing and snorting, flags up, running like the wind. I didn't even realize that they had come up from behind me. They were so quiet, they got right under me!!!
Anyway, that's why they call it 'hunting'.
When I set up to hunt on the ground, I move all twigs and anything that goes snap,crackle,pop, from my immediate vicinity. And do that when you first get there, not later after everything has settled down. Count on 20-30 minutes for the woods to return to normal after your arrival. Do all your moving and clearing in the first 3-5 minutes, and it will be less disruptive to nature. And I also try to set up behind some bushes or a fallen log if possible. If you are prone to leg cramps, make sure your stool is high enough to allow your knees to be bent at no less than a 90 degree angle. I have found that a 'buckwing' groundblind/umbrella from Wal-Mart helps if you are sitting low to the ground and have to move. It hides your movement from deer or turkey.
I also use a Steady Stix bipod to lessen gun movement when hunting from the ground. It keeps my muzzle at the right level, so the only movement that I make when I see is a deer is dropping my head to the stock.
Just keep it up. You are obviously doing something right, or that deer wouldn't have been that close to you.

MarkCO
12-27-2004, 17:02
Elk hunting near Buena Vista, CO about 6 or 7 years back I set up on a well used game trail. About 9am along comes a doe deer on the trail. She stepped over my outstretched legs like they were just logs. Two more does followed suit. The 4 point mulie buck trailing them about 30 feet approched rather cautiously. Looking at me very carefully. He made a 10 foot half-circle to avoid stepping over me and watched my legs the whole time. When they were about 20 feet down the trail, I snapped my fingers once and they all stopped and turned and stared at me for about 3 minutes. Then they turned and walked away. Most amazing thing I have seen in over 20 years of hunting. Of course my deer tag was already filled. I had some brush on either side of me with my rifle set up so I could point down the trail about 150 yards with less than 2 inches of movement and my revolver set up so that I could use it up the trail for about 50 yards. The next day I took a nice 6x5 bull on the same trail. He never even looked at me.

CanyonMan
12-27-2004, 21:01
Don't feel to bad my friend, as you know, this happens to all of us...

Just "one" of my many blunders, was a cold Oklahoma winter, when i was bow hunting. I was sitting on an old log, when the sun barely came up, i was freezing to death to the max. i did not bring my gloves, and so i put my hands in my coverall pockets, (real deep), and the bow was across my lap, (real smart)... anyway, i felt something 'staring at me', just one of those "feelings." I sorta twisted around real slow, and looked behind me, and there stood a huge prarie buck, with a doe beside him, standing about 20 yards behind me just staring at me, as i tried to get my hands out of my pockets, (which i could not do, i think my watch or something was caught in there), they took of like a scared jack rabbit.

Got a million of those....

Part of the sport i guess. :)

You'll get him next time!

CanyonMan

TenMillimeter
12-27-2004, 22:01
I had a very similar experience happen about 20 years ago. I had a home made climbing stand (bad idea, and another story in itself). I walked in to my spot about 2 hours before daybreak. I assembled the stand around a tree, stepped on, and proceeded to climb the tree. About 15' up, I heard a deer get up almost immediately underneath me and crash away. It couldn't have been 10' away from me as I assembled the stand. Needless to say, it scared the crap out of me, expecially in the dark.

noway
12-27-2004, 22:27
{When I set up to hunt on the ground, I move all twigs and anything that goes snap,crackle,pop, from my immediate vicinity.]

normally I do this when I hunt the oak hammock, I clear all acrons & leaves away in a 6ft circle. I guess that morning I miss some.

Yeap I wish things would have changed that morning. I need a Florida buck real bad.

noway
12-27-2004, 22:28
{Needless to say, it scared the crap out of me, expecially in the dark.}

I know the feeling. When that deer took off, my heart skipped about 2 beats. It really did freak me out.

Lethal Farce
12-28-2004, 22:46
Hunted a stand near the road Saturday. Stuffing the keys into my pocket I must have hit the panic button, the truck honked till I could turn it off. No deer in sight that morning.
LF

Big B
12-29-2004, 15:46
At least you've seen a buck within shooting range. I have yet to do that this season. It has to be twice as hard to hunt deer in Florida as compared to a state like Texas or Alabama. The herd densities are so low around this state it really seems quite difficult.

SLing438
12-31-2004, 08:47
Dude, don't be hard on yourself. I didn't get one either. While scouting & trimming trees for my stand, I spooked over a dozen. I even had a shot at a buck running at a full charge about 50 yards away. I passed thinking he would stop when he got to a creek. Dumb, he made a left turn, straight into the woods.

Last year, I got my first. I foolishly and arrogantly told everyone that "when" I got one this year, I would use a handgun next year to make it "more challengling". Hah!!

One thing that hunting teaches is sportsmanship. That means the deer win sometimes.

Steve