Gold Plated Network cables worth the extra money! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Gold Plated Network cables worth the extra money!

Viper_Audio
12-27-2004, 19:48
I went to Best Buy in search of a basic 25' network cable for a home network. Normally, I would order such things online, but it's not worth it for just 1 cable.

All Best Buy had were the "Category 6" ULTRA HIGH SPEED cables with Gold Plated contacts and "double" thick sheilded insulation. These 25' cables are $38.99 for the love of god!

To my suprise, people with their new gift cards were ripping them from the shelves, for their new networks or home computers they got.

I ask an employee... Where are the "standard" network cables (that work just as good?) He says they can only get the PREMIUM cables during the holidays! Shocking!

Do home computer users (most people) really believe the $40 gold network cables have some benefit over the standard Cat 5 cables? Or are they just completely unaware there are cables out there for 1/2 the price?

Bill

lomfs24
12-27-2004, 20:20
I think people are caught up in the buying frenzy and they just bought a computer and/or router and they have to get a cable. Those are the only ones on the shelf and...well... they buy them. Doesn't cost them anything, they got a Gift Card. I'll bet if you tore one apart aside from the super thin layer of gold they would not be much different from the standard cables. Just a lot more money.

lomfs24
12-27-2004, 20:21
Aside from that, I don't have anything good to day about Best Buy.

MikeG22
12-28-2004, 00:38
Most are probably just unaware of what is out there. They get a router and a new computer and someone tells them to look for a network cable or 2 to be able to use them. They don't know what the various category's of cable are or that basic cat5 utp cable would be fine. They later curse all network cables as being expensive. Luckily we have good alternatives to best buy for all that kind of stuff, but I've needed one once or twice and had to buy one there and you have no other option. I wonder how much more best buy makes on cables like that over some normal ones.

SomeGuyInAHat
12-28-2004, 00:47
When I worked for CompUSA, we sold an a**load of computer/monitor/printer bundles, and nearly all required the purchase of a USB cable. Since my team was paid on margin, we stopped selling the Belkin standard USB cables and started substituting the "Gold" USB cables. They were $5-10 more than the regular cables (which were, of course $10 more than they were worth) and only cost the store another $0.50-1.00. In the first quarter of the "Gold" program, we realized an extra 20% gross margin on the accessories/cables subcategory.

My guess is that all of the regular network cables were in the warehouse, boxed up and out of sight.

Angel Of Death
12-28-2004, 07:43
What people don't realize is that regular cat5 cables are all they need. Why?

Because copper conducts better than gold!

It's true.

Gold is only used because it doesn't corrode.

I can't think of a situation inside the house where any cable of mine has EVER corroded, necessitating a corrosion proof gold connector!

DeadMansLife
12-28-2004, 15:42
Originally posted by Angel Of Death
What people don't realize is that regular cat5 cables are all they need. Why?

Because copper conducts better than gold!

It's true.

Gold is only used because it doesn't corrode.

I can't think of a situation inside the house where any cable of mine has EVER corroded, necessitating a corrosion proof gold connector!

^6

Copper cat5 is all you need.

12-28-2004, 16:09
These 25' cables are $38.99 for the love of god!

And they are only 38 cents at cost. No need for gold plated ethernet cables. Traces in CPUs and motherboards though....