Gamers! I need some advice on video card [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Gamers! I need some advice on video card

2kflhr
12-27-2004, 20:00
First off, I have an almost 15 yr. old that is into gaming, typically playing shooter games and rpg games (his definition). He (my son) has a Compaq Presario (my mistake) that originally came with an 64mb. integrated extreme graphics card. We upgraded it to a 128mb. Nvidia PCI card. At first it was sufficient, now he is having problems with the games playing slow. He said it is due to only having a 128mb. card. He found that Best-Buy has a 256mb. ATI Radion (PCI card)on sale. I was thinking awhile back I talked to someone at a somputer store and they said that a 256mb would probably play no better that a 128mb as long as it was a PCI card. To really benefit from 256mb. you need a AGP card.

What are your views on this?

There is a local computer supply/repair center that can replace the board (mother board, I Guess) so it will accept a AGP card.

Is this wise?

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dennis

NetNinja
12-27-2004, 22:51
Boy you have opened up a can of worms when you said your son is really into games.

Just like cars how fast you want to go and how much you have?

I believe if you do a search here in this tech forum on Motherboards you should get most of your answers.

It is easier to give birth than to resurect.

Better off buying a new system or building one.

fastvfr
12-28-2004, 01:02
NetNinja hit the nail on the head.

That Internet PC will never be a decent gaming PC. In fact, with AV and spyware apps using resources the way they do, it is only marginal for use as a Web box!

You can get into a decent PC for less than you might expect. A $2000 Alienware Gamer's PC can be built by you at home for far less than $1000.

$80 - Asus P4P800SE motherboard w/ onboard sound card.

$150 - 2.4C Penmtium 4 Processor, retail w/heatsink.

$110 - Decent Antec case w/400w power supply.

$130 - Two 512MB sticks of Kingston Value RAM, PC3200.

$100 - 120GB hard drive.

$30 - CD-ROM drive.

$50 - CD-RW/DVD-ROM drive.

$175 - nVidia GeForce 6600GT Video Card.

$75 - OEM copy of XP Pro (Purchase WITH the other gear!)

The total comes to $900, or roughly $1K if you need a new monitor, keyboard, and optical mouse to go with it. I'm betting that sum is quite a bit less than you paid for the Compaq...

You might find it advantageous to keep that little Presorryo around to surf the Web with, and when it is networked into the real PC, it can double as a print server and a Web hub, too.

This is really cool if you have a broadband connection, but it will work nicely enough with dialup as well.

Or, you could sell the old one to help finance the new one!

Good luck!

troyboy30
12-28-2004, 07:46
hope you dont want to run doom3 or hl2 with the pc above! lol

SnooseGoose
12-28-2004, 12:44
Acutally Hl2 will run flawlessly on that machine, it is well above the minimum specs. Doom 3 will run just fine as well as long as you don't try to run in ultra high quality.

SG.

2kflhr
12-28-2004, 19:37
Thanks for the info.

I talked to a computer supply/repair center today, she said they could replace the main board so it will accept a AGP for about $200 ($80-100 for the board, about $80 labor). She said he will never get much out of a PCI as opposed to a AGP. I'm trying to keep the cost down as reasonable as possible and still meet his needs. I'm sure he'll be hitting me up for a Laptop before to long.

He plays Delta-Force, Final Fantsasy, Warcraft, and just started Star Wars.

He has a 2003 vintage Compaq Presario with:
P4 (2.4GHz)
2.4GHz
512MB ram

fastvfr
12-29-2004, 06:35
Originally posted by troyboy30
hope you dont want to run doom3 or hl2 with the pc above! lol

Actually, I have built a few dozen machines with those parts in the past year, and they'll play those games as well as (or better than) my sig rig!

Granted, the 2.4C sounds slow in theory, but they are almost always 2.6GHz+ CPU's that have been locked at a lower multi to meet the market demand for 2.4's.

Which means they overclock like mad. But even w/o any OCing, that machine will play any game out there at 1024x768 and good IQ with a better-than-decent framerate.

Substitute a 3.2C proc and a 6800GT vid card in that recipe and what do you wind up with? A gaming rig that is more powerful than those most gamers are currently using, right?

You can spend more, but for the moment you really do not need to.

And 2kflhr, you could order that Asus board I suggested and transfer everything over to it yourself for less than $100. You could have the whole enchilada, AGP card and all, for under the price they quoted you for just the MOBO.

If you can change the spark plug on your lawnmower, then you can install a motherboard. Trust me...Asus boards come with an excellent QuickStart manual, so you should be fine.

Though that OEM power supply might not have the cojones needed to power a faster system, it might be OK for a while.

troyboy30
12-29-2004, 09:27
i'll stick with my 3.6 mhz and x800xt, i prefer playing maxed out.

Darkmage
12-29-2004, 13:31
I would definitely bite the bullet and replace the mainboard. PCI is well on its way to becoming a legacy interface for graphics cards. AGP and now PCI Express are most of the graphics card market right now. And with good reason.

Surely you can find a local geek to do the work for your son's computer instead of forking over $200?