Reading books vs. listening to books on tape [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Reading books vs. listening to books on tape

RWBlue
12-28-2004, 09:25
I have more information that I need to read for my job than I can actually read. So when I am finished with the information I have to read, I really donít want to ďreadĒ anything.

So I have started listening to books on tape.

How many others feel this way or are listening (not reading) books?
When people talk (or on this forum) about reading this or reading that, do I need to specify that I listened to it?

DonGlock26
12-29-2004, 12:42
I commute about 1+ hour a day and I have listened to LOTR and a big library tape set on the civil war. It's a great way to pass time in a car-IMHO.

G33
12-29-2004, 12:44
I used to read a bunch!
Now I listen on tape/CD.
I can do other things as I listen or not.
Enjoy!

Another19
12-29-2004, 22:44
I've tried books on tape/cd, but just couldn't get into it. I think it was because when I'm reading dialogue I "hear" a character's voice the way I think it should sound and with the inflection I think it should have. Also, the pace of the reader isn't necessarily what I find appropriate. When I'm reading an intense scene I tend to read faster and clutch the book, and when I'm reading a serene scene I slow down and relax.

I wish I could get into it, it would make long drives more enjoyable.

saspic
01-01-2005, 00:18
For classics and epic tomes, I think it's better if you can avoid it. Nonetheless, when my local video store used to rent books on tape, I did just for fun listen to some cheesy books I never would have read, like an Ann Rice mummy story.
Then there are some people who are more like performance artists. Their books are better on tape than paper. I'm thinking specifically of Sarah Vowell and David Sedaris, who actually tours the country doing readings at theaters.

MrMurphy
01-01-2005, 08:35
The people on tape read too slow and put me to sleep.

I read 400 pages a day on most days, I'll stick with reading.

Hummer
01-10-2005, 11:20
I get a lot more satisfaction from reading but listening to books on tape is a great way to occupy the mind while driving on long trips. We often drive to the Phoenix area (10 hours one way) or to a family cabin on the Front Range (5 hours one way). Listening to an exciting novel on tape that is well read can make a big difference in reducing fatigue and can dramatically cut the perceived time enroute.

Before a trip we check out tapes from the public library --there's a huge selection and they're free! We usually get one or two more tapes than we have time to listen to in case one happens to be poorly read or otherwise is something we don't care to hear. Books that are read fast can be hard to follow when traffic gets heavier and when road conditions require more concentration we just turn the tape off for a while.

Tapes give us an opportunity to sample authors we might not be familiar with. One of the best tapes I've listened to recently was The DaVinci Code, a fantastic story and exceptionally well read. We especially like detective stories/murder mysteries and Louis L'Amour are great too. Listening to tapes seems to make a long trip fly by in no time.

Hummer

Drjones
01-10-2005, 12:56
For some reason, it doesn't feel like the writing sinks in fully when I'm only listening to it as opposed to actually reading it.

My $0.02.

Spyder Teeth
01-20-2005, 11:43
As a premium member at Audible.com I'm entitled to download any two titles per month. As it turns out, this is plenty as I still physically read books also. But the Audible.com stuff comes in really handy because it fills the role of driving time killer. I'm able to get a lot of stuff "read" that I wouldn't otherwise be able to.

One thing I've found out, the narrator can make or break an otherwise decent book. Use the "preview" feature before downloading a book. Cheers.

mac66
01-28-2005, 15:12
I commute a couple hours every day so books on tape/CD are a great way of "reading" stuff that I don't have time to. Both the library in the city I live in and the one I work in have BOT/CDs that I can borrow.

Someone gave me the Da Vinci Code on CD. Not something I was particulary interested in reading but I did enjoy listening to it in the car.

One thing I like to do is to borrow classics that I kind of skipped through in high school and college. Stuff by Melville, Dickens, Dumas, Fitzgerald, Hemmingway etc. Not all the time but once in awhile.

glkdawg45
01-29-2005, 16:43
I still like to read, but audio books are very nice for the 1-2 hours of rush(slow) hour traffic. You would be surprised at the number of people I see, trying to read(books,newspapers,laptop screens)while trying to drive.

Butterfly
01-30-2005, 17:27
I tried it once when I took a long road trip and had a hard time focusing on the dialog. My attention was more on the people who donít know how to drive and what was going on around me. I just ended up buying the book and reading it.

Drjones
01-31-2005, 14:55
Originally posted by Butterfly
I tried it once when I took a long road trip and had a hard time focusing on the dialog. My attention was more on the people who donít know how to drive and what was going on around me. I just ended up buying the book and reading it.

Yeah.

I would think that trying to really focus on an audiobook while driving would be a lot like having a cell phone conversation while driving - dangerous.

Tvov
02-03-2005, 07:08
How many audio books are actually the whole book? It would seem to me that most are "condensed" versions.

We've listened to books on long drives with the kids. It is interesting and passes the time. My wife also reads books to the kids while I am driving. It is not easy reading out loud for 4+ hours!

Spyder Teeth
02-03-2005, 18:45
Not all are condensed (or abridged). Some authors won't allow their work to be abridged. Stephen King is one such author.

Jack23
02-13-2005, 11:08
I don't care much for the audio tapes. Some how the readers voice always seems to interfere with my imagination. And it really grinds my gears when a woman is reading and she lowers her voice in a feeble and irritating attempt to sound masculine as she reads lines of male dialog.

I'd rather just read it for myself.

Drjones
02-14-2005, 12:35
Originally posted by MrMurphy
The people on tape read too slow and put me to sleep.

I read 400 pages a day on most days, I'll stick with reading.

Ok, how the heck do you read so much? Do you read really quickly, or do you have tons of time on your hands?

How long does it take you to read 400 pages?

Short Cut
03-24-2005, 21:03
Ok, I'm probably behind the times, but I just finished listening to my first audio book. The book was To America by Stephen Ambrose. It was a collection of a variety of American History topics delivered in a storytelling fashion. I found it very interesting and mentally stimulating.

Like many of you I listened most while I was driving. Something I may have done differently though is that I used an iPod to store all 9 CDs. This worked out pretty slick because I didn't have to change CDs in the car as the iPod is installed so that it plays through the car's stereo.

The book was divided up into 171 "songs" each of which was about 2-4 minutes long for a total of 9.7 hours. This worked out well because if I became distracted I could just back up to the begining of the song. I guess it's like that if you listen on CD too.

I think this genre of book works well on audio because there isn't multiple characters. Anyway, I really enjoyed the experience because I'm on the road a lot and it was a nice change of pace from talk radio or music. A couple of times I brought the iPod into a restaurant when I was eating alone which was also an interesting way to pass the time.

Although this first book came from the public library they didn't have a very big selection of books on CD, they mostly had books on tape. I need the CD version to load on the computer and iPod.

For my next book I joined www.simplyaudiobooks.com as a free trial member and if it works out for me I'll join their audio book rental service for $19.95 per month. It operates pretty much like net flix.

UtahIrishman
03-25-2005, 00:00
My wife listens to books on tape all of the time, while I do not. I think it is partially a matter of taste. She has a part time job doing data entry. She will put on her head phones and tippity-tap away and listen at the same time. I can rarely do that. I simply don't find it that enjoyable, but she likes it.

Right now she's listening to the first book of The Wheel Of Time By Robert Jordan (uncondensed) I figure it's going to take her a couple of months just to get through the first book. But she's having fun which is what counts.

jason10mm
03-25-2005, 05:20
Originally posted by Drjones
Yeah.

I would think that trying to really focus on an audiobook while driving would be a lot like having a cell phone conversation while driving - dangerous.

Does this mean that you don't talk to your passengers or listen to the radio when you drive? :P

I find audio books to be pretty non-distracting, mainly because you don't talk back to it. I usually rent a bunch for every long car trip. I'd like to get some of the old radio dramas, but the library hasn't picked them up yet. The BBC LOTR radio play is really good except for the god-aweful imp playing the hobbits.

Spyder Teeth
04-05-2005, 14:47
Reading On The Job Turns Catfish Farm Workers Into Bookworms (http://freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1178265/posts)

McGlockerson
04-28-2005, 12:27
I like my physics books in print but other than that my entire collection is in audio. I am dyslexic and have trouble reading and these things make all the difference in the world. I can say I easily have 400+ audio books. Actually I have been ripping some to PC so that I can listen to them on my ipod. I have also been thinking about starting my own forum where people can exchange ripped audio books because they have become so outrageous to buy, would any of you use something like that?

Short Cut
04-28-2005, 12:51
Originally posted by McGlockerson
I can say I easily have 400+ audio books. Actually I have been ripping some to PC so that I can listen to them on my ipod. I have also been thinking about starting my own forum where people can exchange ripped audio books because they have become so outrageous to buy, would any of you use something like that?

I've become totally hooked to listening to audiobooks on my ipod. I listen in the car because I do a lot of driving. It certainly has made my drive time much more productive.

Currently I'm using http://www.simplyaudiobooks.com/ It costs $19.95 per month at it's lowest priced entry level. This level sends me two books at a time in a postage paid return envelope then when they receive a book back from me they ship the next one on my list that is available. It is a convenient sevice, however I may move up to a higher and costlier level to get 3 or 4 books at a time because two at a time isn't keeping up with my listening habits.

Each book that I rent I load on my computer. I'm really new at this, but I guess I could copy these books onto CDs and participate in an exchange forum.

McGlockerson
04-28-2005, 12:55
Originally posted by Short Cut
I've become totally hooked to listening to audiobooks on my ipod. I listen in the car because I do a lot of driving. It certainly has made my drive time much more productive.

Currently I'm using http://www.simplyaudiobooks.com/ It costs $19.95 per month at it's lowest priced entry level. This level sends me two books at a time in a postage paid return envelope then when they receive a book back from me they ship the next one on my list that is available. It is a convenient sevice, however I may move up to a higher and costlier level to get 3 or 4 books at a time because two at a time isn't keeping up with my listening habits.

Each book that I rent I load on my computer. I'm really new at this, but I guess I could copy these books onto CDs and participate in an exchange forum.

Would you be willing to trade some of the rips you have for new books?

Short Cut
04-28-2005, 13:03
Would you be willing to trade some of the rips you have for new books?

Yeah, but that doesn't sound like a very good trade for the other guy. I was thinking more along the lines of swapping copies for copies. Although the rental service is working pretty well for me now and I'd have to continue participating in that to build up a library anyways.

Besides having a large library, another thing that's nice about simply audio books is their searchable database which allows searches by category, keyword and author.

McGlockerson
04-28-2005, 13:32
Yeah, but that doesn't sound like a very good trade for the other guy. I was thinking more along the lines of swapping copies for copies. Although the rental service is working pretty well for me now and I'd have to continue participating in that to build up a library anyways.

Besides having a large library, another thing that's nice about simply audio books is their searchable database which allows searches by category, keyword and author.

Whats your email address so I can use you as my referrer

Short Cut
04-28-2005, 14:29
so I can use you as my referrer

I'm not sure what you mean by this? Upon reflection, I don't think it would be proper or legal to copy books and trade them with others. Think I'll just stick with the rental company I'm using. Thanks for your offer, though.

McGlockerson
04-28-2005, 14:31
I'm not sure what you mean by this? Upon reflection, I don't think it would be proper or legal to copy books and trade them with others. Think I'll just stick with the rental company I'm using. Thanks for your offer, though.

I am joining the rental service, they want the person who refered me to them's email address. I guess you get points or something, just trying to help you out.

Short Cut
04-28-2005, 14:40
;J oh

I appreciate your offer, but no thank you.

mac66
05-02-2005, 10:03
Just listened to 'An American Solidier' by Gen. Tommy Franks. Pretty interesting autobiography that was read by the author.

Another good one that I listened to a long time ago was the autobiography (I think it was called 'An American Life')of Ronald Reagan which was read by him. While the book is a classic, having it read by the gipper himself is a treasure.

If you get a chance listen to or read 'What I saw at the Revolution" written by and read by Peggy Noonan. An excellent view of the Reagan Revolution and a good companion book to Reagan's autobiography.

Currently listening to the book 'To the Last Man' (about WWI) by Jeff Shaara. He wrote the prequil(Gods and Generals) and sequil (The Last Full Measure) to Killer Angels which was written by his dad. He also wrote a pair of excellent novels about the revolutionary war ('Rise To Rebellion' and 'The Glorious Cause'.) All of those books are excellent on audio.

Short Cut
05-02-2005, 11:07
Originally posted by mac66
Another good one that I listened to a long time ago was the autobiography (I think it was called 'An American Life')of Ronald Reagan which was read by him. While the book is a classic, having it read by the gipper himself is a treasure.

I just finished this book last week. With Reagan reading it, this book is one that I can honestly say was better as an audio book than it was as a written book. The only thing I wished for with this book was for it to be longer. ;?

mac66
05-05-2005, 10:13
I think autobiographys on audio that are read by the author have a tendency to be better than the written version. Of course the problem with audio is that you don't get the pictures, maps etc. Colin Powell's autobiography is another good autobiography read by him.