Dropped an E cylinder...... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Dropped an E cylinder......

DaleGribble
12-28-2004, 22:00
So me and my partner had just wheeled this guy into Trauma One and we're briefing the ER staff when I start unbuckling the straps on the stretcher. I unbuckled all the buckles and started untangling the IV tubing from the guys arm when all of a sudden I hear this "clunk". My ass puckered up so tight that it would have strangled a straight pin.

I slammed my eyes shut as soon as I heard it. I said an instant prayer and waited to hear some really bad stuff. Like the screams of a legless nurse or the sound of steel ripping through the walls. When I heard the doc hollering my name I was actually relived at hearing that.

The bad part, I had the head end when we were wheeling the guy in, so I knew he was on O2 because there was a NRB on his face and I could hear the O2, so I knew that the tank was on the stretcher somewhere. I just didn't think about it when I was unbuckling the straps. The tank and the pt were covered with a blanket, so I never saw the tank, and I think that's why it slipped my mind.

Everybody was cool about it. My partner tried to take some of the blame because he didn't tell me exactly where the tank was on the stretcher, but I shot that down real quick, simply because I knew it was there so I should have looked for it.

The doc was cool to. He said not to sweat it, he wouldn't talk to the director about it since I had apologized. I told our director about it anyway, and she was cool with it. She just told me to be more careful.

Moral of the story, watch those cylinders!!

hotpig
12-29-2004, 09:07
Why would anyone tell the Director if nothing happened? Have you ever watched the guys that deliver the O2 tanks? They are a lot harder on them than any EMS crew would be.

glockster96
12-29-2004, 11:56
I've done that exact thing a couple of times. It truely is super pucker factor time. ;G

pizzaaguy
12-29-2004, 13:09
YUP...dropped one on a training exercise once! ;Q

If your stretcher doesn't have an O2 bottle holder,
put it between the patients legs while in transit
to and from the rig. That might help.

DepChief
12-29-2004, 21:37
Look at the bright side, you didn't drop the patient!

DaleGribble
12-30-2004, 03:35
Originally posted by pizzaaguy
YUP...dropped one on a training exercise once! ;Q

If your stretcher doesn't have an O2 bottle holder,
put it between the patients legs while in transit
to and from the rig. That might help.

That's what usually happens, but this guy was strapped to a LSB.

Slinger646
12-30-2004, 10:54
Ive always wanted to strap one to a skate board and knock the top off w/ a rubber hammer;g

lomfs24
12-30-2004, 11:08
Originally posted by hotpig
Why would anyone tell the Director if nothing happened? Have you ever watched the guys that deliver the O2 tanks? They are a lot harder on them than any EMS crew would be.

I was at a Dive party last night and they were showing clips of their recent dive in Cazamel Mexico. They were filming at the dock where they were loading the boat. The Mexicans were throwing the dive bottles from the dock to a guy in the boat. I am sure this is not a PADI approved way of handling bottles.

Glkster19
12-30-2004, 15:48
I haven't dropped a tank yet, however, did something to cause an even increased pucker factor. Back in the old days, we had an old regulator that was on a spare tank that got grabbed before taking a pt into the ER. It was an old spin type regulator, the kind where you spin out the knob to increase and turn it in to shut it off. This knob was about an inch in diameter and 2-3 inches long. Solid metal so it weighed a little bit. Anyways, took a critical pt into ER and me being the rookie that I was started cranking the knob to what I thought was off and after a bit of turning the damn thing shot off the regulator, across the room an just about popped the nurse on the other side of the bed. Drilled the wall at who knows how fast. Talk about feeling bad. I apologized about a 1,000 times to the nurse and even more to the boss that happened to be working that day. That regulator was soon taken out of service, even as a back up as the boss seen first hand just how much safer the newer one's were.

To this day, O2 tanks/regulators receive the utmost respect from me.

DaleGribble
12-30-2004, 19:52
Originally posted by Slinger646
Ive always wanted to strap one to a skate board and knock the top off w/ a rubber hammer;g

I've contemplated something similiar. I wonder how much distance one could achieve by launching a full E cylinder out of a piece of pvc pipe, Howitzer style! ;f

GlocknSpiehl
01-07-2005, 04:25
Was at the station once a lonnnnggggg time ago when they were changing out a G (?) cylander on an ambulance. Ever see 20 people hit the floor at once when they hear that unforgetable "CLANG!"?

CAcop
01-26-2005, 22:06
Originally posted by DaleGribble
I've contemplated something similiar. I wonder how much distance one could achieve by launching a full E cylinder out of a piece of pvc pipe, Howitzer style! ;f

The IRA made "motars" this way from what I read once. Except theirs had explosive tips too.

mdnky
02-01-2005, 22:16
Originally posted by Slinger646

I bought a bunch of green sewer pipe to fashion some holders for our D cylinders in the ambulance bay...never did make the holders. Many a shifts a few of us contemplated trying to make a motor with one. None of us had the guts to try it out though, tempting as it may have been.

lomfs24
02-01-2005, 22:26
I knew guys who worked in a lumber mill in Oregon who would take empty O2 welding bottles, knock the tops off and skip them across the log pond.