Where are all the dead animals? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Where are all the dead animals?

mpol777
12-29-2004, 02:24
This is so true. If you've seen the videos it's the people who head down to the beach when the water recedes 200 yards. The critters know enough to get the hell out of dodge. Same thing with wildfires out here. The moral of the story... If you see an exodus of animals running away from something, run with them.

Where are all the dead animals? Sri Lanka asks

COLOMBO, Dec 29 (Reuters) - Sri Lankan wildlife officials are stunned -- the worst tsunami in memory has killed around 22,000 people along the Indian Ocean island's coast, but they can't find any dead animals.

Giant waves washed floodwaters up to 3 km (2 miles) inland at Yala National Park in the ravaged southeast, Sri Lanka's biggest wildlife reserve and home to hundreds of wild elephants and several leopards.

"The strange thing is we haven't recorded any dead animals," H.D. Ratnayake, deputy director of the national Wildlife Department, told Reuters on Wednesday.

"No elephants are dead, not even a dead hare or rabbit," he added. "I think animals can sense disaster. They have a sixth sense. They know when things are happening."

At least 40 tourists, including nine Japanese, were drowned.

The tsunami was triggered by an earthquake in the Indian Ocean on Sunday, which sent waves up to 5-metres (15-feet) high crashing onto Sri Lanka's southern, eastern and northern seaboard, flooding whole towns and villages, destroying hotels and causing widespread destruction.

CanyonMan
12-29-2004, 17:32
Well, hate to see ya sit here all alone like this, so i'll jump in for a minute.

Your right, the wild life has the built in ability to sense something is goin down, so they, "get outta Dodge."

There is of course, always a few that are burned up in forest fires, (not every one makes it out as we know)... but, for the most part, yeah, they know something is happening..

As for this "tsunami " deal... this really is strange. As many humans as they have found dead, (i think the count is up to 40/60 K now, and not find any dead animals.. weird. They (the animals there), are either really in tune with the built in radar, or else there ain't any animals in that place!

***Edit note*** I just watched the "Tsunami" report on the t.v. It was up to 80K dead, and thousands more missing, and more than that dying of diseases. This is truly a very terrible and tragic event. The crazy thing, to me here, is this, there were stations, even in Alaska, that saw this Happening, (as it was unfolding), and said there was no one to call! The first island hit by a tidal wave and smashed to bits... called no one else to warn them, Governments are saying ther was /is not, a reliable warning system for 'that part' of the world... But, there is for the west coast US...! "Hey Why could they not call the US embassy on one of these places, or even a local Police dept.??"... common sense! This is really crazy.

The 'animals' do seem smarter. As Charlie Gibson said on the t.v. tonight, They are baffled at the fact they cannot find a dead animal there!? When they are smater than us.. something is wrong here!

As you said my man.."The moral of the story... If you see an exodus of animals running away from something, run with them.

I think you got something there.

CanyonMan