Who wants a GMail invite? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Who wants a GMail invite?


Jtemple
12-29-2004, 11:33
Send me a PM with your email address - I have 15 invitations to give away.

Jtemple
12-29-2004, 14:03
1 invitation given away - 14 left.

Paradigm
12-29-2004, 14:28
At the beginning invites were selling for $50 on eBay, now you can't give them away (literally ;f ).

I've got some too if anyone needs one after Jtemple runs out.

Sinister Angel
12-29-2004, 14:50
I've got a few.

lomfs24
12-29-2004, 17:44
I haven't been to my GMail account for a while but I am sure I got a few too.

Jtemple
12-30-2004, 08:53
Another one given away. 13 left.

grantglock
12-30-2004, 11:41
i have 6 to give

jlw_84
12-30-2004, 12:27
I'd like one.

Jeremy@OhioGlockers.com

lomfs24
12-30-2004, 12:34
Originally posted by jlw_84
I'd like one.

Jeremy@OhioGlockers.com

Invite sent.

btoler
12-30-2004, 12:44
I'll take one. Thanks

Jtemple
12-30-2004, 14:06
Originally posted by btoler
I'll take one. Thanks
Sent! 12 left.

geoffinak
12-31-2004, 07:55
Might want to read the TOS for using this mail, gets a little personal.
Geoff

mfackler
12-31-2004, 10:11
I'll try one please. PM sent

Thanks

Paradigm
12-31-2004, 10:24
Originally posted by geoffinak
Might want to read the TOS for using this mail, gets a little personal.
Geoff No more personal than any other e-mail service that has Spam Blockers.

There's no one reading your G-mail messages, just computers scanning for words so they know what type of advertising to provide for you. If you talk about watches in an e-mail you'll have watch ads on the side.

That's the same thing as the other e-mail services which have Spam Blockers, the computers search thru your e-mails for terms like "Vicidin, cheap drugs, male enhancement" etc.

geoffinak
12-31-2004, 21:44
Originally posted by Paradigm
No more personal than any other e-mail service that has Spam Blockers.

There's no one reading your G-mail messages, just computers scanning for words so they know what type of advertising to provide for you. If you talk about watches in an e-mail you'll have watch ads on the side.

That's the same thing as the other e-mail services which have Spam Blockers, the computers search thru your e-mails for terms like "Vicidin, cheap drugs, male enhancement" etc.

Your giving them rights to go a little deeper then just sending ad information, if your happy with that, cool.

Geoff

Paradigm
12-31-2004, 21:56
Originally posted by geoffinak
Your giving them rights to go a little deeper then just sending ad information, if your happy with that, cool.

Geoff Maybe you can show this, please?

I'd really like to know all this secret stuff, I'd like to see how Gmail is different than 90% of every other e-mail service. I think the entire forum would enjoy hearing this, thanks!

Jtemple
01-02-2005, 11:31
Invitation sent! 11 remaining.

Jtemple
01-02-2005, 11:36
I write software for a living. I have written spam blocking code in the past.

Yes, there are algorithms in GMail (and every other capable spam filter) that read your email.

Email is not a secure messaging system by any means. It doesn't matter if you have a spam blocker that reads your email or not. People that administer the email servers that you use, no matter what kind of email account you have, have full access to read your email, whether you like it or not.

If you really are that paranoid, don your tinfoil hat, and hand deliver every message you write. That's the only way to be certain that someone doesn't have access to your messsage. Unless, of course, the room is bugged where you deliver your message...

Jtemple
01-02-2005, 11:37
Another one down! 10 left.

Jtemple
01-02-2005, 11:38
9 left.

Jtemple
01-02-2005, 11:39
8 left.

Jtemple
01-02-2005, 11:40
7 left.

Jtemple
01-02-2005, 11:42
6 left.

Paradigm
01-02-2005, 11:44
http://glocktalk.com/images/edit.gif

Jtemple
01-03-2005, 20:18
One more sent!

I just got some more invites, so I have more left than I originally thought.

I'll just post here when they're all gone.

One person is unable to receive my invitations on his/her Hotmail account. I have heard that Hotmail is blocking GMail invitations in a lame attempt to keep people using Hotmail. Is there any truth to that?

Paradigm
01-03-2005, 20:20
Look in your sent mail folder, you'll see the invite e-mail. In that e-mail will be a link, copy that link and PM it to the person with the Hotmail account.

I don't know if that story about Hotmail is true, if it is I would be more than pissed off at Hotmail.

Jtemple
01-04-2005, 10:54
Good info to have. Thank you.

And for the GMail naysayers, I have news for you.

Every email service in existence has unfettered access to your email. If they really wanted to use it for unscrupulous reasons, they certainly wouldn't tell you about it.

If you want real security, don't use email.

Jtemple
01-05-2005, 20:13
I sent a couple more out. Keep the requests coming!

SamBuca
01-05-2005, 21:35
When you run out, I have 9 left ;)

I have to say that Gmail is very nice for webmail. Beyond all the BS hype, it runs very well and the spam algorithms they have are very accurate.

Paradigm
01-05-2005, 21:41
IMO the best part of GMail is the way it puts consecutive e-mails in a thread, it really helps. As an example, I am selling things on eBay. Instead of having e-mails splatered all over the place, I have threads for each person that contacts me. When I want to go back and review it I can read the whole conversation nice and easily.

SamBuca
01-05-2005, 21:43
Originally posted by Paradigm
IMO the best part of GMail is the way it puts consecutive e-mails in a thread, it really helps. As an example, I am selling things on eBay. Instead of having e-mails splatered all over the place, I have threads for each person that contacts me. When I want to go back and review it I can read the whole conversation nice and easily.

Ditto. I'm on a lot of nerdy mailing lists...instead of having Thunderbird sort through them, I send them all to my Gmail account now and have the filters label them for me. I like how it does date slipping, too. Threads with new replies go to the top and are bold again.

allhowl
01-06-2005, 05:51
I'd like one if available. Thanks in advance.:)

David_G17
01-06-2005, 09:37
Originally posted by Jtemple

Email is not a secure messaging system by any means. It doesn't matter if you have a spam blocker that reads your email or not. People that administer the email servers that you use, no matter what kind of email account you have, have full access to read your email, whether you like it or not.


PGP or GPG ;)

10 Ring Tao
01-06-2005, 19:15
I waited around, and regret doing so. Gmail is the best online email service so far, and they're still tweeking it.

What I find funny is that Gmail beats most PAID email services.

After reading some nay-saying I looked into it, and it sounds like those getting their panties in a wad over Gmail are just ill-informed about email in general and doing a chicken little act.

frefoo
01-06-2005, 20:47
I also have 6 to give away. PM me if you want one.

Jtemple
01-09-2005, 09:41
I still have invites to give away.

Maxthemutt
01-09-2005, 17:38
Thanks Jtemple, just got mine. :) ;c ;c ;c