which brand scope? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : which brand scope?

gunnin_em_down
12-29-2004, 12:35
i'm am buying a new scope for my marlin 30-30. i am buying it from midwayusa.com. the 2 i'm considering are a Bushnell Sportsman 4x32 for $33.99. Or a BSA Deer Hunter Scope 4x32 for 25.99. the eye relief is the same on both. i'm a college kid on a pretty small budget, so are either of these worth buying? if so which one is the better deal? the reviews of both were all really good... thanks

josh

noway
12-29-2004, 12:49
I would take the Bushnell over the BSA anyday of the week or for about 30-50 more, look for a good Nikon on ebay. The 2 models mention are cheap but they are good economical scopes. Alot people would rather pay suggest you pay 500 dollars for a scope that costs more than the rifle it's attached to, but theses 2 model will work, but not as good as topend scopes.

I would also look into the warranty from the mfg on the 2 models to see the duration, but other than that go with the one that you like the most. They for the most part, are pretty equal to each other.

Big B
12-29-2004, 14:38
Between the two scopes you mentioned I would definately go with the Bushnell.

StockGlock23
12-29-2004, 19:01
Bushnell...no question.

BillK@tcmhmrs.o
12-30-2004, 13:11
I've got a 4x Bushnell Sportsman on a 22 rifle - holds a zero, seems accurate and optics are OK.

CanyonMan
12-30-2004, 21:49
Bushnell, Nikon, even a good quality redfield.

On that 30-30, as the guys have said.. Bushnell is fine.
I had a cheap Bushnell on a 6mm remington once years ago, and it stayed in tune year after year, no problems. Just a suggestion though, i would 'bump up a bit' from the $33.00 one to about $90.00 for a 30-30. The extra few bucks is worth it.

They seem to hold up a tad better, and give better clarity, and fog proof protection, than the less expencive ones. MHO.

CanyonMan

f1b32oPTic
01-02-2005, 09:50
bushnell elite 4200

they have been getting great reviews at opticstalk.com and my own personal experience has been top notch

i have the 2.5x-10x model and took 2 of my deer this season at lowlight and it was like looking at a tv screen...the light was amplified and the picture through my scope was a heck of alot brighter than my own eyesight at that hour.

the doe that i killed last week came in as a red blurry shadow but when i put the scope on her i could really make out her facial features and could see the grain of her cape.

the 4200 series uses a true one piece scope tube and is made of titanium alloy and the lenses are top quality japanese glass. for about $450 you can have a damn good scope

WalterGA
01-02-2005, 12:11
Originally posted by f1b32oPTic
bushnell elite 4200

they have been getting great reviews at opticstalk.com and my own personal experience has been top notch

i have the 2.5x-10x model and took 2 of my deer this season at lowlight and it was like looking at a tv screen...the light was amplified and the picture through my scope was a heck of alot brighter than my own eyesight at that hour.

the doe that i killed last week came in as a red blurry shadow but when i put the scope on her i could really make out her facial features and could see the grain of her cape.

the 4200 series uses a true one piece scope tube and is made of titanium alloy and the lenses are top quality japanese glass. for about $450 you can have a damn good scope

Exactly the answer he was looking for. :)

f1b32oPTic
01-02-2005, 14:51
Originally posted by WalterGA
Exactly the answer he was looking for. :)

i dont read, i post

gunnin_em_down
01-02-2005, 19:48
incase you didn't read it the first time, i'm a BROKE college kid. the gun only cost $300. there is no chance i'm gonna pay $450 for a scope when it's gonna be on a gun that can only shoot out to 150yards. i really am not looking to spend over $50... what is a "good" scope in that price range?

thanks

BigMadDog
01-02-2005, 20:59
If you are really broke you might want to consider not getting the 30-30 and picking up the savage package deal at walmart. It is 360 Dollars comes with pre mounted and bore sighted scope that is acually pretty decent all things considered. Im not sure if it comes in a 30-30 but i know for sure it comes in 30-06 and 308 which in my opinion are both cheaper and better rounds then a 30-30. One thing you might want to keep in mind is after you buy the scope you need rings to mount ect. All this costs extra money. If you buy the package deal all you have to do is zero the gun and its ready to go. Also everyone loves the accutrigger and most people say the savage is the most accurate low end rifle outta the box around. As for your question it is most definately the bushnell scope. :)

BigMadDog
01-02-2005, 21:06
I lied the new version is 415 but it is nice for a first long rifle. Check it out at http://www.undercutgunsales.com/11FXP4&111FXO4ACCU.htm

f1b32oPTic
01-02-2005, 21:16
Originally posted by gunnin_em_down
i really am not looking to spend over $50... what is a "good" scope in that price range?

thanks

the fact of the matter is that there are not any good $50 scopes for high powered rifles.

if you are planning on hunting with this gun you may want to plan on spending atleast $100 on a scope.

the problem with cheaper scopes lies in the fact that they just cannot hold their zero after multiple rounds of highpowered rifle cartridges. ive seen it myself on my friends gun that he had an inexpensive simmons on. after about 8 shots the groups would completely move out of a 6" circle at 100 yards.

here is the thing, you have about 9 months before another hunting season so just save a couple extra dollars for a $100 scope, in the long run you will thank yourself and in the mean while you can shoot with your iron sights.

im not trying to be an optics snob or anything im just giving you an honest answer about $50 scopes on highpowered guns that recoil...you could put that scope on a .22 and shoot all year without really having to worry about straying zero and it would probably serve you fine.

anyhoo my opinion and 2 cents, good luck on topping off your 30-30

gunnin_em_down
01-04-2005, 18:06
yeah youre probably right... that gun is mainly just a brush gun for camping. i'm saving my money now for a 7mm mag for a deer/elk rifle. is there a good scope i could put on my 30-30 for now and then mount it on the 7mm mag when i get the money?

f1b32oPTic
01-04-2005, 19:07
well i would put on a $150 simmons aetec..ive got one and actually just got back from shooting wiht it and it was decently bright in lowlight. we were shooting swingers in the woods and the target was hard to see with the shadows but the scope did brighten things up fairly well. in my opinion it is the best $150 scope on the market as far as fit and finish and lens coatings go.

it will probably do just fine on both your guns.

here it is at midway
http://www.midwayusa.com/rewriteaproduct/246144

gunnin_em_down
01-04-2005, 20:01
thanks, i guess i'd better start saving up!

mpol777
01-04-2005, 23:16
Look through the classifieds for old steel tube Weaver K4 and K6 models. They should run between $50-$100. These are very tough scopes with decent glass.