Help Me Decide [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Help Me Decide

BigMadDog
12-29-2004, 13:49
Ok I know i want a savage with the accutrigger but im trying to decided which caliber i want it in. Im thinking 30-06 or 308. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

Big B
12-29-2004, 15:42
What will it be used for? If you are going to use it to hunt I would go with the 30.06. There really is not a better all around hunting caliber. If you are going to use the rifle for mostly target shooting and some hunting I would go with the .308. Slightly less recoil and cheaper ammo make the .308 a better choice for taget shooting.

BigMadDog
12-29-2004, 19:48
Lets throw the 300 wsm into the mix as well since savage makes the rifle in all three for the same price.

Hunterjbb
12-30-2004, 16:49
Hunting, you just can't beat the versatility of the 06.. you can buy ammo just about anywhere in a variety also..

but depending on what your going to shoot it at.. for paper punching you may wish to consider the .223,.243 or something similar just cause of the lesser recoil and cheaper bullets etc..

good luck, i've been looking at the Savage and maybe a Remington CDL in .270.. haven't decided yet.

Jeff.

Weston
12-31-2004, 06:44
Originally posted by Big B
What will it be used for? If you are going to use it to hunt I would go with the 30.06. There really is not a better all around hunting caliber. If you are going to use the rifle for mostly target shooting and some hunting I would go with the .308. Slightly less recoil and cheaper ammo make the .308 a better choice for taget shooting.

ditto.

much respect for the 30-06. still have a '03 with iron sites and its pleasure to admire and periodically shoot at the range. but for antiquity sake i would certainly hunt with the thing but its an over statement with deer in the northeast and poses quite a challenge in places like the the rockies. if i had just one rifle it would be the 300 winchester magnum. similar but flatter/longer capability. much attention being given to the shorter casings these days but my 300 has proven itself light/fast enough time and time again. one of my cousins from texas would say his one choice would be his 7 mm mag. now that I think about it another would select his 80 lbs compound bow. and i can think of several friends that might defer to the .308 or .223 in one form or another. but for hunting it really depends on what/how/where you plan to hunt.

BigMadDog
01-02-2005, 13:45
I plan on hunting elk and deer in the Southern Utah Mountains (Beaver & Cedar City Area) I also plan on doing some coyotes as well. Basically im completely undecided but I have the money burning a hole threw my pocket. Right now its a complete toss up between 30-06/300WSM 300 7MM. Savage makes all of these guns for the same price and the come with a bore sited scope. The whole package runs about 450 bucks at Walmart, it includes the rifle, scope and accutrigger. The gun would kinda be a project gun that as I get more money i would put a choate stock and Harris BiPod on. I would also like to be accurate out to about 500 yards if possible. The scope it comes with is upgraded for 2005 from the standard one that both savage and remmington put on thier guns last year. Any Ideas or suggestion?

Hunterjbb
01-02-2005, 14:45
the last three will certainly fill the bill for elk. However for deer they may just be a tad more then you want..specially in the recoil arena.. The 300 and 7mm are older cartridges and have a good selection of loads from the factories. I don't know much about the 300wsm, The 06 can do them all including Coyote with a 110 gr varmit bullet.. Out to 500 yds.. well i've heard the Savages are pretty darn accurate but can't comment specifically..

I'm sort of in the same fix as your in i'm looking for a new rifle..and i'm taking a close look at the savages, also Tikka's T3 and Howa's, but i'm looking at a .270 or maybe the .270wsm..

good luck.

BigMadDog
01-02-2005, 16:47
I have never heard anyone complain about a savage and I hear nothing but good things about the accutrigger. I might buy the 30-06 just because it seems to be a good round. Does anyone around here have experance with the Win 300 or 300 WSM?

Weston
01-03-2005, 07:23
Originally posted by Hunterjbb
the last three will certainly fill the bill for elk. However for deer they may just be a tad more then you want..specially in the recoil arena.. The 300 and 7mm are older cartridges and have a good selection of loads from the factories. I don't know much about the 300wsm, The 06 can do them all including Coyote with a 110 gr varmit bullet.. Out to 500 yds.. well i've heard the Savages are pretty darn accurate but can't comment specifically..

I'm sort of in the same fix as your in i'm looking for a new rifle..and i'm taking a close look at the savages, also Tikka's T3 and Howa's, but i'm looking at a .270 or maybe the .270wsm..

good luck.

you might also look at cv while your in the hunt. a friend purchased one in 22 wmr. impressive rifle. competitive price. not sure what else they make but i'm thinking about one in 22 hornet.