I'm trying to help my son [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : I'm trying to help my son


Generalcarry
12-29-2004, 15:25
My son has just bought his employer’s business. He has asked me to help set up a web page for the company. I’ve been looking into building web sites (total neophyte- here) and thought it may be better to have a site professionally built. The business has been in existence since 1991, has established clientele, and I’m afraid I may do a real “Mickey Mouse” job technically speaking.
What would you advise? How much $ am I talking about?
Thanks…

lomfs24
12-29-2004, 16:22
Originally posted by Generalcarry
My son has just bought his employer’s business. He has asked me to help set up a web page for the company. I’ve been looking into building web sites (total neophyte- here) and thought it may be better to have a site professionally built. The business has been in existence since 1991, has established clientele, and I’m afraid I may do a real “Mickey Mouse” job technically speaking.
What would you advise? How much $ am I talking about?
Thanks…

If by Mickey Mouse you mean using FrontPage then yes that could happen. If you are new to web design I would certainly seek a professionals help. I started down the web design path and realized that there was too much to learn and too many people who have FrontPage and don't care. Then again it depends on what you want to do with your page. If it is mostly and information page you can dress it up and make it look pretty good on your own. But if you are planning on selling stuff from it or have more difficult programming then I would certainly seek a pro's help.

How much is directly related to who you have do it, what is on it, and what you are planning to do with it. If it is straight HTML it shouldn't cost that much. If you are planning a shopping cart, database, server side scripting, Java, Flash etc... the price will no doubt go up.

The best thing to do is find a professional who is not afraid to show you a portfolio pick the one that has work most consistent with what you want and then sit down and discuss details, programing and price.

Last thing we need is another poorly constructed, hard to read and use website. No offense intended. :)

Gambino
01-02-2005, 12:58
I am the webmaster for our Sheriff's Department website, http://www.wynecoso.org . We decided to develope a site in May of 2004. We had no knowledge of webdesign so we talked to several local design companies. We settled on gratrgraphics. Gary is the guy that does the design stuff and he is excellent.

I had no webdesign experience and Gary has taught me a great deal. He has several clients listed on his website for reference. I highly recomend him.


http://www.gratrgraphics.com

AAshooter
01-02-2005, 13:04
You need to think carefully about the role of a web site in your business. What are you expecting it to do?

For example, if your clients are unlikely to use a web page or you simply need some informational items posted, then doing it yourself is not out of the question. However, if you are expecting to do transactions over the internet and have it play a larger role, than professional help is probably needed.

If you can define what you are trying to accomplish with the website, the quality of the advice you get here will be much more useful.

grantglock
01-03-2005, 07:58
Originally posted by Gambino
I am the webmaster for our Sheriff's Department website, http://www.wynecoso.org . We decided to develope a site in May of 2004. We had no knowledge of webdesign so we talked to several local design companies. We settled on gratrgraphics. Gary is the guy that does the design stuff and he is excellent.

I had no webdesign experience and Gary has taught me a great deal. He has several clients listed on his website for reference. I highly recomend him.


http://www.gratrgraphics.com

no offense but those don't look professional; they are about $50 websites. Not $50 an hour but $50.

Generalcarry
01-03-2005, 12:40
I guess I didn’t give out enough information. My son’s business is in waterproofing basements. He has contracts for a number of condominium and apartment complexes. He is looking to broaden his base and I thought since I’m retired, I could give him as much of my time as I can. I’m willing to help in any way I can but my knowledge is limited. I’m just looking for a place (there are so many it’s confusing) that can walk me through the technical aspect of web page construction. I have a strong background in design, but not using the computer as the vehicle.
Thank You for any and all ideas.

MikeG22
01-03-2005, 17:07
Originally posted by grantglock
no offense but those don't look professional; they are about $50 websites. Not $50 an hour but $50.

Couldn't view the sheriff's website but the designers itself is pretty weak.