Deer Size in Your Area [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Deer Size in Your Area

WalterGA
12-30-2004, 11:52
Was just noticing pics in our local weekly paper of three deer that were killed this past week. 230#; 210#; and 190#. Seems like pretty decently-sized deer to me. How does this compare with your area of the world??

lomfs24
12-30-2004, 11:58
There were two old ranchers one day talking about the size of their ranches. One old farmer said I start driving at sun up and finally reach the other side of the ranch at sun down.

The other old rancher leaned back in his chair and tipped his hat back and said "Yeah, I used to have a pickup like that but I sold it."

I would suppose that deer stories are told the same way.

However, it took two of us to load my muley this year. I don't know what he weighed in the field.

noway
12-30-2004, 12:24
I'm assuming you mean viginia white-tail & undresss, so here a 230# deer would be unheard of in South Florida. I would bet under 150# would be the norm and more like under 100lb.

I've seen a few deer that would be lucky to tip 70# with gut and fur on.;f

WalterGA
12-30-2004, 12:28
Yeah, these are Whitetails, in-the-field, I'm sure. We get some pretty big bucks down heah on Tobaccy Road, due to the availability of crops for deer to eat. 30 yrs ago, we had no deer.(well, not many, anyhow) Now they're like pests.

mpol777
12-30-2004, 12:30
A big mulie in most of AZ is around the 200lb mark. Up in the Kiabab they get goofy big. Not sure of a weight, but when you look at them you stare like this. ;g The white tail top out at the 180lb mark as far as I've seen. Cous deer are tiny. Like a big dog with longer legs. 100lb maybe. I've only seen them on the hoof a few times.

BillK@tcmhmrs.o
12-30-2004, 14:08
Around here in South East Texas they're dressing out 120-150# this year from what 4 of my buds have taken...

Hunterjbb
12-30-2004, 16:44
those number walter are a bit on the Big side for most anywhere in the country.. I know VA has some big deer but most don't go that high I think even the Game commision web pages states the avg, see below.

I hunted in PA most of my life and very rarely did you see a deer go 200 even in the field.. I think my biggest went maybe 170-180 undressed..

From the VA Game commision web page.
Male fawns weigh about 65 pounds live weight.
Yearling bucks in Virginia average about 110-115 pounds, and yearling females are 10 to 15 pounds less.
Adult males (> 2-1/2 years-of-age) average about 145 pounds live weight and adult females are about 25 to 30 pounds lighter.
Two hundred-pound dressed weight deer are very rare in Virginia.

So those be some big deer your reading about..

Jeff.

CanyonMan
12-30-2004, 23:04
lomfs24, said

There were two old ranchers one day talking about the size of their ranches. One old farmer said I start driving at sun up and finally reach the other side of the ranch at sun down.The other old rancher leaned back in his chair and tipped his hat back and said "Yeah, I used to have a pickup like that but I sold it."

LOL.. That's a good one.

Well, Walter, in 'this part' of Tx. they are like a German Shepard with a rack on them!

Back home, in the pandhandle of NW Oklahoma, we get some really big bucks in the canyons on the ranch there, 'dressed out' at 180, and 225, 'is not uncommon' at all, and have heavy beams. The food source is usually milo/alphafa/ winter wheat, and the soil minerail content is absolutely perfect in our area for really big bucks. And there are plenty of them. As i was telling Noway one day, the whitetails there enter breed with the mule deer in that part of the state in those canyons and sage hills, and produce some really fine deer.

CanyonMan

vafish
12-31-2004, 08:12
Originally posted by noway

I've seen a few deer that would be lucky to tip 70# with gut and fur on.;f

My dad shot one of those this year while visiting us. They sure taste good.

paynter2
12-31-2004, 15:44
Where I grew up (N WI), local bars would all have a 'buck board' during season. You bring your (dressed) buck in and weight it and become eligible for a prize. Usually, small, average, and large buck would share the total. Back then, the average buck was in the 145# area. 20 years later, the average fell to about 120#. This, I believe, is the result of family farms being sold into 20-40 acre plots and seeded with trailer houses.

I shot 3 bucks while in high school that dressed over 200#. I could never win 'big buck'. About 15 miles from where I lived, some farm friends would always bring in something in the 240# class (dressed).

A 220-250# buck is not unusual where I now live (N MN). Certainly, not everybody gets one this big, but I see them every year in the back of pickup trucks.

An old gent I used to know killed a buck that weighed 386# dressed. When he told me that I thought he was full of it. So, I checked out the old Wisconsin Conservation Bulletins in my university library... There was a story in a 1938 or 1938 issue that mentioned it. The record at that time was 408# (from NY).

minnshooter
01-01-2005, 20:08
My nine point Minnesota buck went 200# field dressed. He had a big body on him but not a huge rack. We were figuring him to be 4-5 years old. It seems like we get a lot more big-bodied bucks than big-antlered bucks. I think it has something to do with being on a high grain diet, lots of corn in the area.

stk10767
01-01-2005, 21:09
Here in NJ, a doe usually is less than 100lbs, more like 60-80lbs. A BIG buck weighs in at around 150lbs dressed.

CodeBlue23
01-01-2005, 22:42
Eastern North Carolina

Mature buck - 160-170
Mature doe - 100-110

isp2605
01-02-2005, 07:13
See the attached pix. While not common these are certainly not rare. 20+ point bucks are common in west central IL. Largest I saw killed this yr was 33 point and heard of a 48 point. Dressed weights of a nice size buck will be 240+. Largest I've seen topped right at 300 dressed. According to BuckMasters they predict in the next 5 yrs the record whitetail will come out of west central IL which is the area between the Illinois and Mississippi Rivers. Several reasons for the large deer. That area is rolling timber river area. Lots of livestock and grain farms in the area so the deer are on full feed and eat what cattle eat. Fairly mild winters. A lot of game management. Leased hunting is a major industry in west central IL. 1 week bow hunts go in the neighborhood of $5000/wk, and there's a waiting list. Land prices have shot up. 20 yrs ago you could buy the bottom timber ground for $200/acre and there was a lot of it for sale. It wasn't good for farming. Then lease hunting and big bucks took hold. Now that $200/acre ground is going for $2000-$3000/acre, when you can find it for sale.

isp2605
01-02-2005, 07:15
Here's a 32 pt, altho the body wasn't as heavy as "dabuck".

isp2605
01-02-2005, 07:16
Here's another one from last yr, along with the story from the local paper.