fat32 partition size limit? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : fat32 partition size limit?

lomfs24
12-30-2004, 16:55
I have a machine that have two drives in. One drive for Linux and one for Windows of course dual booting. I just bought a third 200GB drive for storage. I want to format it using fat32 so that it can be accessed by both Windows and Linux. Is there a size limit on a partition size for fat32?

Cryptoboy
12-30-2004, 18:30
If I recall correctly, FAT32 partitions size limits were around 1 TB (terabyte). So you should be fine with that. (FAT16 on the other hand was limited to 2.1GB)

pyblood
12-30-2004, 18:31
Originally posted by lomfs24
I have a machine that have two drives in. One drive for Linux and one for Windows of course dual booting. I just bought a third 200GB drive for storage. I want to format it using fat32 so that it can be accessed by both Windows and Linux. Is there a size limit on a partition size for fat32?

If I am correct, the size limit is 137GB. You can cut it in half and have 2 100GB partitions, and Windows will recognize both as 100GB.

12-30-2004, 20:40
Depends on which version of FAT32 you are using to partition with. If try to use FAT32 that comes with Win2K or WinXP it will force you to partition using NTFS once you hit about 36Gb. If you have an older Win98 SE bootdisk, you can partition FAT32 well in excess of 1Tb.

lomfs24
12-31-2004, 16:37
Well I tried to partition it and format it with XP Home. If I used the graphical mode it would only let me create an NTFS partition no matter what size I made it. So I went to the command line and with a 100 GB partition it said it was too large to format. So I got PO'd, rebooted into Linux created a 200GB FAT32 partition and created a file system. Now windows and linux both see it as a 200GB drive.

Now the only problem I have is that when it automounts in linux it mounts as root as owner and group and it won't let me change it. That means I can't do anything with it in linux. I am not battling with that.

Specks
01-03-2005, 14:53
You should be able to edit your /etc/fstab file under linux to allow users other than root to mount the partition and change the owner and permissions.

For example, I have a 2GB Fat32 partition that I use to share between Linux and WinXP. The line in my fstab file is as follows:

/dev/hda2 /data/winXPshare vfat user,uid=bsb23,gid=users,fmask=002,conv=auto 0 2

/dev/hda2 - the hdd/partition I want to mount
/data/winXPshare - where I want it mounted to
vfat - the file system
user - allows non root users to mount it
uid=bsb23 - sets the owner of the files to bsb23
gid=users - sets the group of the files to users
fmask=002 - sets the default permissions for the files
conv=auto - deals with MS-DOS text format vs. UNIX text format
0 1 - deals with file system checks at boot etc.

check out the man pages for fstab and mount by typing: 'man fstab' or 'man mount' from a command line.

Don't give up too easily. :)

lomfs24
01-03-2005, 15:02
I just re-read my last post and I wrote "I am not dealing with that." When what I meant to saw was "I am now dealing with that."

Specks, thanks for the reply. I have changed some stuff in the fstab file to make it boot and mount the way I want it to. I made it the right owner etc...

The only thing that I really wanted was to make belong to the right user so I could mount it and have it writable to both me as a linux user and to the Samba server so that Windows machines could see it to. But still have it available to the Windows part of the machine when I do a dual boot.

I there are still a couple of kinks to work out but it is actually working like it is supposed to.

Thanks again everyone.