Floppy for a DVD burner? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Floppy for a DVD burner?

Zoolander
12-31-2004, 00:34
I never use my 1.44 MB floppy diskette drive anymore.

Can I unplug the floppy drive and use the same connections for a new DVD burner?

Easy question but I'm just a noob.

grenadier
12-31-2004, 00:47
You can only do this if your floppy drive is a USB-based one, and if you replace it with an external DVD burner that uses the USB interface.

If you're using an internal floppy drive, the general answer is "no." The floppy drive uses a 34 pin interface that will only attach to a similar 34 pin connector, whereas internal DVD burners use the 40 pin IDE interface.

There is an ever so slight chance, though, that you could do a direct swap, if your floppy drive is one of the Super250 drives that actually went on the IDE ports instead, but these drives are so rare, that it's pretty much a given that you don't have one.

Zoolander
12-31-2004, 01:05
Originally posted by grenadier
You can only do this if your floppy drive is a USB-based one, and if you replace it with an external DVD burner that uses the USB interface.

Nope, it's internal.

If you're using an internal floppy drive, the general answer is "no." The floppy drive uses a 34 pin interface that will only attach to a similar 34 pin connector, whereas internal DVD burners use the 40 pin IDE interface.

Damn, that sucks. Too bad.

There is an ever so slight chance, though, that you could do a direct swap, if your floppy drive is one of the Super250 drives that actually went on the IDE ports instead, but these drives are so rare, that it's pretty much a given that you don't have one.

I don't. My stuff is all cheapy grade.

Thanks for answering though.