Pedometers? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Pedometers?

mossy500camo
01-01-2005, 11:27
Im going to whupp myself back into shape by Walking and getting back on my bike.

I need a good Pedometer for walking for distance etc. Whats a good and accurate pedometer?

AWMP
01-05-2005, 10:26
Consumer Reports had an article on them not too long ago. Been in last few months, sorry could not help more.
AW

Dr. Slots
01-05-2005, 21:04
I picked up one at Wal-Mart a few months back, made by Omron. Cost me somewhere between $20 and $25. You program your height, weight and length of stride into it and it will give you a rough idea of calories burned. Counts your steps and also gives you a mileage readout. It also has a feature that will tell you how many of your steps were aerobic. Also has a seven day memory.

Found this in the pharmacy section by the blood pressure meters.

mossy500camo
01-05-2005, 21:32
Originally posted by Dr. Slots
I picked up one at Wal-Mart a few months back, made by Omron. Cost me somewhere between $20 and $25. You program your height, weight and length of stride into it and it will give you a rough idea of calories burned. Counts your steps and also gives you a mileage readout. It also has a feature that will tell you how many of your steps were aerobic. Also has a seven day memory.

Found this in the pharmacy section by the blood pressure meters.

I believe thats the same brand that I was looking at. So it's fairly accurate? :) Wow! Are all Wal Marts set up the same?;P

ps
Thanks for the info.

Dr. Slots
01-05-2005, 23:52
Mossy;

I believe it is as accurate as can be for the money.

The only problem I have noticed is that when I put it on in the morning, and I miss getting the clip situated correctly, and I repeat the motion several times until I succeed; it adds a few steps. No big deal, as I don't consider this a precision lab grade device.

I really like the aerobic steps feature, as a heart attack survivor aerobic exercise is essential to my well being, now I have way to chart my progress....or lack of :(

It is a great motivational tool; you will see what you have done, and you will try to do more.

Good Luck
Mike

modgun
01-06-2005, 00:50
Congrats with your decision and GOOD LUCK.
It can be done.
Years ago I was in good shape. Exercised pretty regularly. Position at work kept me pretty active.

Then reg exercise got less and less, and job got less active...I was never obese, but needed to change. At 5'10, 230 was too much for me.

About 6 months ago I started walking. Only .5-.75 mi to start. But I tried very hard to do it 5-6 days a week.

Now Im up to a walk/jog 4-6 miles 6 days a week. Anywhere from 1-2 hours or so depending on intensity.

I have lost about 35+lbs (230ish down to 190 or so)and will lose maybe 20 more. I only weigh myself once a week or even every other week. More time inbetween means more loss to see each time which means more motivation. Every day checking means seeing little to no loss at a time, while checking every week or two and seeing 4, 5, or 6 pounds is much more satisfying.

Get something that tells you how many calories definetly. When you realize that it takes like an hour of running or 2 hours of walking to burn off a big mac (or any decent dinner) you WILL change your eating habits.

The best thing is that when you do want to make a pig of yourself you can without too much worry. I cant wait until Im at 2-3 hours a day of running, I could eat prime rib and mashed potatoes 3 meals a day!

mossy500camo
01-06-2005, 11:41
Ok Thanks for the info. You guys helped me alot.:)