Sound/Volume Leveling [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Sound/Volume Leveling

Gecko10
01-02-2005, 17:04
I'm making some "Favorites" CD's, burning different tracks from various, digital sources (purchased and downloaded music). I'm using Roxio's CD & DVD Creator V6.

Is there some simple software out there that will allow me to adjust (level) the sound/volume of the many different tracts I'm using?

Most of the stuff I've looked at looks very complicated.

sdakota
01-02-2005, 17:21
I found a really good free one called Mp3Gain at http://mp3gain.sourceforge.net/

I found it very easy to use, plus the way it levels the volume is much smarter than the other apps I waded through. Most of them just clip off the loudest sounds, but this one analyzes the entire song and adjusts everything accordingly. It tries to adjust the volume based on how loud it sounds to the human ear.
The changes can be easily backed out if you choose.
There's also a feature to adjust the tracks of an album so the same volume relative to the album is preserved.

Just follow these steps:
1. Select the files you want using the "Add Files" button.
2. Run "Track Analysis" to check each files volume.
3. Run "Track Gain" to change them all to the level you choose as the "target normal volume".

Let me know if you would like more info.

Hope this helps !

Gecko10
01-02-2005, 18:30
Originally posted by sdakota
I found a really good free one called Mp3Gain at http://mp3gain.sourceforge.net/

Thanks sdakota!! I'll check it out and I am sure will have more questions.

I assume it will work on other formats like .cda or .wma?

Gecko10
01-02-2005, 18:51
Looks like I will have to convert everything to MP3. No big deal as I'm just getting started on this "winter" project.

sdakota
01-08-2005, 00:20
Originally posted by Gecko10
I assume it will work on other formats like .cda or .wma?

Gecko, I'm sorry, I didn't see your last question there.
I didn't mean to ignore ya !

As you discovered, it looks like no WMA support there.

There are many WMA-to-MP3 converters (some are free), but I have no experience with them.

In my opinion, MP3 is a better protocol than WMA anyway.
If nothing else, at least MP3 isn't owned by Microsoft !

Best of luck !