How do I access System Restore without the tool bar [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : How do I access System Restore without the tool bar

popnfresh
01-02-2005, 18:59
I was disabling services 1 by 1, doing a restart after each to make sure the service wasn't needed. The last one was needed, some things no longer work :no tool bar, search, etc. now I cant get the service restarted. I have no tool bar for start/programs/accessories/systemtools/system restore.

In task manager, I can do "run": services.msc but when I hit "properties" for the service I want to turn on , the "properties" don't show so I can enable them.

It seems my only option is a system restore to a point earlier today(a point I created for this reason, now I can't get to it) so is there a shortcut or "run" command or even the location would be helpful, I can't find it anywhere.

I googled and can't find any info on it

westwindmike
01-02-2005, 19:05
Would hitting the "Windows" key on your keyboard help you get there? Just a thought.

btoler
01-02-2005, 20:01
do a shutdown the computer then power back up and hit F10? If that one don't work try other hot keys on my HP with indows Xp F10 kicksyou into system restore.

Anon1
01-03-2005, 06:59
Be careful, if you do what the last post mentioned you will likely removed all data from the machine and put it back to "out-of-the-box" condition as it came from the factory.

fatlander
01-03-2005, 10:04
a similar thing happened to me, i killed the explorer.

try this: boot in a safe mode with a command promt (F8 during boot) and type:
%SystemRoot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

where %SystemRoot% is your windows directory

popnfresh
01-03-2005, 19:49
Thanks for the help but system restore doesn't work either, it must be off also.

It says "System Restore is not able to protect your computer. Please restart your computer, and then run system restore again." keeps giving me this same message.

The one item I disabled(RPC, IIRC, I can't remember now) also turn off other services just as I was warned;Q.

I went to the blackviper (http://blackviper.com)
site and found the default services registry key and installed it but that didn't work either. I may go through the registry and manually turn on all the services.