Copy one HD to new HD in new computer? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Copy one HD to new HD in new computer?

Soujurn
01-03-2005, 16:18
My brother is buying a computer (I couldnt talk him into building one), and wants to transfer all the softwre off of his old 10GB hard drive to the new 160GB hard drive in his new machine he is considering.

I said it is easy if you have network cards in both machines, you can just use a crossover cable and have the new PC access the old PC.

New PC will have XP Home SP2, old machine is Win98SE.

Do-able?

Let me know how you'd do it.

Edited to add: Opening the new machine is not an option so I cannot just stick the old HD in the new case.

MikeG22
01-03-2005, 17:04
Software is not going to be simply drag and drop. His Word files and data like that will be able to be copied like that. But for any programs you are going to need the original CD's and do a clean install on the new system. No other good way to do it.

Soujurn
01-03-2005, 22:15
Progress made so far. I'll give him one of my LAN cards and will go over and install it in his old computer. Then I will set up a direct connection using the Network Connection Wizard in XP.
Then I'll share the old hard drive.
This should solve it unless someone has a better easier idea.
He went and bought a eMachine T3256 at Best Buy.

SamBuca
01-03-2005, 22:52
Need more info.

Does he want to copy EVERYTHING and just use the 160gig drive or does he want to network the machines together to share data? You're describing both scenarios.

But if you want my nerdy opinion...I'll assume it's WinXP. I'd format the new drive, put both hard drives in a Linux box, mount the NTFS volumes (bypasses the security), and copy it....then put the 160gig into the new machine. WinXP will detect the hardware.

fastvfr
01-04-2005, 00:05
An EMachine. Oh Joy. If he wants to speed things up it is a simple matter of installing a gig of PC3200...the last Athlon XP EMachine I had to work on had house brand PC2100 in it, with 3-5-5-12 timings. What a pooch. I ripped out that glacial RAM and instead used a 1GB stick of PC3200 I had laying around to tech it, and it tripled in speed.

Though I suppose if he was going from an old PC with just a 10GB HDD it probably sported a 500MHz proc, so he'll be doing much better with a 3200+. The RAM is usually the performance bottleneck on those PC's.

At least it is an XP and not a damn Duron or something. Those aren't even decent paperweights! Semprons are a >little< better...

Back on topic: Is there some reason why you don't want to just Slave in the 10GB drive?!

That way any of the apps he had installed on the old machine would just need a shortcut on the new desktop to the .exe for them to work.

Cryptoboy
01-04-2005, 07:48
Originally posted by MikeG22
Software is not going to be simply drag and drop. His Word files and data like that will be able to be copied like that. But for any programs you are going to need the original CD's and do a clean install on the new system. No other good way to do it.

;j What he said!

And quite frankly Soujurn, if you didn't know this in the first place you shouldn't be recommending that anyone build their own machine! Some of the older software might work, but most of the newer software requires that the software be reinstalled in a new OS.

MB-G26
01-05-2005, 04:34
http://www.glocktalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=277803
Methods discussed in prior threads
http://www.glocktalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=180587&highlight=freeware

"Transferring old programs to new computer"

http://www.glocktalk.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=2877885&highlight=freeware#post2877885

"Can you transer files via USB?"

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Maybe look at a different option as mentioned in the threads below on related subject matter:
(http://www.glocktalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=222159&highlight=cable+and+transfer%2A)

"Thread: Moving programs among drives? "
----------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.glocktalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=222159&highlight=cable+and+transfer%2A

Thread: "Transferring old programs to new computer"

Might be something helpful in those.
m

grenadier
01-05-2005, 13:51
Originally posted by MikeG22

True for the most part, but there are a few programs that do not need the registry entries, and can be migrated over.

fastvfr
01-05-2005, 14:24
WTF?!

When you Slave a HDD into a PC, with its OS intact, the applications installed there nearly always work simply by creating shortcuts to the .exe's on the new Desktop, or opening the old OS's desktop and clicking the shortcut there.

I thought more people were aware of that....

I do this sort of thing several times a week. Most every time I install a larger HDD, in fact...this allows people to have a backup OS ready to go oin the old drive should the new, larger drive fail.

And of the hundreds of times I have done this, I can only think of two or three proggies that didn't work under this system.

erikd65
01-05-2005, 17:01
If you want to copy the entire hard drive and boot from it, you will need to use a utility such as Ghost etc.

Alex_Knight
01-06-2005, 09:48
Ditto.

Ghost it.

:)

Wulfenite
01-06-2005, 11:45
I got a new Western Digital HD a couple months ago. The new drive came with some software that allowed me to transfer the whole shebang over. I just connected both drives up, set the jumpers according to the directions, and then followed the directions on the software.

MikeG22
01-06-2005, 13:29
Ghost would be fine (theoretically) but he's got win98 on the old machine. You do not want to run that on any new machine. Not to mention the crapfit 98 would throw when you first tried to boot and all the hardware is completly different. Probably wouldn't even boot.

IF you want the computer to run nice and stable, copy the data over and install the programs you need. If you just plugged his old hard-drive in as a slave, even if the programs worked it's gonna be slower as the bus will resort to the speed of the lowest speed device on the bus and his old HD is likely much slower and will be bad for speed. Just do it right if you don't wanna be constantly fixing weird issues later on.