Racking the slide [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Racking the slide

pluvo
01-03-2005, 17:18
My wife has a hard time racking the slide on any of my autos.

Do any of you ladies (or girly men ;)) have any tips or tricks I can share with her?

MrsKitty
01-03-2005, 17:24
Does she use a lot of hand lotion?

Even when you think it is all absorbed, it can still interfere with your grip more than you think ;)

MrMurphy
01-03-2005, 22:03
Push-pull. Assuming she's righty, push the frame away from you with the "gun hand" and pull back simultaneously with the left hand on the slide.

This'll usually do the trick, it's the same way you shoot a bow.

Cat91
01-04-2005, 17:09
I used to switch hands and pull back on my 23 with my strong hand.

Hate to have to do that in a fight, though.

Miao, Cat

pete1953
01-10-2005, 20:08
If the gun has a hammer that locks back when you rack the slide, pull the hammer back by itself first. Other than thatuse the push pull method - Push the frame and pull the slide back.

Melissa Ann
01-11-2005, 13:42
The push-pull method described works really well. I just hold the slide firmly in my left hand and push the frame of the gun with my right (I'm right-handed).

take care,
melissa :)

AdrianaS79
01-11-2005, 23:53
Originally posted by misskitty5077
Does she use a lot of hand lotion?

Even when you think it is all absorbed, it can still interfere with your grip more than you think ;)

Replace she with he and the first question becomes a helluva lot funnier.

To the thread starter; get that broad to the gym, is she a waif-ish or something?

Maybe you need to learn a lesson in proper lubrication?

Just my suggestions.

Kilroy
01-20-2005, 11:06
...but make sure that the muzzle is pointed in a relatively safe place. It gets a bit easy to point the pistol in your own direction when you push/pull.

SouthernGal
01-20-2005, 13:37
Originally posted by Melissa Ann
The push-pull method described works really well. I just hold the slide firmly in my left hand and push the frame of the gun with my right (I'm right-handed).

take care,
melissa :)

Same here, no problems.

Melissa Ann
01-20-2005, 14:03
...but make sure that the muzzle is pointed in a relatively safe place. It gets a bit easy to point the pistol in your own direction when you push/pull.
And if you're paying so little attention to what you're doing that you do that, you ought to not be on the range anyway. I know if I did that and my bf saw me, he'd take the gun from me and we'd have a remedial class of sorts on basic safety.
"Never point the gun at something you are not prepared to destroy."

Arizona
01-28-2005, 04:19
Weight training does wonders.

polygonal
01-29-2005, 01:09
Barretta .380 Tip Up barrel. No racking the slide. Just tip up the barrel (chamber end) and pop in a round. Then snap it back down and insert a full mag and you are good to go.

Just a suggestion because my wife can't seem to rack any slide. She definately could use some weight traing but doubt she will. So I believe I will buy her the Barretta. Also it's a medium size gun with a lighter recoiling round which should make shooting it a breeze. And it does have "some" one shot stop potential. I'll try that push pull technique first though....thanks for the tip.....;j

pete1953
01-29-2005, 23:19
When I was going to have surgery on my strong side wrist and it would be out of action for about six weeks, I practiced for three weeks loading and reloading as well as shooting with one hand behind my back. It was good practice in case I was injured during a firefight and had to stay in action. I initially practiced at home with dummy rounds and then when it was going smooth, I went too my club range for live fire drills. It was a challenge, but I eventually learned what worked and what was safe. Also what worked, but covered my body with the muzzle and I would have used in an emergency. I recommend we all practice that skill set. With regard to racking the slide, I would turn the gun upside down and press the slide against a firm immoveable object (floor, table, furniture, hooked sight on belt) if possible hooking the sights to help hold the slide stationary, and then push the receiver body forward to rack the slide. Not pretty, care must be taken to be safe, but can get the job done in an emergency. If both hands are available, develop hand strength, use push/pull method, get a tilt up barreled gun or revolver.

okie
02-18-2005, 04:42
Originally posted by MrMurphy
Push-pull. Assuming she's righty, push the frame away from you with the "gun hand" and pull back simultaneously with the left hand on the slide.

This'll usually do the trick, it's the same way you shoot a bow.
Yup thats the way to do it;) :cool:

MrsKey
02-18-2005, 07:44
Originally posted by Melissa Ann

I don't usually have problems with racking the slide - but on occasion I'll come across a gun that has a stiffer slide than I am used to and the push-pull method works really well.

Also - if she isn't interested in going to the gym - try just getting her a grip strengthener like this (http://www.martialartsmart.net/20-79.html) at Wal-Mart for less than 5 bucks and a couple set of dumbells 2-5 pounds and have her do some grip and wrist strenthening exercises.

It will improve not only her ability to rack the slide but also her ability to shoot accurately as stronger hands and wrists reduces fatigue (and limp wristing).

AggiePhil
05-27-2005, 18:06
Go with a revolver. :)

Rabid Rabbit
06-01-2005, 07:02
Turn perpendicular to where the muzzle will be pointing.
With gun in strong hand like you are going to shoot it, bring gun up to chest level.
Weak hand grabs the slide overhand style.
At the same time push slide towards each other.

Melissa Ann
06-01-2005, 09:27
With that, just be careful you (she) don't shove the muzzle of the gun into the bend of your (her) elbow. Sounds silly. It happens. Try it. See how close you come to sweeping yourself with the muzzle. I used to rack the slide like that, saw someone else do it carelessly, and cured myself of it.

Rabid Rabbit
06-02-2005, 19:41
If your not careful I can see that happening.

Weston
08-15-2005, 17:58
Originally posted by pluvo
My wife has a hard time racking the slide on any of my autos.

Do any of you ladies (or girly men ;)) have any tips or tricks I can share with her?

my wife does too. glock was her nemesis. we eventually arrived at three pistols for her use. Two small caliber revolvers and a 9 mm model 92f, which has an exposed hammer that she thumbs back before racking. seems to work.

obxprnstar
08-15-2005, 20:43
I have nothing of any substance to add.